The Student Room Group

Cambridge unofficial GCSE requirements? Could I get into Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
It's correct. It's less at Oxford because they use their Admissions Tests to deselect candidates prior to interview whereas Cambridge interviews almost everyone who has a realistic chance of meeting their typical entry requirements.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/interviews

Ohh right. Thank you for telling me, do you know roughly how much (%) are made an offer each year?
Reply 21
Original post by Illimitable
Ohh right. Thank you for telling me, do you know roughly how much (%) are made an offer each year?

This will tell you: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

Thank you. That's a huge cut down from 80% being interviewed.
Reply 23
Thank you. That's a huge cut down from 80% being interviewed.

However, the interview is just one more aspect of an application. It's no more important than some other parts of an application. Cambridge views everything holistically.
Original post by jneill
However, the interview is just one more aspect of an application. It's no more important than some other parts of an application. Cambridge views everything holistically.

Oh ok. Everything matters then when applying to Cambridge?
Reply 25
Oh ok. Everything matters then when applying to Cambridge?

Yes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doones
There are NO unofficial requirements. What Cambridge says on their entry requirements they mean, otherwise they would be wasting their time and that of potential applicants.

Bottomline, if you are on target to meet their tyical requirements (A*AA for Law) then apply.

(thanks @Reality Check for the tag :smile: )

I got 6 A* 4 As and 1 B (further-maths) in GCSEs including a country distinction in math, and i want to pursue law. i've done ample reading and work related to law, and reallllyyyyy want to get in to Cambridge Law. however my AS results were not very good, i got ABBB, in math econ history and literature, i'm having the econ paper rechecked hopefully bumping that upto an AABB.

And my Predicted grades will be A*A*AB as my term and mock grades were very good. Assuming my Personal Statement is golden, how slim are my chances at getting even an interview considering my AS grades ?
Reply 27
Original post by LegallyBlonde27
I got 6 A* 4 As and 1 B (further-maths) in GCSEs including a country distinction in math, and i want to pursue law. i've done ample reading and work related to law, and reallllyyyyy want to get in to Cambridge Law. however my AS results were not very good, i got ABBB, in math econ history and literature, i'm having the econ paper rechecked hopefully bumping that upto an AABB.

And my Predicted grades will be A*A*AB as my term and mock grades were very good. Assuming my Personal Statement is golden, how slim are my chances at getting even an interview considering my AS grades ?

They interview nearly all applicants (usually 75-80%).

Did you actually sit externally marked AS-levels? Or where these internal exams?
Original post by Doones

Did you actually sit externally marked AS-levels? Or where these internal exams?

externally marked AS levels, i have the CAIE board exams and got my results today, initially when i saw my grades i felt like i died and with me all my dreams too....
and now i'm here seeking validation from strangers 🙃
I passed my Cambridge interview with 6 GCSE’s. AABBBC and I only did biology for science. They don’t care about GCSE’s just A Levels and what you have done outside of school, such as work experience and wider reading etc. I suggest reading books about law, perhaps a biography from a barrister (or what you want to do)
Reply 30
externally marked AS levels, i have the CAIE board exams and got my results today, initially when i saw my grades i felt like i died and with me all my dreams too....
and now i'm here seeking validation from strangers 🙃

Well they do still give some attention to AS-levels so yes, it's not ideal .. but the 100% guaranteed way to not getting an offer is by not applying :wink:
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
I passed my Cambridge interview with 6 GCSE’s. AABBBC and I only did biology for science. They don’t care about GCSE’s just A Levels and what you have done outside of school, such as work experience and wider reading etc. I suggest reading books about law, perhaps a biography from a barrister (or what you want to do)

my main concern is the ABBB i just got in my AS, will that hold me back too much ?
I wouldn’t think so. I didn’t do AS and most colleges don’t anymore. The main assessment is what you get in the exam before interview invites.
I wouldn’t think so. I didn’t do AS and most colleges don’t anymore. The main assessment is what you get in the exam before interview invites.

i was not aware of that, thank you so much !!!
i was not aware of that, thank you so much !!!

It’s okay. My best advice is do practice papers and read around. Also mention your wider reading in your ucas personal statement because it will look amazing for all your unis!!
It’s okay. My best advice is do practice papers and read around. Also mention your wider reading in your ucas personal statement because it will look amazing for all your unis!!

this summer i made sure to read a lot of philosophy and during my internship i did quite a bit of legal reading and got a feel for legal jargon as well, i'll make sure to incorporate that in my PS
Original post by Doones

What makes you think that ABBB wouldn't be in the bottom 20-25% of Cambridge law applicants (given it's such a self-selecting group)?
Original post by Palmyra
What makes you think that ABBB wouldn't be in the bottom 20-25% of Cambridge law applicants (given it's such a self-selecting group)?

valid point, but i just have to ask ? what's with all the negativity ?

not to mention, while ABBB just might be in the lower 20-25% i did score a distinction in my GCSEs, that does help set me apart. And my personal statement will also be highlighting the fact that i'm a fairly well decorated debater as well as multiple time MUN best delegate alongside the multiple entrepreneurship competitions i won.

i have to say, u seem extremely dismissive of any positives in my application ....
valid point, but i just have to ask ? what's with all the negativity ?

not to mention, while ABBB just might be in the lower 20-25% i did score a distinction in my GCSEs, that does help set me apart. And my personal statement will also be highlighting the fact that i'm a fairly well decorated debater as well as multiple time MUN best delegate alongside the multiple entrepreneurship competitions i won.

i have to say, u seem extremely dismissive of any positives in my application ....

You asked for opinions and I gave mine. I said your application would still be worth a punt.
Original post by Palmyra
You asked for opinions and I gave mine. I said your application would still be worth a punt.

alright then, fair enough

Quick Reply

Latest