MAARIYA R
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I will be sitting both maths and literacy skills tests on Wednesday.
I was wondering whether the online free tests were similar to the real ones?
do they go as fast as those?
Regards
tomlam
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Similar yeah, but not the same.
Practice is necessary, but don't get too caught up on it because I'd say there's nothing on the test that a fair grade in GCSE maths hasn't covered. It's all about splitting up the question into manageable sections. As for English, there's not a lot you can do to prepare,but if you read at all it'll help.
Kc123645
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, the timings are the same. The layout also looks exactly the same. Good luck!
mocoduckling96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MAARIYA R)
Regards
Hi, I sat the maths and literacy skills tests about a week ago. Most of the practice tests I found were not timed, however I can confirm that the ones on the GOV website, qtsmathstutor.co.uk and literacyskillstest.co.uk are really accurate to the real ones and are timed. I cannot recommend enough that you get used to the fast pace of the mental arithmetic part of the maths skills test as I was unaware- it was definitely my downfall in the real test! Also, I think it'd be helpful for you to know that unless you have proof of being hearing impaired, you will have to listen to most of the questions with headphones in the real tests- they are not shown on screen. Good luck and I hope this helps!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Regards
The timings and the format are the same- the questions will be of a similar difficulty. The level you need for a pass is adjusted slightly depending on how easy/difficult the questions you get are.

Good luck!
MAARIYA R
Rep:
?
(Original post by tomlam)
Similar yeah, but not the same.
Practice is necessary, but don't get too caught up on it because I'd say there's nothing on the test that a fair grade in GCSE maths hasn't covered. It's all about splitting up the question into manageable sections. As for English, there's not a lot you can do to prepare,but if you read at all it'll help.
Thank you!
MAARIYA R
Rep:
?
(Original post by mocoduckling96)
Hi, I sat the maths and literacy skills tests about a week ago. Most of the practice tests I found were not timed, however I can confirm that the ones on the GOV website, qtsmathstutor.co.uk and literacyskillstest.co.uk are really accurate to the real ones and are timed. I cannot recommend enough that you get used to the fast pace of the mental arithmetic part of the maths skills test as I was unaware- it was definitely my downfall in the real test! Also, I think it'd be helpful for you to know that unless you have proof of being hearing impaired, you will have to listen to most of the questions with headphones in the real tests- they are not shown on screen. Good luck and I hope this helps!
Gosh! why does it go so fast! and they're not shown on screen?
Thanks for the luck, I need it!
mocoduckling96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't know, but I wish I had known this and prepared for it because I only realised this during the actual test!:eek: You do get a whiteboard to work on, so when the question is being read out the first time try and jot the main points down. Then the question will be repeated to you, right now I'm trying to train myself to ignore the second reading and focus on the maths problem because you really don't get much quiet time to do it haha! Just practice doing multiplication, division and percentages as fast as you can, after practicing for a week or so i bet you'll boss it.x
MrNobody08
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck!!
MAARIYA R
Rep:
?
(Original post by mocoduckling96)
I don't know, but I wish I had known this and prepared for it because I only realised this during the actual test!:eek: You do get a whiteboard to work on, so when the question is being read out the first time try and jot the main points down. Then the question will be repeated to you, right now I'm trying to train myself to ignore the second reading and focus on the maths problem because you really don't get much quiet time to do it haha! Just practice doing multiplication, division and percentages as fast as you can, after practicing for a week or so i bet you'll boss it.x
I don't have a week, it's tomorrow!
So you didn't pass yours first time round?
I can't afford to not pass it, I don't have the time, eeekk
Honestly it should be slower tho!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Key information should flash up on screen too. You do get a whiteboard so you can use that to note down key facts too.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (198)
24.24%
Pop (200)
24.48%
Jazz (33)
4.04%
Classical (46)
5.63%
Hip-Hop (154)
18.85%