The Student Room Group

UCAT SJ Band 3 Question

Hi,
I just did my UCAT today and my whilst my average was alright, my SJ did not go well and I ended up with a Band 3. My score breakdown is:

Verbal Reasoning: 720
Decision Making: 770
Quantitative Reasoning: 730
Abstract Reasoning: 770
Average: 747.5

Situational Judgement: Band 3

At GCSEs I got 9 A*s and an A. Do you think I can still get into universities such as King's and St Georges with my bad Situational Judgement score or is it out of the question? Even if there is a chance, would it be careless of me to waste a choice on King's if the chance is very slim.

Thanks for all your help in advance and I wish everyone the best of luck with their UCAT exams.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Keeth6
Hi,
I just did my UCAT today and my whilst my average was alright, my SJ did not go well and I ended up with a Band 3. My score breakdown is:

Verbal Reasoning: 720
Decision Making: 770
Quantitative Reasoning: 730
Abstract Reasoning: 770
Average: 747.5

Situational Judgement: Band 3

At GCSEs I got 9 A*s and an A. Do you think I can still get into universities such as King's and St Georges with my bad Situational Judgement score or is it out of the question? Even if there is a chance, would it be careless of me to waste a choice on King's if the chance is very slim.

Thanks for all your help in advance and I wish everyone the best of luck with their UCAT exams.

With regards to SJT:
Liverpool exclude Band 4 (unless you are International). As do ARU, Leicester, Keele, Manchester, Nottingham and HYMS

Nottingham and HYMS use it as part of their selection process.
Aberdeen say they may use SJT to distinguish between similar candidates when making an offer, so do QUB.
Birmingham use it as a virtual MMI station
UEA say "The SJT component score is included within the interview score"
Edinburgh use it fairly heavily (15% of score)
Kings say they will "look closely" at Band 3 but do not say what this means, they state "The Situational Judgement Test (SJT) is also taken into account when shortlisting"
St Andrews state "The SJT will be used as an element in the interview process, with the score being incorporated into the interview score."
Sheffield use it as a virtual MMI station.
Dundee state "We do not use the Situational Judgement Test (SJT) to select for interview; however, Band 4 may affect the decision on whether or not to make an offer."
Barts say: “Once candidates have reached the interview stage, the scores achieved at interview were primarily used to influence potential offers being made. This year, interview scores were combined with candidates SJT (Situational Judgement component of the UKCAT) scores and ranked based on the combined score. The other 4 components of the UKCAT, and candidates Tariff scores were no longer used for consideration at this stage.
Interviews are scored independently by 2 trained panel members out of a total of 50 points. Successful School Leaver candidates were offered places when their combined interview and SJT score was in excess of 39 points. Graduate candidates were offered places when their combined interview and SJT score was in excess of 39 points.
Of the candidates who were offered places based on their combined scores, the lowest successful interview score (excluding the SJT) for School Leaver candidates was 37, and 38 for Graduate candidates.”
Glasgow, Bristol, Southampton, Plymouth and St. Georges don't consider SJT, nor does Newcastle, and I think Cardiff and Exeter.

Kings have previously said B1 scores double points to B2 and I would assume B3 scores nothing. With your other stats, I do not think Kings would be an issue as you will be very high up on scoring for their cohort of applicants.
Reply 2
Original post by GANFYD
With regards to SJT:
Liverpool exclude Band 4 (unless you are International). As do ARU, Leicester, Keele, Manchester, Nottingham and HYMS

Nottingham and HYMS use it as part of their selection process.
Aberdeen say they may use SJT to distinguish between similar candidates when making an offer, so do QUB.
Birmingham use it as a virtual MMI station
UEA say "The SJT component score is included within the interview score"
Edinburgh use it fairly heavily (15% of score)
Kings say they will "look closely" at Band 3 but do not say what this means, they state "The Situational Judgement Test (SJT) is also taken into account when shortlisting"
St Andrews state "The SJT will be used as an element in the interview process, with the score being incorporated into the interview score."
Sheffield use it as a virtual MMI station.
Dundee state "We do not use the Situational Judgement Test (SJT) to select for interview; however, Band 4 may affect the decision on whether or not to make an offer."
Barts say: “Once candidates have reached the interview stage, the scores achieved at interview were primarily used to influence potential offers being made. This year, interview scores were combined with candidates SJT (Situational Judgement component of the UKCAT) scores and ranked based on the combined score. The other 4 components of the UKCAT, and candidates Tariff scores were no longer used for consideration at this stage.
Interviews are scored independently by 2 trained panel members out of a total of 50 points. Successful School Leaver candidates were offered places when their combined interview and SJT score was in excess of 39 points. Graduate candidates were offered places when their combined interview and SJT score was in excess of 39 points.
Of the candidates who were offered places based on their combined scores, the lowest successful interview score (excluding the SJT) for School Leaver candidates was 37, and 38 for Graduate candidates.”
Glasgow, Bristol, Southampton, Plymouth and St. Georges don't consider SJT, nor does Newcastle, and I think Cardiff and Exeter.

Kings have previously said B1 scores double points to B2 and I would assume B3 scores nothing. With your other stats, I do not think Kings would be an issue as you will be very high up on scoring for their cohort of applicants.

Thank you so much for your reply. The information that you have provided is so useful and I will definately look into more universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending