The Student Room Group

I think I’ve made the wrong uni decision

Okay. I’ve got an unconditional offer from St Andrews uni for IR and Philosophy, which I’ve firmed.

But now, I don’t know if it is the right uni for me. I am an assiduous student and aiming to study masters and doctorate in Philosophy, at top unis like Oxford or Harvard.

I think I should have applied to Oxford too. From what I’m seeing, it seems that Oxford undergrad are better taught, and they seem to be more knowledgable on their subjects. Also more Oxford students seem to be getting offers, from Oxford at a masters level, than students from other unis.

I don’t know. I feel really depressed that I’ve put myself on the wrong path. I was one of the best academics at my high school, and was scared applying for a place at Oxford.

Any help and suggestions about my future or how I should deal with this situation?
You are paranoid, St Andrews is a very good university.
Reply 2
Original post by random_matt
You are paranoid, St Andrews is a very good university.

Yes, but the international reputation is really bad, not many people know St Andrews uni outside of the UK. Possibly it will reduce my chance of getting a place at places like Harvard and Princeton when applying for masters.
Original post by Anonymous
Yes, but the international reputation is really bad, not many people know St Andrews uni outside of the UK. Possibly it will reduce my chance of getting a place at places like Harvard and Princeton when applying for masters.

You can transfer to the U.S for undergrad, you’ll still be viewed as an international though. It doesn’t matter to them if you’re from a top 13 school or top 8 school.
Okay. I’ve got an unconditional offer from St Andrews uni for IR and Philosophy, which I’ve firmed.

But now, I don’t know if it is the right uni for me. I am an assiduous student and aiming to study masters and doctorate in Philosophy, at top unis like Oxford or Harvard.

I think I should have applied to Oxford too. From what I’m seeing, it seems that Oxford undergrad are better taught, and they seem to be more knowledgable on their subjects. Also more Oxford students seem to be getting offers, from Oxford at a masters level, than students from other unis.

I don’t know. I feel really depressed that I’ve put myself on the wrong path. I was one of the best academics at my high school, and was scared applying for a place at Oxford.

Any help and suggestions about my future or how I should deal with this situation?

You sound pretty full of yourself. How comes St Andrews is good enough for many other people but yet you're depressed over it.

Either take St Andrews... or take a gap year to try to get a place at Oxford (but you might be rejected).
Reply 5

St Andrews is a good, prestigious university. You will have no problems going there later on in life.
Reply 6
Original post by tbofig
St Andrews is a good, prestigious university. You will have no problems going there later on in life.

So many people think Durham (from whom I rejected an unconditional offer) is better than St Andrews, vice versa.

Which is true and what do you think is the top 3 uni in the UK?
Reply 7
You sound pretty full of yourself. How comes St Andrews is good enough for many other people but yet you're depressed over it.

I’m not really depressed. I feel depressed.

To respond, in an ambitious student. I want I join politics and hopefully be a PM. But most Tory MPs and other party members have graduated from Oxbridge.

I’m just worried I’m going to miss those oxbridge connections which could hinder my opportunity

QS rankings are heavily biased in research output and survey opinions. UG degrees are taught based, not research based, they are irrelevant at your current level. By all means evaluate them when you do a research orientated masters etc.
Reply 9
Original post by random_matt
QS rankings are heavily biased in research output and survey opinions. UG degrees are taught based, not research based, they are irrelevant at your current level. By all means evaluate them when you do a research orientated masters etc.

I see.

To be honest, it was my uncle, who owns a multi billion dollar business, who made think about whether I’ve made the right decision.

My primary motive for UG study is getting an exception teaching.

Is St Andrews good at teaching?
I see.

To be honest, it was my uncle, who owns a multi billion dollar business, who made think about whether I’ve made the right decision.

My primary motive for UG study is getting an exception teaching.

Is St Andrews good at teaching?

They have a very high student satisfaction score, so yes. You should be happy you have a position at the university, go wherever else afterwards.
Goodness, loads of people would be over the moon to get an unconditional offer from St Andrews. St Andrews allows you to do up to three other subjects in the first two years and it's easy to change degree if you feel IR is not for you.

As for Oxford, they do have excellent teaching with very small tutorial groups, but it's also very tough and high pressured. You have one chance to pass your end of year exams, or you're out - no second chances. You also don't have any opportunity to spend a year abroad.

There is no denying, Oxbridge are known worldwide for excellence, but don't forget, St Andrews also has a significant proportion of students from over 80 countries (they also have a billionaire studying there), so it must be doing something right.

Lots of Oxford undergraduates go onto be Oxford postgraduates, but changing university is not a bad thing. Oxbridge know that not everyone can get an undergraduate degree with them and they will respect a good undergraduate degree from St Andrews (or Durham).

My brother did his undergraduate degree, masters and doctorate at Oxford and it really didn't do him any favours!

If this will play on your mind, by all means take a gap year and reapply, but there is no guarantee you'll be accepted.
God I feel the same way but not about Oxford but St. Andrews, I wish I had applied there and not wasted 2 of my UCAS options with 2 unis with very low entry requirements when I had already put 2 others that I will definetly get into...

firstly, everyone has heard of St Andrews in the States which is why it attracts so many US applicants. secondly, omg yesterday i was feeling nostalgic so i went through the facebook profiles of my friends from first year and literally almost all of them doing masters degrees are at (and these are just the ones I've seen): Oxford, Cambridge, UCL and Edinburgh (several times each), Columbia (several times), Princeton and Penn (twice each) and then I've also seen ones like Chicago, Brown and Johns Hopkins. Haven't seen any Harvard, MIT or Stanford masters though
What about starting your studies at St. Andrews and at the same time applying to Oxford?
Maybe you like St. Andrews. Or Oxford rejects you. Then you already started and are not standing there empty handed. But at least you know that you tried :smile: Or is money a problem for you? Then, of course, it would be bad to waste one year of tuition fees. In that case, I would wait another year. Gap years are also cool. I was really burned out from my A levels and needed the break, and it is good to see what live has to offer besides academia.
Reply 15
So many people think Durham (from whom I rejected an unconditional offer) is better than St Andrews, vice versa.

Which is true and what do you think is the top 3 uni in the UK?

Honestly, any of the Russell group unis you would have no problems with later on in life (they are very well thought of). There are also some universities that are not in the Russell group (such as St. Andrews, Loughborough etc...) that you would enjoy the same benefits from.
Reply 16
I’m not really depressed. I feel depressed.

To respond, in an ambitious student. I want I join politics and hopefully be a PM. But most Tory MPs and other party members have graduated from Oxbridge.

I’m just worried I’m going to miss those oxbridge connections which could hinder my opportunity

Yes, this is true. However, Gordon Brown graduated from Edinburgh. Get a good degree from St Andrews and you’ll have no problems.

Either take St Andrews... or take a gap year to try to get a place at Oxford (but you might be rejected).

People can have higher expectations of themselves and so when don't achieve what they expected they aren't as happy as someone who would have expected that. Just because they are upset dose not make them arrogant. Plus you said 'good enough' which kind of disagrees with your point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending