The Student Room Group

for those who used P plates how long did you keep them on?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucyfloss
I never used them after I passed and from what friends have said, people actually treated them worse with p plates than without. I wouldn’t bother, most people on the road are terrible at driving and you won’t stand out trust me

I never used them after i passed either.
In my opinion, they are just an excuse for some drivers to abuse you.
You should keep it till you feel confident driving. I mean everyone feels a little nervous at first. So it's better if you use a P plate so that other drivers give you your space which in turn decreases the chance of causing an accident
Reply 22
Original post by Soteria3
You should keep it till you feel confident driving. I mean everyone feels a little nervous at first. So it's better if you use a P plate so that other drivers give you your space which in turn decreases the chance of causing an accident

That's not how it works in reality.
Original post by IWMTom
That's not how it works in reality.

Ye I know bro but the main point behind the P plates is yours as well as other drivers safety
Reply 24
Ye I know bro but the main point behind the P plates is yours as well as other drivers safety

Again, not how it works in the real world.
Original post by IWMTom
Again, not how it works in the real world.

You can leave them on your vehicle for as long as you like, until you feel confident enough to remove them.{According to the law}
You can leave them on your vehicle for as long as you like, until you feel confident enough to remove them.{According to the law}

The law also says you can keep training wheels on your bike for as long as you want, but people will still treat you like you can't go a bike. Past a point it's abusing it, as it's really a 'SPECIAL TREATMENT PLZ' sticker.
Reply 27
Original post by StriderHort
The law also says you can keep training wheels on your bike for as long as you want, but people will still treat you like you can't go a bike. Past a point it's abusing it, as it's really a 'SPECIAL TREATMENT PLZ' sticker.

If it makes others more cautious around you then you have a better chance of getting from A to B without issues.

Sure there'll be a hole out there making your life difficult but w/e.
Reply 28
Original post by yaboy75
If it makes others more cautious around you then you have a better chance of getting from A to B without issues.

Sure there'll be a hole out there making your life difficult but w/e.

But in the real world it doesn't have that affect.
Reply 29
Original post by IWMTom
But in the real world it doesn't have that affect.

What effect does it have then.
Reply 30
Original post by yaboy75
What effect does it have then.

Scroll up and read the thread.
Reply 31
Original post by IWMTom
Scroll up and read the thread.

Seems like a minor issue, at worst it gets people like you away from people that use P plates ASAP.
Reply 32
Original post by yaboy75
Seems like a minor issue, at worst it gets people like you away from people that use P plates ASAP.

"People like you"... okay then..

If you're so lacking in confidence as to require a special snowflake sticker on your car, you shouldn't be driving.
Reply 33
Original post by IWMTom
"People like you"... okay then..

If you're so lacking in confidence as to require a special snowflake sticker on your car, you shouldn't be driving.

Yh and that wasn't meant as an offence but lmao what kind of response is that.

If you have some weird issue with people that have P plates, go past em as you do. No one's changing.
Reply 34
I kept mine on for a couple of months. I used them because it gave me more confidence, since I'm an anxious person
Reply 35
Original post by yaboy75
Yh and that wasn't meant as an offence but lmao what kind of response is that.

If you have some weird issue with people that have P plates, go past em as you do. No one's changing.

P plates just indicate that someone passed their test but probably shouldn't have.
Reply 36
Original post by IWMTom
P plates just indicate that someone passed their test but probably shouldn't have.

Okay.
I took them off now as time has passed, I slowly worked my way to being confident with them off. Do I feel like it's made a difference? Yes tbh, people ride my arse even more now.
I personally didn't use a P plate when I passed. I've heard from friends that they kept it on for about 3 months. Personally, I don't see the point. If you passed your driving test, you should be up to the minimum standard that is expected of any driver, therefore, putting on P plates shouldn't make a difference. In fact, from a third party's point of view, it seemed to me that people tend to be less patient with P plates and tend to overtake straight away. Instead, I would suggest taking extra driving qualifications to get your confidence up such as Pass Plus or more lessons. Training doesn't need to stop just because you've met the criteria on the day.
Reply 39
Original post by J0n3zviper
I don't know I feel like it has made people keep their distance.. logic says if you see someone with a P plate surely this let's you know they may make a mistake so give a little more room? If I'm behind a learner I keep my distance and wait if needed.

I tend keep away from P platers and learners, and overtake them asap. They're fairly unpredictable as far as drivers go

However if I see a p plater mess up, I usually feel sympathetic, as opposed to annoyed. -- People tolerate them more
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest