The Student Room Group

Russell Group admitting students with CDD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harrysbar
It's definitely cheaper to retake A levels and doesn't tie students down to any one uni if they decide after a few months or the first year that they have made a mistake with their choice of uni, since they haven't used any of their student finance allocation.

As @muttley pointed out, however, it could be more difficult to retake Science A levels privately due to the practical element of the course

Oh I didn’t consider that, my school allows students to retake for free and with the help of teachers and equipment to be able to complete practical assessments and coursework.
Reply 41
Original post by emmamaymurphy
I can’t seem to find this on their website? Could you send the link please? Many thanks

https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/how-to-apply/guaranteed-offers/
Ah thank you @harrysbar - they had that for regular 2019 admissions too.
I can’t seem to find this on their website? Could you send the link please? Many thanks

Hello Emma, to answer your query you can find information about the guaranteed offers here > https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/how-to-apply/guaranteed-offers/
If you would like to know in more detail please don't hesitate to get in touch with us via [email protected] or give us a call using the number on the website

Thanks!
Alex (current student)
Thanks Alex. Have a son who is concerned about meeting his offers (insurance is at Swansea), so just getting organised for results day. Am assuming (hoping) that if he misses his offer that Swansea will automatically consider him for the equivalent foundation course if applicable?
Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
Hello Emma, to answer your query you can find information about the guaranteed offers here > https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/how-to-apply/guaranteed-offers/
If you would like to know in more detail please don't hesitate to get in touch with us via [email protected] or give us a call using the number on the website

Thanks!
Alex (current student)

This is amazing, they are already desperate to start mopping up all the revenue from students their willing to make anyone a conditional results day offer, this is madness.

Quite simply this practice should be banned, their running it like a for-profit business just trying to get as many people in so they get more money from the government.
Not in students best interest, not in educations best interest, not in researches best interest.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by mnot
This is amazing, they are already desperate to start mopping up all the revenue from students their willing to make anyone a conditional results day offer, this is madness.

Quite simply this practice should be banned, their running it like a for-profit business just trying to get as many people in so they get more money from the government.
Not in students best interest, not in educations best interest, not in researches best interest.

Ultimately, it's the government who've made higher education into a marketplace, and unis do need to cover their costs. How else do you think they maintain their facilities and pay their staff? If unis start going to the wall or stop running more expensive courses, that won't be great for students or research either.

Unis also know that in the next couple of years, the number of uni based 18yos will start to go up again, which will mean increased student numbers- this year and next year are going to be the most difficult for them, demographically.

However, it's also up to students to obviously research the situation and choose the route/offer that's best for them.
This worries me slightly, grants people false hope when they're eventually admitted into an AAA/AAB course only to find out that they may struggle on the actual course itself.

I'd spoken to someone at Sheffield that had taken a foundation year in Politics, they excelled in the foundation year but really struggled this year when their undergrad started, it sounds like the difference in content was quite a big leap. I feel bad for the lad because he ended up dropping out close to the end of the year.
Original post by mnot

Hi @mnot,

I just want to respond with some clarifying information about this policy to clear up any misconceptions. Obviously, from there you are entirely entitled to your opinion on it!

We want to provide an avenue to as many people as possible to Higher Education, and this policy allows us to do that. It doesn't mean that everyone will be able to take up a place because of it - it just means that a route to do so is clear. The offers still have conditions, and those conditions are still designed with suitability for succeeding on the course in mind, and not everyone will obtain said conditions. It does, however, provide everyone with the opportunity to achieve this, and a target to work towards if they don't in this academic year.

For any questions about this policy, please do email in to us directly at [email protected] and we will be happy to clarify any further points!

Jamie
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Ultimately, it's the government who've made higher education into a marketplace, and unis do need to cover their costs. How else do you think they maintain their facilities and pay their staff? If unis start going to the wall or stop running more expensive courses, that won't be great for students or research either.

Unis also know that in the next couple of years, the number of uni based 18yos will start to go up again, which will mean increased student numbers- this year and next year are going to be the most difficult for them, demographically.

However, it's also up to students to obviously research the situation and choose the route/offer that's best for them.

What worries me about what Swansea are doing is worried students who are emotional etc, picking the phone up in a panic then agree to go to Swansea ahead of results day if things don't go ideally which may not be in their best interest. Maybe this is just my opinion but its preying on students ahead of time, Universities should not be looking to exploit potential students misfortune.
Original post by mnot
What worries me about what Swansea are doing is worried students who are emotional etc, picking the phone up in a panic then agree to go to Swansea ahead of results day if things don't go ideally which may not be in their best interest. Maybe this is just my opinion but its preying on students ahead of time, Universities should not be looking to exploit potential students misfortune.

I do agree that some unis are starting to lean towards pressure sales tactics, which isn't ideal. However, they've been put in this position by the government and are just trying to survive.

Hopefully, students will take the time to think about their choices, and nothing they agree to at this time will be set in stone. Until they add Swansea as a clearing choice, they haven't agreed to anything.

If you've got a problem with how the uni are behaving specifically on this thread, I'd suggest you report the post and explain why you have done so.
Reply 51
It's all about bums on seats. There is obviously a knock-on effect so if a BSc take-up is unexpectedly low they lower the requirements in clearing so consequently have to lower the requirements even more for foundation.

The negative is with much lowered entry requirements equating to a lower standard of student are more students going to fail the foundation year?
Reply 52
Original post by mnot

I have my own reservations about the mushrooming of Foundation years at so many unis but to be fair to Swansea, they are no different to many others and the opposite side of the coin is, they do suit many people. Russell Group unis are offering them too - hence the title of this thread - so I wouldn't want to single out any one Higher Education provider as being exploitative. They will all be promoting their Foundation years in Clearing and beyond
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I do agree that some unis are starting to lean towards pressure sales tactics, which isn't ideal. However, they've been put in this position by the government and are just trying to survive.

Hopefully, students will take the time to think about their choices, and nothing they agree to at this time will be set in stone. Until they add Swansea as a clearing choice, they haven't agreed to anything.

If you've got a problem with how the uni are behaving specifically on this thread, I'd suggest you report the post and explain why you have done so.

No nothing they've said on TSR, I just resent this scheme to attract students the management team have implemented, Swansea are definitely not the only ones playing these games, ive seen other Unis at this every year, this is just the most obvious, I think UCAS or DoE should prevent Unis treating students as pawns worth 9K/year.
Original post by mnot
No nothing they've said on TSR, I just resent this scheme to attract students the management team have implemented, Swansea are definitely not the only ones playing these games, ive seen other Unis at this every year, this is just the most obvious, I think UCAS or DoE should prevent Unis treating students as pawns worth 9K/year.

This is outside of UCAS' remit unfortunately.

The DofE are limited in what they can do in this sort of situation, when they're under pressure from all sides about the uni funding situation. Their policies have led to higher education becoming a market place, and they know this. Unless they're willing to start funding unis centrally again, they can't stop policies like this, because they know some unis will go bust- and that will look really bad for the government.

The government also know STEM courses are in general the most expensive for unis to run (most cost well over £9k a year) and they don't want to put unis in a position where they start having to cut/reduce these courses.

FWIW, I do agree that something needs to change- e.g. go back to partial government funding of courses alongside government imposed quotas of student numbers, but there isn't the political will to do this at the moment.
Original post by harrysbar
I have my own reservations about the mushrooming of Foundation years at so many unis but to be fair to Swansea, they are no different to many others and the opposite side of the coin is, they do suit many people. Russell Group unis are offering them too - hence the title of this thread - so I wouldn't want to single out any one Higher Education provider as being exploitative. They will all be promoting their Foundation years in Clearing and beyond

Not everyone reaches their best academic standards by A level. I myself messed up my A levels and went to a poly (NTU) rather than my planned Uni, but got my studying sorted, went on to get a first, then qualified first time as an ACA. Without the opportunity to enter higher education with lower grades, this wouldn’t have been possible. Many students these days can’t achieve BBB/BBC at A level, so the chance to access a course they’re genuinely interested in (thus likely to do better in) via an additional year at foundation level, is a welcome opportunity for them.
Reply 56
Not everyone reaches their best academic standards by A level. I myself messed up my A levels and went to a poly (NTU) rather than my planned Uni, but got my studying sorted, went on to get a first, then qualified first time as an ACA. Without the opportunity to enter higher education with lower grades, this wouldn’t have been possible. Many students these days can’t achieve BBB/BBC at A level, so the chance to access a course they’re genuinely interested in (thus likely to do better in) via an additional year at foundation level, is a welcome opportunity for them.

I'm not completely against foundation years, if you read the whole thread you will see that I can see pros and cons to them and I can certainly understand that they are very appealing to someone who is desperate to get into a particular uni or onto a particular course by any means. They do work well for a lot of students but equally, young people need to be aware of the fact that they are building up extra debt which they might not need to do if they retook their A levels instead or chose a different course with lower entry requirements. If they have thought it all through and still believe the foundation year is right for them, that's their choice and no problem. Some of us are only really questioning whether the unis are bring quite ethical in advertising them so heavily, as Clearing is a time when young people are prone to making rash decisions.

If it's any consolation, my own son got into uni through an unconditional offer scheme and they are equally controversial! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending