The Student Room Group

Going into sixth form/college...

All through yr 11 I just couldn’t be asked to do skl work... even in yr 10... like I would never be resilient coz I just hated the difficult tasks and I was always like I’ll do this at home (I do sometimes....)

Now going to do a levels, ik it’s gonna be WAY harder and much more content and I don’t wanna carry on this behaviour! Do u think that I’ll be motivated once I see and realise the content of my subjects?....

Was anyone else like this? Help plz
Original post by Sannah 21
All through yr 11 I just couldn’t be asked to do skl work... even in yr 10... like I would never be resilient coz I just hated the difficult tasks and I was always like I’ll do this at home (I do sometimes....)

Now going to do a levels, ik it’s gonna be WAY harder and much more content and I don’t wanna carry on this behaviour! Do u think that I’ll be motivated once I see and realise the content of my subjects?....

Was anyone else like this? Help plz

I doubt you'll change much, hell I bet you'll become part of the group of students that the teacher gives up on and doesn't bother with (I've seen it happen bare, I've been among that group as well).

Imo if your a lazy tw*t like me, then I say college is better suited for you; a levels are hard if you don't understand nor revise much/revise last minute for your subjects.

Btw I had no intention of mocking you or being pessimistic. Reality of the matter is that I've seen people that are finding a-levels hard in Year 12, drop out and transfer to a College - I can say that atleast 5 of my friends did that, whereas I stayed persistant and positive in my academic abilities while continually getting mediocre grades till the very end of Year 13, my results will not be the best, but atleast I can say that I tried.
Reply 2
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
I doubt you'll change much, hell I bet you'll become part of the group of students that the teacher gives up on and doesn't bother with (I've seen it happen bare, I've been among that group as well).

Imo if your a lazy tw*t like me, then I say college is better suited for you; a levels are hard if you don't understand nor revise much/revise last minute for your subjects.

Btw I had no intention of mocking you or being pessimistic. Reality of the matter is that I've seen people that are finding a-levels hard in Year 12, drop out and transfer to a College - I can say that atleast 5 of my friends did that, whereas I stayed persistant and positive in my academic abilities while continually getting mediocre grades till the very end of Year 13, my results will not be the best, but atleast I can say that I tried.

Yh trying is better than nothing and it’s really good ur not following ur friends and just thinking of ur own path
But I forgot to mention I’m like a student the teacher loves.. like I’m such a sweet girl and student
But I’ve been so lazy recently....
So maybe they’ll understand 😌
But like half or yr 10 and under I was so motivated! Or was that just everyone and now everyone is like 😑😵😷😑😑😑

But the thing is... I wanna do really well
Like my sis finished college and omg she worked her ass off! But didn’t get into the uni she wanted unfortunately...
But I don’t wanna work my arse off...I just wanna revise how I normally do and in my own time...there will still be a positive outcome right?
Like my revision isn’t like everyone else’s but I still like it I guess

Teachers just gave up on me wen I just couldn’t be asked everyday at skl....

Dk if u understand me but Yh
Yh trying is better than nothing and it’s really good ur not following ur friends and just thinking of ur own path
But I forgot to mention I’m like a student the teacher loves.. like I’m such a sweet girl and student
But I’ve been so lazy recently....
So maybe they’ll understand 😌
But like half or yr 10 and under I was so motivated! Or was that just everyone and now everyone is like 😑😵😷😑😑😑

But the thing is... I wanna do really well
Like my sis finished college and omg she worked her ass off! But didn’t get into the uni she wanted unfortunately...
But I don’t wanna work my arse off...I just wanna revise how I normally do and in my own time...there will still be a positive outcome right?
Like my revision isn’t like everyone else’s but I still like it I guess

Teachers just gave up on me wen I just couldn’t be asked everyday at skl....

Dk if u understand me but Yh

I sort of understand, basically: you don't want to go College and work hard and still not end up going to the University you want. Instead you chose to do sixth form so that even if you don't work as hard as your sister did, you'll still get into the university you want.

I think you made the right choice but you have the wrong mentality going into sixth form. Revision is a must through out the 2 years of studying, seriously if you don't understand the content as well as how to phrase your answers (cuz there's a specific way) then your gona flop your exams.

Personally I knew the subject content quite well but I didn't know how to phrase my answers nor did I revise as much as I should've, and that was the reason for my failure during my exams.

Don't let mediocre grades in GCSE & A-level dishearten you about going into University because you can always do a foundation year, pass that and enter into doing the proper 3 years to get that Undergraduate degree. However be aware that uni content is some next level monster to tackle when compared to A-levels.
Can’t you go to college or apprenticeship ?? I think it would be much easier for you
If you don’t like studying, maybe A-Levels aren’t for you..why not look into apprenticeships or vocational courses?
Reply 6
Original post by XHannahR
If you don’t like studying, maybe A-Levels aren’t for you..why not look into apprenticeships or vocational courses?

No i like studying
It’s just that I’ve become lazy
But omg I’m hoping I go back to my old self
Also my parents want me to do a levels not vocational or btec
Reply 7
I sort of understand, basically: you don't want to go College and work hard and still not end up going to the University you want. Instead you chose to do sixth form so that even if you don't work as hard as your sister did, you'll still get into the university you want.

I think you made the right choice but you have the wrong mentality going into sixth form. Revision is a must through out the 2 years of studying, seriously if you don't understand the content as well as how to phrase your answers (cuz there's a specific way) then your gona flop your exams.

Personally I knew the subject content quite well but I didn't know how to phrase my answers nor did I revise as much as I should've, and that was the reason for my failure during my exams.

Don't let mediocre grades in GCSE & A-level dishearten you about going into University because you can always do a foundation year, pass that and enter into doing the proper 3 years to get that Undergraduate degree. However be aware that uni content is some next level monster to tackle when compared to A-levels.

😂
So to sum up... r u saying Sixth Form or college is better for me?

I won’t do apprenticeship or something....
Reply 8
Is it too late to look for apprenticeships? I don’t think I’m ready....
Coz I’ve had a levels on my mind

Also idk where
😂

Ah, sorry for the late reply. I went sleep then woke up and did some online window shopping (seems TNF have a sale going on).

Basically it's your choice what path you wish to take, I was merely advising and saying be cautious because A-levels are like a wolf in sheep clothing.

If you really want to know a clear path to take then I say tell me what industry sector you want to work in. From there I can advise whether you definitely need a University degree or can just take a Apprenticeship to work in the field.

Ngl most of the time degrees aren't really necessary as it basically shows that you're an academic (very knowledgable) in the field area, but seperate Qualifications/Certifications (e.g. In IT you can get certified by Cisco or get a CompTIA certification) can also show that you are knowledgable - they also cost vastly less than degrees.
Reply 10
😂

If you're a lazy person, it doesn't matter what you do, college, sixth-form, apprenticeship. Laziness is a quality that will cause to fail in anything you get yourself into. Take some responsibility for your life and use the brain you've been given to become successful. Plenty of people out there that would give everything to have the opportunities you have, so don't squander them. Do you what you feel is best, but don't pick an option because it's easy, as that only reinforces your lazy mentality. And it appears that you don't really understand the importance of education in your life at a deeper level, so this could explain your lack of drive to do well. I'd suggest you contemplate on the reasons why you should work hard, instead of just hoping that by some miracle, your approach to studies will just change as soon you start your further studies.
Reply 11
Original post by HGS345
If you're a lazy person, it doesn't matter what you do, college, sixth-form, apprenticeship. Laziness is a quality that will cause to fail in anything you get yourself into. Take some responsibility for your life and use the brain you've been given to become successful. Plenty of people out there that would give everything to have the opportunities you have, so don't squander them. Do you what you feel is best, but don't pick an option because it's easy, as that only reinforces your lazy mentality. And it appears that you don't really understand the importance of education in your life at a deeper level, so this could explain your lack of drive to do well. I'd suggest you contemplate on the reasons why you should work hard, instead of just hoping that by some miracle, your approach to studies will just change as soon you start your further studies.

Thank u do much
K kl so now I k to carry on with a levels thx
Reply 12
Ah, sorry for the late reply. I went sleep then woke up and did some online window shopping (seems TNF have a sale going on).

Basically it's your choice what path you wish to take, I was merely advising and saying be cautious because A-levels are like a wolf in sheep clothing.

If you really want to know a clear path to take then I say tell me what industry sector you want to work in. From there I can advise whether you definitely need a University degree or can just take a Apprenticeship to work in the field.

Ngl most of the time degrees aren't really necessary as it basically shows that you're an academic (very knowledgable) in the field area, but seperate Qualifications/Certifications (e.g. In IT you can get certified by Cisco or get a CompTIA certification) can also show that you are knowledgable - they also cost vastly less than degrees.

I wanna go in the business sector
Maybe IT and businesss or accounting and finance and business
Yh

One question: wen u go a levels then uni... ur gaining knowledge and doing theory work, but jobs would want experience as well right?
So wen can I do that?
I think if I do it during yr 12 then it’ll be too much and I have Saturday skl as well
I wanna go in the business sector
Maybe IT and businesss or accounting and finance and business
Yh

One question: wen u go a levels then uni... ur gaining knowledge and doing theory work, but jobs would want experience as well right?
So wen can I do that?
I think if I do it during yr 12 then it’ll be too much and I have Saturday skl as well

If you want to go into IT then you don't need to go University, a Apprenticeship will suffice as long as you get qualifications. Same can be said about Business Management, however Accounting/Finance is where having a University degree will help out slightly more.

Experience wise what I can say is that my sixth form typically arranged a work experience week near the end of Year 12 for the whole year to go and get Internships at companies in sectors the students wish to enter, your sixth form might have a similar policy. However even if they don't you can do Internships in the half terms, this way you might get more experience than your peers (depending on how many internships you want to do) and be able to use that extra experience as a strong point in your Personal Statement when applying for Universities on UCAS.

On a seperate note I'd like to recommend you get a job as getting a job early on makes it easier to find one in the future (such as during your uni years) as employers can see that you got relevant work experience.

I also recommend you start learning how to drive once you turn 17yo during Year 12 as practically everyone I know in Year 13 - as well as people I know in college - are qualified drivers. Being able to drive is a very useful life skill, the quicker you get your licence the better imo.
Reply 14
If you want to go into IT then you don't need to go University, a Apprenticeship will suffice as long as you get qualifications. Same can be said about Business Management, however Accounting/Finance is where having a University degree will help out slightly more.

Experience wise what I can say is that my sixth form typically arranged a work experience week near the end of Year 12 for the whole year to go and get Internships at companies in sectors the students wish to enter, your sixth form might have a similar policy. However even if they don't you can do Internships in the half terms, this way you might get more experience than your peers (depending on how many internships you want to do) and be able to use that extra experience as a strong point in your Personal Statement when applying for Universities on UCAS.

On a seperate note I'd like to recommend you get a job as getting a job early on makes it easier to find one in the future (such as during your uni years) as employers can see that you got relevant work experience.

I also recommend you start learning how to drive once you turn 17yo during Year 12 as practically everyone I know in Year 13 - as well as people I know in college - are qualified drivers. Being able to drive is a very useful life skill, the quicker you get your licence the better imo.

Hey so thanks for helping me out
Firstly idk bout driving.... I was planning to get my license later
Idk

Also internships sound great
Kl thanks

Also I did business GCSE now I’m gonna do Business A level and want a businessy career
But accounting and Finance will I still be able to do hat in uni or as a job... maybe if I do experience in it or something or research bout it
But my a levels don’t really have to do with this right?
Hey so thanks for helping me out
Firstly idk bout driving.... I was planning to get my license later
Idk

Also internships sound great
Kl thanks

Also I did business GCSE now I’m gonna do Business A level and want a businessy career
But accounting and Finance will I still be able to do hat in uni or as a job... maybe if I do experience in it or something or research bout it
But my a levels don’t really have to do with this right?

You are gona need Maths as a A-level subject if you go for Business Accounting/Finance but I know people who have done BTEC Accounting/Finance and gotten offered a place for the University subject, so I know that works as well.

As long as you got relevant experience then I think you can get a job in the Business Accounting/Finance via a Apprenticeship, it's definitely possible but you will be payed less than a fresh uni graduate. Just be aware of that.

Ngl if you get your licence now it'll make it cheaper to get insurance in the future, you don't have to buy a car and drive immediately after passsing, just let your full licence status age for a couple months/years and you'll see good discounts on Insurance once you actually want to get it (fr I've had mine for about 8 months now and my Insurance quotes changed from 3.5k to 2.5k.).
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
You are gona need Maths as a A-level subject if you go for Business Accounting/Finance but I know people who have done BTEC Accounting/Finance and gotten offered a place for the University subject, so I know that works as well.

As long as you got relevant experience then I think you can get a job in the Business Accounting/Finance via a Apprenticeship, it's definitely possible but you will be payed less than a fresh uni graduate. Just be aware of that.

Ngl if you get your licence now it'll make it cheaper to get insurance in the future, you don't have to buy a car and drive immediately after passsing, just let your full licence status age for a couple months/years and you'll see good discounts on Insurance once you actually want to get it (fr I've had mine for about 8 months now and my Insurance quotes changed from 3.5k to 2.5k.).

Thanks for ur help!
That’s a lot of info
No i like studying
It’s just that I’ve become lazy
But omg I’m hoping I go back to my old self
Also my parents want me to do a levels not vocational or btec

Just because your parents don't want you to do vocational, doesn't mean you shouldn't look into it. It might be the right choice for you :smile:

There are plenty of apprenticeship opportunities in the IT sector and also in Accountancy or Business Administration, if you're wiling to do the leg work and actively apply and ask around for the opportunities.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Quick Reply

Latest