The Student Room Group

University accommodation help

how much student finance will you get to pay for travel, food, laundry? i need to spend at least £50 on food every week
Original post by Anonymous
how much student finance will you get to pay for travel, food, laundry? i need to spend at least £50 on food every week

on average £509 a month
Reply 2
Original post by captainamerica77
on average £509 a month

that’s not including the accommodation cost is it?
Reply 3
bump
depends on your parents income. My boyfriend didn't even get enough to cover his rent because both his parents are on high income jobs, whereas I on the other hand, get the maximum amount of Student finance because I'm an independent student (dad's dead and no contact with mum), so my student finance completely covered my rent and leaves me with about £30 a week for food, which if you're smart is more than enough. I do a £40 shop every other week and it's more than enough for me.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by eilish1903
depends on your parents income. My boyfriend didn't even get enough to cover his rent because both his parents are on high income jobs, whereas I on the other hand, get the maximum amount of Student finance because I'm an independent student (dad's dead and no contact with mum), so my student finance completely covered my rent and leaves me with about £30 a week for food, which if you're smart is more than enough. I do a £40 shop every other week and it's more than enough for me.

What about laundry, travel? all together how much do you get?
Original post by Anonymous
What about laundry, travel? all together how much do you get?

student finance is awarded based on your parents income, so each person's loan is different. I'm studying outside of London, where the maximum student finance funding is £9730 for the year. My rent is £6636,23 for the year. This leaves me with a little over 3000 from student finance to cover food, travel, laundry and any other expenses like stationary and books. It isn't easy but you have to either make do or get a part time job.

Quick Reply

Latest