The Student Room Group

Barts and the London (QMUL) A101 2020 Entry

Welcome to the Barts and the London (QMUL) A101 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergraduate/courses/a101/

For entry requirements click: https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergraduate/courses/full-entry-requirements/medicine-graduate-entry-mbbs/

Barts Medicine 2020 Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6385692

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi guys,

Very early on but just getting my head around the applications process and finding the relavent threads! Maybe people could post their stats and where they're applying to etc.. so we can get get a bit of a conversation going.

My first degree was MEng Mechanical engineering (1st), I graduated this summer. Last cycle I had interviews at Barts, Southampton, and Newcastle but was unsuccesful for all three. This year I'm applying to those three plus Nottingham so I'll be taking the GAMSAT and the UKCAT.

:smile:
Original post by Ellios
Hi guys,

Very early on but just getting my head around the applications process and finding the relavent threads! Maybe people could post their stats and where they're applying to etc.. so we can get get a bit of a conversation going.

My first degree was MEng Mechanical engineering (1st), I graduated this summer. Last cycle I had interviews at Barts, Southampton, and Newcastle but was unsuccesful for all three. This year I'm applying to those three plus Nottingham so I'll be taking the GAMSAT and the UKCAT.

:smile:

Hi, I'm currently away to begin my 3rd year of a forensic science degree this September but applying to Barts & KCL for 2020 entry.

I was originally going to sit the GAMSAT and apply to St George's, but after the open day I wasnt so keen and I feel the GAMSAT is quite a big exam to prep for.

when are you sitting your UCAT? I have mine scheduled for the 29th August.
Reply 3
Original post by Jassam17
Hi, I'm currently away to begin my 3rd year of a forensic science degree this September but applying to Barts & KCL for 2020 entry.

I was originally going to sit the GAMSAT and apply to St George's, but after the open day I wasnt so keen and I feel the GAMSAT is quite a big exam to prep for.

when are you sitting your UCAT? I have mine scheduled for the 29th August.

I haven't booked mine yet but ideally as late as possible (last week Sept/ first week Oct) to give me as much time as possible after my GAMSAT on the 11th Sept. How's you prep going? I've not done a whole lot so far but I'm banking on it all still being somewhere in my head after taking it last year
Original post by Ellios
I haven't booked mine yet but ideally as late as possible (last week Sept/ first week Oct) to give me as much time as possible after my GAMSAT on the 11th Sept. How's you prep going? I've not done a whole lot so far but I'm banking on it all still being somewhere in my head after taking it last year

Prep is going ok. id say I'm doing a few hours a day, maybe 3 days a week. It's the timing I'm really trying to focus on. the VR section is so tight for time, especially if it's not the true/false/cant say option.

What did you get on UCAT last year if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 5
Prep is going ok. id say I'm doing a few hours a day, maybe 3 days a week. It's the timing I'm really trying to focus on. the VR section is so tight for time, especially if it's not the true/false/cant say option.

What did you get on UCAT last year if you dont mind me asking?

I got 738 average and band 1 in the SJ seciton, I can't remember my individual scores but they were all relatively close to the average I think.

I feel the same about VR, it's really just a case of practice though, keep at it with the questions!
Original post by Ellios
I got 738 average and band 1 in the SJ seciton, I can't remember my individual scores but they were all relatively close to the average I think.

I feel the same about VR, it's really just a case of practice though, keep at it with the questions!

wow 738 is a brilliant score, if I could get anything around 700 I'd be delighted. practicing every day now as my UCAT is just over 2 weeks away 🙈

Good luck for your exam!
Reply 7
wow 738 is a brilliant score, if I could get anything around 700 I'd be delighted. practicing every day now as my UCAT is just over 2 weeks away 🙈

Good luck for your exam!

Thanks! Let's hope I can keep it up this year...

Good luck!
Hi everyone:tongue:

I will be applying for Barts in October, as well as Birmingham, Oxford and potentially Kings. I sat my UCAT a couple weeks ago and scored 730 and I have also just completed my Biomed degree (I got a 1st).

Good luck to all of you guys sitting the UCAT and/or GAMSAT! You'll smash it :wink:
Reply 10
Hi everyone,

I am also applying for QMUL for 2020 entry, just completed my bachelors with a 1st. How are you guys prepping for the UCAT AR section.
Original post by Ali Alt
Hi everyone,

I am also applying for QMUL for 2020 entry, just completed my bachelors with a 1st. How are you guys prepping for the UCAT AR section.

Hi, congrats on the 1st! I’ve taken the UCAT and did pretty well in AR - I would recommend practising as many questions as possible (I completed the medify question bank) and write a list of all the patterns you come across, or just the ones you get wrong. Keep referring back to the list and you’ll find yourself answering q’s more quickly and easily! Also check out Kharmamedic’s videos on youtube. Good luck :smile:
Hey everyone,

I’m starting my final year of biomed and hoping to apply to Barts for 2020 entry. I’m quite likely to be predicted a first, however got 720 average in the UCAT... does this score seem competitive enough to get an interview?
Reply 13
Original post by cocoabeaneo
Hi, congrats on the 1st! I’ve taken the UCAT and did pretty well in AR - I would recommend practising as many questions as possible (I completed the medify question bank) and write a list of all the patterns you come across, or just the ones you get wrong. Keep referring back to the list and you’ll find yourself answering q’s more quickly and easily! Also check out Kharmamedic’s videos on youtube. Good luck :smile:

Thanks will defo do that
does anyone know the average UCAT percentile people who receive an offer from queen mary get?
Original post by mfaliuk14
does anyone know the average UCAT percentile people who receive an offer from queen mary get?

I also want to know this as well because I don't have a strong UCAT. Please, could some kindly shed some light on us?
Does anyone know, how Barts will score the academic performance?
On their site you'll need to be on third decile or higher I'm vexed with my UCAT (658, band 3) but that seems to just be slightly above third decile last year so it's a bit on the edge right now, otherwise about to start final year of medical biochemistry
Original post by mcschang
On their site you'll need to be on third decile or higher I'm vexed with my UCAT (658, band 3) but that seems to just be slightly above third decile last year so it's a bit on the edge right now, otherwise about to start final year of medical biochemistry

Is there anywhere that we can get the information about people who got interview from Barts last year (e.g. their UCAT scores and degree classification)?
Original post by Miracle989
Is there anywhere that we can get the information about people who got interview from Barts last year (e.g. their UCAT scores and degree classification)?

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a101_barts_medical_school_ucat_s#incoming-1412958

As you can see, Barts places a very heavy weighting on degree classification, for the last 3 years very few people without a 1st have been given an offer and a 2:1 has only been accepted if the candidate has brought a UKCAT score of around 800 with them. We can’t see if those with a 2:1 have higher qualifications also. This isn’t to scare anyone, just pick your choices carefully to give yourselves the best chance of studying medicine.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest