The Student Room Group

4 AH's, aye or nay

I got 3 A's and 2 B's in my Highers. I planned on doing three advanced higher (maths, phys, chem) and nat 5 french which I would then sit the Higher exam for, if allowed.
However, I just found out that I could fit 4 advanced highers (maths, physics, chemistry, biology) and french in my timetable. I plan on applying for theoretical physics or astrophysics and I'm targeting Oxbridge, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Durham and Glasgow.
Should I go for it or is it too much if I only got 3 A's at Higher?
Far too much, imo. AH’s are a completely different kettle of fish to Highers. It would be better to have say 3 good passes in AH’s than to spread yourself too thinly and get 4 Cs or even Ds. Having said that, only you will know whether you would be capable of it, but I’ve never heard of anyone doing 4 AH’s (successfully or otherwise!). I think also unis down south only require 3 AH’s so doing more wouldn’t really give you any more of an advantage, and if you’re applying to Oxbridge they’ll expect 3 As straight away (sometimes they even specify a band 1 A etc). I would forget french (it doesn’t seem to be much use anyway considering what you want to do - you can always learn it on the side) and stick with maths, phys and chem to give yourself the best shot!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by laura10203
I got 3 A's and 2 B's in my Highers. I planned on doing three advanced higher (maths, phys, chem) and nat 5 french which I would then sit the Higher exam for, if allowed.
However, I just found out that I could fit 4 advanced highers (maths, physics, chemistry, biology) and french in my timetable. I plan on applying for theoretical physics or astrophysics and I'm targeting Oxbridge, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Durham and Glasgow.

In agreement with what Joviality has said here! You'd be much better getting 3 A band 1s (Cambridge/Oxford have been known to specify) than AABB or something (though that would of course still be a great set of grades!).

A small number of people do manage 4 AHs in a year, but it's not really recommended, and with 5 subjects you'd have no school time to be able to study (nevermind do the projects for the 3 sciences), s sticking to 3 would probably be the best option.
Reply 3
Hi, I am going to begin studying at St Andrews next month, and, they ask for highers as qualifications mainly. However, even Oxbridge only ask for 3 advanced highers, I'd suggest if you would like to study 3 advanced highers, just study them and no other highers. It is far too much work otherwise and you would not want to weaken your grades giving yourself too much work to do.:smile:
Hey, I did 3AH’s (Maths, Chemistry and Biology) along with Higher Geography last year and I would say that I really regretted it! It was a lot of extra work and I am away to study medicine at Glasgow but all my offers from the 4 medical schools were BBB at AH so they really didn’t care about Geography and some told me to drop it to focus on the others! It doesn’t get you any extra credit and takes up more of your time in 6th year! If you’re doing AH sciences the projects also take up your free periods so it’s better to have more time to spare to improve project quality and boost your mark. At the same time as this I had the geography assignment (similar to french speaking) as well as my university interviews prelims and duties in the Head Team meant that I could barely fit in my hobbies so I would say to think carefully! After hard work I did end up with AAAA but it was tough and totally avoidable so I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone! Do what you have to then take the rest of the time to fulfil other hobbies and duties to boost your personal statement which is what unis are really looking for!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by laura10203

I did 4 AHs which were biology, chemistry, maths and physics but doing 4 doesn’t necessarily increase your chances into oxbridge as I got 4 A’s and I’m going to study aeronautical engineering at Glasgow. But all in all if you have the work ethic and dedication (and I mean a lot of it) I’m sure you could do it.😁
Original post by Joviality
Far too much, imo. AH’s are a completely different kettle of fish to Highers. It would be better to have say 3 good passes in AH’s than to spread yourself too thinly and get 4 Cs or even Ds. Having said that, only you will know whether you would be capable of it, but I’ve never heard of anyone doing 4 AH’s (successfully or otherwise!). I think also unis down south only require 3 AH’s so doing more wouldn’t really give you any more of an advantage, and if you’re applying to Oxbridge they’ll expect 3 As straight away (sometimes they even specify a band 1 A etc). I would forget french (it doesn’t seem to be much use anyway considering what you want to do - you can always learn it on the side) and stick with maths, phys and chem to give yourself the best shot!

I did 6 AHs but definitely would not recommend it if it's subjects with a lot of product work (or at all tbh).

In general I reckon quality not quantity is better and you'll be far better in terms of getting into Oxbridge focussing your efforts on 3 AHs.
Original post by GladstoneBrookes
I did 6 AHs but definitely would not recommend it if it's subjects with a lot of product work (or at all tbh).

In general I reckon quality not quantity is better and you'll be far better in terms of getting into Oxbridge focussing your efforts on 3 AHs.

6 AHs ahah what are you crazy?
What were your results?

6????, hope you passed them ahah.
Original post by fucthesqa
6 AHs ahah what are you crazy?
What were your results?

Original post by Kubsyy
6????, hope you passed them ahah.

All A band 1s actually.
All A band 1s actually.

How? Tell me your secrets. Please!🙏
How did you do so well? BTW, congratulations. 🎉
Reply 11
I’m late. But I would have reccommended doing 3. I am applying for the exact same unis as you and almost chose to apply for astrophysics but changed my mind and picked psychology cause I thought it might be more interesting (hopefully I won’t regret it). English unis make offers based on 3 AHs and decide by looking at past grades and oxbridge look at admission test results quite heavily. I got 5 As at higher (all band 1) so I’m comfortable that my last grades are enough. I am doing maths, physics and chemistry at AH this year and it’s very relaxed, not difficult and not much work, so I hope you chose to do the same. :smile:
Just in case anyone wanted an update. I ended up taking Maths, Physics and Biology at AH and I'm also taking Higher French but I'm not on the register and won't be taking the exam. Originally, I tried to do AH Chemistry alongside these but I quickly fell behind so, I dropped that. Thank you to everyone for the advice. 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending