The Student Room Group

what are my chances like at oxbridge law ???

I've wanted to go to either Oxford or Cambridge since before i can even remember, and i'm absolutely certain about Law, i've done numerous internships at law firms, and endless reading on the topic as well. I got 6A*s 4 As and 1 B (furthermaths) in my GCSEs, including a country distinction in mathematics.

However today i got my AS level grades and they've shattered my world. i got ABBB.

Math A
Literature B
History B
Economics B

My predicted will be aproximately A*A*A*B as my term and mock marks were very good. So what do my chances look like for a cambridge law offer ????

Scroll to see replies

Did you post this in Mathematics courses sub-forum thinking someone will actually calculate some sensible probabilities regarding your offer chances?? If so then i'd say it's near 0...
Original post by hassassin04
Did you post this in Mathematics courses sub-forum thinking someone will actually calculate some sensible probabilities regarding your offer chances?? If so then i'd say it's near 0...

my bad wrong forum😬sort of went into panic mode looking for answers ...

pls tell me you're joking about the near 0 part, i'll die
Original post by LegallyBlonde27
my bad wrong forum😬sort of went into panic mode looking for answers ...

pls tell me you're joking about the near 0 part, i'll die

I have no idea about about your chances - you should consult the appropriate forum.
Reply 4
I got an offer to study law at Cambridge, you’re GCSEs are fine, ur ASs aren’t great ngl. I would really recommend dropping a subject and concentrating on three bc there is literally no point in doing four especially if it means ur getting lower grades as a result. I would definitely apply like there shouldn’t be anything stopping you. Especially if you mention you read a lot around the subject and have the internships they love that type of thing. Also ur teachers reference can mention u did really well in ur mocks etc.
How have you had "numerous" law internships at this stage?

Those predicted grades don't match your AS grades. Mocks don't mean anything compared to actual results.

In my opinion your chances are slim but if you're set on it then it's worth a punt.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MNOV
I got an offer to study law at Cambridge, you’re GCSEs are fine, ur ASs aren’t great ngl. I would really recommend dropping a subject and concentrating on three bc there is literally no point in doing four especially if it means ur getting lower grades as a result. I would definitely apply like there shouldn’t be anything stopping you. Especially if you mention you read a lot around the subject and have the internships they love that type of thing. Also ur teachers reference can mention u did really well in ur mocks etc.

Cambridge couldn't care less about legal internships. Such opportunities are rare at the pre-uni stage, so it suggests nepotism more than anything else (aside from the main point that practising law studying law).
I've wanted to go to either Oxford or Cambridge since before i can even remember, and i'm absolutely certain about Law, i've done numerous internships at law firms, and endless reading on the topic as well. I got 6A*s 4 As and 1 B (furthermaths) in my GCSEs, including a country distinction in mathematics.

However today i got my AS level grades and they've shattered my world. i got ABBB.

Math A
Literature B
History B
Economics B

My predicted will be aproximately A*A*A*B as my term and mock marks were very good. So what do my chances look like for a cambridge law offer ????

How did you get your AS results today, the results day is 6am on Thursday 15th and it's considered malpractice for your centre to hand them out early, however, youre centre couldn't have told you as they receive the results at 6am on Wednesday 14th...
Original post by MNOV

thank you so much for the insight,

yea i'm considering dropping a subject if it will benefit my overall out come
Original post by Palmyra
How have you had "numerous" law internships at this stage?

Those predicted grades don't match your AS grades. Mocks don't mean anything compared to actual results.

In my opinion your chances are slim but if you're set on it then it's worth a punt.

I interned last summer as well as this summer, and i didn't mean numerous lol, my bad, i meant more along the lines of i've interned and i've also read a lot on the subject.

my mocks and midterm marks were all well in the 90s, so through the formula used my predicted grades do match my AS 🙃
Original post by ChristophMario
How did you get your AS results today, the results day is 6am on Thursday 15th and it's considered malpractice for your centre to hand them out early, however, youre centre couldn't have told you as they receive the results at 6am on Wednesday 14th...

i live in pakistan, i did the CAIE board and the official date for results was the 13th for us, throughout the entire country. every school received them today.
i live in pakistan, i did the CAIE board and the official date for results was the 13th for us, throughout the entire country. every school received them today.

Ah! That makes sense, just a bit on edge currently as results in the UK are Thursday and just seeing any results were received today shocked me! But yeah, those AS results should be fine, as long as everything is either A or B (which it is), it should be fine!
Original post by MNOV

would u mind if i ask how u did at AS and A level ? i just want a better idea of my chances ( slim as they seem :/ )
Original post by Palmyra
Cambridge couldn't care less about legal internships. Such opportunities are rare at the pre-uni stage, so it suggests nepotism more than anything else (aside from the main point that practising law studying law).

nepotism isn't always the only route ...

i found that sheer resilience and the confidence in my ability was enough to get me an internship.

Also, if i can prove in my PS that i was learning at that internship i think its pretty important. Because, i got to do a lot of reading and the partner i was assigned to was more than willing to help me understand bits i didn't understand. I was also able to help out in the research for cases which was not only eye opening but allowed me to get an idea of the more mundane aspects of legal work.

I'm sure cambridge would appreciate a student taking time to learn abt the law in a corporate environment, can u disagree with that ?
Original post by ChristophMario
Ah! That makes sense, just a bit on edge currently as results in the UK are Thursday and just seeing any results were received today shocked me! But yeah, those AS results should be fine, as long as everything is either A or B (which it is), it should be fine!

I 100% get it, man my grades turned me into a crazy person ! i've literally been online, searching for any signs of hope ever since i got them !!!

good luck with yours tho🤞🏻❤️

i found that sheer resilience and the confidence in my ability was enough to get me an internship.

So, how did you get these "numerous" legal internships?
Reply 16
would u mind if i ask how u did at AS and A level ? i just want a better idea of my chances ( slim as they seem :/ )

I didn’t do AS but was predicted A*A*A* - not got results yet

Math A
Literature B
History B
Economics B

I mean if these are internal AS results then you certainly have a good chance of getting an offer assuming you score well on the LNAT/equivalent and have a strong interview etc. (when i say good, I mean as good a chance as anyone else, so probably 15%)

If these are official results ie ABBB is seen by Oxbridge then probably much lower chance of acceptance.

I also struggle to see how ABBB likely equates to A*A*A*B, this seems an unrealistic prediction with those AS grades.
Reply 18

Also, if i can prove in my PS that i was learning at that internship i think its pretty important. Because, i got to do a lot of reading and the partner i was assigned to was more than willing to help me understand bits i didn't understand. I was also able to help out in the research for cases which was not only eye opening but allowed me to get an idea of the more mundane aspects of legal work.

I'm sure cambridge would appreciate a student taking time to learn abt the law in a corporate environment, can u disagree with that ?

I agree. I did a law internship having applied through a vigorous application process including interviews etc. That matters most is what u learnt from the experience.
Original post by mnot
I mean if these are internal AS results then you certainly have a good chance of getting an offer assuming you score well on the LNAT/equivalent and have a strong interview etc. (when i say good, I mean as good a chance as anyone else, so probably 15%)

If these are official results ie ABBB is seen by Oxbridge then probably much lower chance of acceptance.

I also struggle to see how ABBB likely equates to A*A*A*B, this seems an unrealistic prediction with those AS grades.

the formula used is your mid term % + your mock % + 2 times your AS level ( A is taken as 90 B is 80 etc ) , all over 4. that's the official UCAS suggested formula. I scored very well in my mocks and midterms, which is kinda why these grades shocked me so much, i'm hoping the recheck will sort it out🤞🏻 but otherwise i guess i'm screwed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending