The Student Room Group

Ask a student who went through Clearing!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stathis Hous
Hi there! I have several questions about the clearing process. I applied for Chemical Engineering and I am an International Baccalaureate (IB) student, so my results were released on 5 July. My scores fell just below the conditions of both my firm and insurance, both asking for a 6/7 in Higher Level Mathematics (I scored 5/7). However, after contacting my firm university I was told that they would notify me of their decision on A-Level results day (15 Aug) since I am a "near miss" applicant. Since then I have looked at the possible clearing courses should my firm university reject me.

I applied for Chemical Engineering but the Clearing course I am interested in is Chemistry. Would it be advisable to prepare a different personal statement?

At what time on results day will I be notified of my firm university's decision? In your experience, was this early or later during the day?

My current score qualifies me for Chemistry in some great universities. In the case that my firm university takes some time to notify me of their decision and I enter clearing the next day (16 Aug), will it harm my chances of getting accepted by any of these unis?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regarding the different personal statement for Chemistry, it is unlikely that you will need a different personal statement as the courses are somewhat similar - but it wouldn't hurt just to prepare a brief one. Even if it doesn't get used, it will help you to list why you are interested in Chemistry and well suited for the course in case you have to talk about it on the phone on A level results day.

I would expect you to hear from your Firm and Insurance choice unis first thing on A level results day about whether they are going to accept you or not (if your Firm uni reject you, it will then be up to your Insurance to tell you their decision so you have 2 chances). The unis have had the A level results since the weekend, so there is no excuce for them not to have made their decisions about who they are going to accept/decline by the morning of the 15th.

Things move quickly in Clearing so if you are going to be contacting other great unis, it is best to do it asap, and I can't say whether they will still have places on the 16th
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi so I'm a bit confused, if I want to go through clearing I get my clearing number on results day and not before right?

Should I phone unis to see whether the courses I want will be in clearing, for example Uni of Bham have a list on their website of what might be on clearing but I want ti make sure.
Original post by poppie123
Hi so I'm a bit confused, if I want to go through clearing I get my clearing number on results day and not before right?

Should I phone unis to see whether the courses I want will be in clearing, for example Uni of Bham have a list on their website of what might be on clearing but I want ti make sure.

Hi there :smile:
You may be able to release yourself into clearing before results day and then get a clearing number
However - if you are going to wait and see how your results are and then if your firm/insurance choice will take you - you will need to wait until results day :smile:

You can phone them - however if they have said on their website that this course is in clearing - it will be in clearing and have spaces up until they are all taken (usually they update the website)

Hope this helps :hugs: you're gonna be alright :five:

You won't get your Clearing number until you're actually in Clearing, and that won't happen until you are rejected by your unis (if you are) or you reject them. To be in Clearing you need to hold no offers, so if you are waiting for A level results at the moment, you won't get your Clearing number until August 15th
Original post by Stathis Hous
Hi there! I have several questions about the clearing process. I applied for Chemical Engineering and I am an International Baccalaureate (IB) student, so my results were released on 5 July. My scores fell just below the conditions of both my firm and insurance, both asking for a 6/7 in Higher Level Mathematics (I scored 5/7). However, after contacting my firm university I was told that they would notify me of their decision on A-Level results day (15 Aug) since I am a "near miss" applicant. Since then I have looked at the possible clearing courses should my firm university reject me.

I applied for Chemical Engineering but the Clearing course I am interested in is Chemistry. Would it be advisable to prepare a different personal statement?

At what time on results day will I be notified of my firm university's decision? In your experience, was this early or later during the day?

My current score qualifies me for Chemistry in some great universities. In the case that my firm university takes some time to notify me of their decision and I enter clearing the next day (16 Aug), will it harm my chances of getting accepted by any of these unis?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Your firm should have made their decision by first thing on Thursday and that should show on Track. They've had your results for weeks and it would be highly unprofessional of them to keep you waiting longer.
If for some reason Track hasn't updated on Thursday then ring them up ASAP, ask to speak to a senior member of staff and ask them to either make a decision that morning or reject you ASAP so that you can find a place elsewhere in Clearing. If they had any intention of accepting you then that will generally prompt them into apologies for the delay and an acceptance showing on Track within a few hours - if they do reject you then that was what they were planning to do all along.
Original post by harrysbar
You won't get your Clearing number until you're actually in Clearing, and that won't happen until you are rejected by your unis (if you are) or you reject them. To be in Clearing you need to hold no offers, so if you are waiting for A level results at the moment, you won't get your Clearing number until August 15th

should i call up the unis that I'm looking at now to ask about courses?
Once you’ve been offered a clearing place and added them as a choice in track how long does it normally take the university to confirm your place on track?
should i call up the unis that I'm looking at now to ask about courses?

You can phone them up to check which courses you might be able to apply to but without your A level grades, nothing can be confirmed
Original post by HobbinsE
Once you’ve been offered a clearing place and added them as a choice in track how long does it normally take the university to confirm your place on track?

That depends on the university - anything from an hour or so to 48 hours (or sometimes a bit longer if you add them at 5pm on Friday and there's no one in with access to weblink over the weekend).
As long as you tell them your results and qualifications clearly over the phone and meet the deadlines for adding a choice it should all be fine. If your qualifications are unusual (including if you have BTECs which confuse some of the most experienced admissions staff and half the people teaching them!) then ask the university to email to confirm what qualifications they've listed for you (and make sure that you read out the EXACT title of the qualification and exam board of anything more complex than A levels)
Original post by PQ
That depends on the university - anything from an hour or so to 48 hours (or sometimes a bit longer if you add them at 5pm on Friday and there's no one in with access to weblink over the weekend).
As long as you tell them your results and qualifications clearly over the phone and meet the deadlines for adding a choice it should all be fine. If your qualifications are unusual (including if you have BTECs which confuse some of the most experienced admissions staff and half the people teaching them!) then ask the university to email to confirm what qualifications they've listed for you (and make sure that you read out the EXACT title of the qualification and exam board of anything more complex than A levels)

Thank you, I had an offer as I did an access course and added them on Thursday at 6pm but track went down on Friday so I’ll have to wait for results day now I just wanted to check it wouldn’t be any later than that because off applying for accommodation.
(edited 4 years ago)
How do you get over the fact that you didn't make the uni you chose? I feel so demoralised not having made the grades. Although somehow managed to get a place through clearing for Southampton electrical and electronics (with actual requirements of A*AA). I feel like I got it by fluke and don't deserve it.
Also, how long did it take for you to come to terms with being in a university you didn't intend to go to?
Original post by Martin2343
How do you get over the fact that you didn't make the uni you chose? I feel so demoralised not having made the grades. Although somehow managed to get a place through clearing for Southampton electrical and electronics (with actual requirements of A*AA). I feel like I got it by fluke and don't deserve it.
Also, how long did it take for you to come to terms with being in a university you didn't intend to go to?

Personal story time.

I'm Swansea born and bred, Swansea University alumni and now work here. But Swansea wasn't actually my first choice! I'd targeted a university with higher requirements, and honestly not necessarily for all of the right reasons. There was girl back then that I liked who was planning to do the same :colondollar:

Results day came, and while very respectable, my results instead saw me coming to my insurance choice - Swansea University, the university down the road. I was gutted... for about the amount of time between results day and a week before moving into halls. I moved into my accommodation, quickly made some really good friends who I later lived with (seriously, freshers is an almost surreal experience with how easy it is to meet people), and almost immediately forgot how much I was convinced going to the other university was critical to me only a few months prior. I did well with my studies thanks to some great support (a hospital stay with pneumonia hit me in the first year that saw the university help me recover while keeping me on track), grew enormously as a person and have honestly never regretted my unintended time as a student here - and I can promise you that if that wasn't true I wouldn't have pushed to be here now as the person representing us on this forum!

In short, your feelings are entirely natural, and will likely vanish very quickly. I've been there!

Jamie
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
If you have a question about your Firm or Insurance choices, Clearing or other UCAS-related issues then please ask your question HERE or post in the A Level Results Day FAQ or Clearing and Adjustment FAQ threads.

Hi guys! :hi:

I'm Cheese :wavey: I'm a Vegetable :h: and I went through Clearing to get my University place studying Chemistry at the University of Southampton :woo:

This thread is here to answer any of your questions about going through Clearing, what it is, any worries you have or just any questions about University in general :tongue:

The amazing @Airmed (who has worked on a clearing hotline twice) and the ever so helpful @harrysbar have also agreed to lend a hand with answering any of your questions! Please feel free to tag any of us, we don't bite ( much :mmm: )! @Bio7 was also super helpful last year and so may be able to help out! :yep:

There are loads more of these threads which you can find listed below. They are for different subjects and different Universities so please take a look!

If you would also like to offer a helping hand, just let us know! :ta:

Useful Links:
What is Clearing? How does it work and what are the steps?
University Clearing Vacancy lists
Clearing Threads and Help from Universities Themselves
Last year's thread!
UCAS's new "release from firm directly into clearing button" FAQs

The Steps of Going Through Clearing:
Step 1: on results day both firm and insurance uni choices reject you. Or you may have released yourself into clearing after careful consideration that you no longer wish to go to your firm/insurance options and that another opportunity has been found better suited to you!
You are in clearing and are given a clearing number.

Step 2: phone up unis you want to apply to and see if you can get a place. This involves stating your clearing number, name, phone number and grades and saying why you want to go to said uni/do said course.

Step 3: if they offer you a place, consider it and wait for an email with confirmation of a place for which you can apply to using UCAS. If successful skip to 5.

Step 4: if unsuccessful repeat step 2-3.

Step 5: consider all places offered by researching and doing a pro/con list for each. Then enter your chosen uni + course into UCAS using your clearing number after you have confirmation of a place being offered by a uni.

Step 6: time to celebrate aka pizza time, u earned it you're off to Uni :woo:

Does clearing have any disadvantages compared to firm choice ?
Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
Personal story time.

I'm Swansea born and bred, Swansea University alumni and now work here. But Swansea wasn't actually my first choice! I'd targeted a university with higher requirements, and honestly not necessarily for all of the right reasons. There was girl back then that I liked who was planning to do the same :colondollar:

Results day came, and while very respectable, my results instead saw me coming to my insurance choice - Swansea University, the university down the road. I was gutted... for about the amount of time between results day and a week before moving into halls. I moved into my accommodation, quickly made some really good friends who I later lived with (seriously, freshers is an almost surreal experience with how easy it is to meet people), and almost immediately forgot how much I was convinced going to the other university was critical to me only a few months prior. I did well with my studies thanks to some great support (a hospital stay with pneumonia hit me in the first year that saw the university help me recover while keeping me on track), grew enormously as a person and have honestly never regretted my unintended time as a student here - and I can promise you that if that wasn't true I wouldn't have pushed to be here now as the person representing us on this forum!

In short, your feelings are entirely natural, and will likely vanish very quickly. I've been there!

Jamie

That's actually such a similar story, thanks for sharing. Everything feels rushed and scarier since you anticipated knowing someone going with you (the girl you mentioned e.g)
So I went through clearing and put the university I wanted down after I called them on the phone.

How long do I have to wait for the decision?
It says university is currently considering your application.
I already got the email saying they gave me an offer after I called them yesterday.

So how long does it take before I’m officially accepted.
I really want to relax and go on but I can’t but be a bit scared that I’ve done something wrong. If I did and I have to do it again there will be no more spaces at good unis so I’m kind of stressed out.

So what’s like the average wait time?
And when would I get any information telling me when I’ll start uni and stuff like that?
Original post by Martin2343
That's actually such a similar story, thanks for sharing. Everything feels rushed and scarier since you anticipated knowing someone going with you (the girl you mentioned e.g)

No problem!

Best of luck with Southampton, and congratulations on your place. You have absolutely earned the right to be there!

Jamie
Original post by Rhodesian
So I went through clearing and put the university I wanted down after I called them on the phone.

How long do I have to wait for the decision?
It says university is currently considering your application.
I already got the email saying they gave me an offer after I called them yesterday.

So how long does it take before I’m officially accepted.
I really want to relax and go on but I can’t but be a bit scared that I’ve done something wrong. If I did and I have to do it again there will be no more spaces at good unis so I’m kind of stressed out.

So what’s like the average wait time?
And when would I get any information telling me when I’ll start uni and stuff like that?

Which university is it? The answer is essentially from here that all of that will happen very quickly, but perhaps the university in question has some representation on here to give you the specifics.

Jamie
Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
Which university is it? The answer is essentially from here that all of that will happen very quickly, but perhaps the university in question has some representation on here to give you the specifics.

Jamie

It’s Warwick and I really hope it get it by today.

I think I’m going to call them later if it hasn’t just to make sure everything’s all right.
Original post by Rhodesian
It’s Warwick and I really hope it get it by today.

I think I’m going to call them later if it hasn’t just to make sure everything’s all right.

Best of luck. I'm confident everything is fine though - Clearing has been extra busy this year for everyone and as such it's just a case of admissions teams getting through things as they come in as quickly as they can :smile:

Jamie
Original post by Airmed
I didn't go through Clearing but have worked twice on a Clearing helpline :smile:

do graduate students also have clearing and do international students applying to UK universities also have clearing if rejected by all universities?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending