The Student Room Group

Cambridge unofficial GCSE requirements? Could I get into Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Palmyra
What makes you think that ABBB wouldn't be in the bottom 20-25% of Cambridge law applicants (given it's such a self-selecting group)?

it may well be but AS-levels are not the only thing they look at. it's one slot out of 5. entirely up to the applicant to give it a shot, or not.
Original post by Doones
it may well be but AS-levels are not the only thing they look at. it's one slot out of 5. entirely up to the applicant to give it a shot, or not.

It's clearly the most important thing. Indeed, I said it would be worth a punt. I was just curious because your post implied that ABBB would not be in the bottom 20-25% of candidates, which I don't agree with (based purely on anecdotal evidence of knowing many candidates in my batch apply with ABBB and not get interviews).
Original post by Palmyra
It's clearly the most important thing. Indeed, I said it would be worth a punt. I was just curious because your post implied that ABBB would not be in the bottom 20-25% of candidates, which I don't agree with (based purely on anecdotal evidence of knowing many candidates in my batch apply with ABBB and not get interviews).

I get that my chances are slim right now ( u made that clear lol thnx ) but i'm really hoping the rechecks change that and if not then i'm hoping my PS and other achievements can maybe help my application stand out
Original post by LegallyBlonde27
I get that my chances are slim right now ( u made that clear lol thnx ) but i'm really hoping the rechecks change that and if not then i'm hoping my PS and other achievements can maybe help my application stand out

As long as your predicted grades are high enough then you’ll be fine. It’s commonly thought that a realistic A Level result is a grade above the AS result. Don’t doubt yourself, and remember that there are many other great unis to go to. UCL, Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh etc
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
As long as your predicted grades are high enough then you’ll be fine. It’s commonly thought that a realistic A Level result is a grade above the AS result. Don’t doubt yourself, and remember that there are many other great unis to go to. UCL, Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh etc

thank you for all the advice !!! i really needed guidance after the shock of the result :/ i'm hoping my personal statement and predicted grades can help me pull off a miracle if not i'm deffo applying to other schools too !
thank you for all the advice !!! i really needed guidance after the shock of the result :/ i'm hoping my personal statement and predicted grades can help me pull off a miracle if not i'm deffo applying to other schools too !

Honestly Oxbridge isn’t the only option. There are so many great unis. Just be prepared that if you get into Cambridge there will be a lot of pressure and you’ll be expected to work long hours. Other Russell group unis are just good or even better. Check out the complete university guide for course rankings. Wherever you go you’ll do great!!
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
Honestly Oxbridge isn’t the only option. There are so many great unis. Just be prepared that if you get into Cambridge there will be a lot of pressure and you’ll be expected to work long hours. Other Russell group unis are just good or even better. Check out the complete university guide for course rankings. Wherever you go you’ll do great!!

Yea i'm looking at LSE and Kings in the UK, but they'll all be tough because of the move all the way from Pakistan to the UK. lifestyles here are sadly very "bubbled" and suffocatingly comfortable to the point i feel it's been detrimental even, loll sorry if i sounds like an entitled brat 😬
Yea i'm looking at LSE and Kings in the UK, but they'll all be tough because of the move all the way from Pakistan to the UK. lifestyles here are sadly very "bubbled" and suffocatingly comfortable to the point i feel it's been detrimental even, loll sorry if i sounds like an entitled brat 😬

Ahhhh, don’t worry about it. Just remember that this is your life and you need to go to uni where you feel is best
Original post by Doones

Do you have the statistics of the average number of A*s international applicants have at GCSE/IGCSE level for Cambridge medicine? I think I've seen it posted on TSR by you, but I can't seem to find it. Thanks so much and have a great day!
Reply 49
Original post by Kroznox
Do you have the statistics of the average number of A*s international applicants have at GCSE/IGCSE level for Cambridge medicine? I think I've seen it posted on TSR by you, but I can't seem to find it. Thanks so much and have a great day!

I'm not aware of any stats like that just for internationals direct from Cambridge but there might be something on WhatDoTheyKnow.com

e.g. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_for_international#incoming-1266342

However, GCSEs are no more important than other aspects of a Cambridge application.

Quick Reply

Latest