The Student Room Group

Work rejected my request to reduce my hours - unsure what to do now.

Hi all,

I currently work in the Civil Service, decent grade, decent pay however I do not really enjoy the job and it's a 40+ mile commute each way (by car). As such, I've recently applied for and gained a place at a local University course doing Engineering full time.

I asked to reduce my hours at work from full time (37) to 20 in order to give me a part time job on the side to supplement my maintenance loan. I'm doing a Foundation Year so I don't think it's too involved and my job is fully flexi as long as it's between 07:00 and 19:00.

My request was rejected for some wishy washy reasons that essentially were they didn't think I would keep my hours due to the course I was going to study, the course didn't benefit them, they knew I would leave at the end of the degree and that it would mess with their budgets.

I'm now at a loss as to what to do. I can appeal the decision if I want, however I need to work a 4 week notice period and the course is due to start on 16th September. Or, my other option is to quit and find a part time job elsewhere, but this would equate to less money per hour than remaining here - roughly 2/300 a month less. Alternatively I could just sack of the course and remain here, but I don't really want to do that as I see no opportunity to progress here whatsoever.

Any thoughts?
Original post by EngineeringOr
Hi all,

I currently work in the Civil Service, decent grade, decent pay however I do not really enjoy the job and it's a 40+ mile commute each way (by car). As such, I've recently applied for and gained a place at a local University course doing Engineering full time.

I asked to reduce my hours at work from full time (37) to 20 in order to give me a part time job on the side to supplement my maintenance loan. I'm doing a Foundation Year so I don't think it's too involved and my job is fully flexi as long as it's between 07:00 and 19:00.

My request was rejected for some wishy washy reasons that essentially were they didn't think I would keep my hours due to the course I was going to study, the course didn't benefit them, they knew I would leave at the end of the degree and that it would mess with their budgets.

I'm now at a loss as to what to do. I can appeal the decision if I want, however I need to work a 4 week notice period and the course is due to start on 16th September. Or, my other option is to quit and find a part time job elsewhere, but this would equate to less money per hour than remaining here - roughly 2/300 a month less. Alternatively I could just sack of the course and remain here, but I don't really want to do that as I see no opportunity to progress here whatsoever.

Any thoughts?

Do you have any holiday left to take? Hand your notice in and look for a more student friendly job
Don't sacrifice your education for a job you don't enjoy. They can find their cover, you don't have to worry about inconveniencing them at all. Hand in your notice asap and work up until you start your course on the 16th. If the notice period takes you past your course date, just don't work those days. Because you're in university now, you're a student first. Don't let them mug you off. While you're working your notice period, look for other part time jobs that suit your needs. Or just work a student friendly job like above suggested, it may be little pay compared to what you have now but at least it's something that you can easily work around your studies.
Original post by claireestelle
Do you have any holiday left to take? Hand your notice in and look for a more student friendly job

I think I have 2 / 3 days of holiday left.

Original post by mediclyfe
Don't sacrifice your education for a job you don't enjoy. They can find their cover, you don't have to worry about inconveniencing them at all. Hand in your notice asap and work up until you start your course on the 16th. If the notice period takes you past your course date, just don't work those days. Because you're in university now, you're a student first. Don't let them mug you off. While you're working your notice period, look for other part time jobs that suit your needs. Or just work a student friendly job like above suggested, it may be little pay compared to what you have now but at least it's something that you can easily work around your studies.

I'm not concerned about their ability to replace me, I was more concerned that for the hours I would be working the hourly rate would have worked out much better here compared to a job elsewhere, however in appealing it delays the process more for no guarantee I would be successful. I've seen there's a lot of part time jobs nearby that I would be happy to apply for, however I'm unsure what days I can work yet until I get my timetable. I'm 26 so I've got a good 8 years of work experience full time behind me. I'm definitely thinking education first, I didn't go to uni following college so this is my first attempt at a degree to then ideally progress to an engineering career.
Reply 4
Any way you could study with the open university part time for 2 years instead of the access course? That way you keep an income (plus pension scheme) for an additional couple of years.
Original post by ajj2000
Any way you could study with the open university part time for 2 years instead of the access course? That way you keep an income (plus pension scheme) for an additional couple of years.

I had thought about the OU but I feel like a subject such as Engineering I would rather have face to face learning involved due to how complex it is rather than distance learning for the full modules. I looked into doing A Levels as evening classes too but it seems like there really isn't any options for that around where I live, they mainly only offer Functional Skills classes and things such as that.

You are trying to have your cake and eat it. You've started a full time degree, if you can't go part-time, and there's no reason why the Civil Service should let you , you need to resign and get a job that does fit your degree programme. If it pays less, well that's what often happens with part-time work.
Reply 7
I had thought about the OU but I feel like a subject such as Engineering I would rather have face to face learning involved due to how complex it is rather than distance learning for the full modules. I looked into doing A Levels as evening classes too but it seems like there really isn't any options for that around where I live, they mainly only offer Functional Skills classes and things such as that.

I 'disagree with you regarding the Engineering degree. I question the foundation year however. If it really is robust enough to equip you well to start an engineering degree after years of not studying relevant materials (or never having studied them) I doubt many people could cope with a 20 hour a week job plus commute on top.

On the other hand if you spent two years studying OU courses pretty hard you could be equipped to approx A level maths/ physics standard, continue in a full time job, and know you are well prepared to start the first year of the degree. Not that its the same as engineering but the are OU routes to transfer to the second year of physics degrees with 2 years of part time study. That should give good coverage for the first year of an engineering course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending