The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kiritsugu
So when you say you're nonbinary, can you please explain what you mean by that - in other words, how would you describe yourself?

Have you ever experienced a time when you knew you weren't nonbinary (assuming that's possible) - how was that?

What're your favourite activities?

I am someone who is not male or female! Nonbinary is a gender that doesn't conform to the binary.

And yeah, I was AFAB (assigned female at birth) but I was always attracted to both stereo typically masculine and feminine things. Growing up, I started to hate the femininity of by name, and I hated being perceived as a girl, but i didn't know why. As soon as I cut my hair, a few teachers mistook me as a guy and I felt a rush of euphoria. But I was confused, because I knew I wasn't a guy, either. Eventually, I stumbled upon the term Non-binary, and much like with sexual orientation it just clicked. I knew it was me, I felt comfortable!

I love to do a lot of things. I'm in art college, I make music, I play video games and basket ball. I love spending time with my dog more than anything though!
Original post by Oljen
I identify as an AC 130

good for you ! :biggrin:
Original post by Obolinda
Salt or sweet popcorn?

Sweet and sour (salty).

If I had to choose, sweet!
Original post by WanderStruck
If I had to choose, sweet!

Oh no
Original post by Obolinda
Oh no

Muahaha
Original post by chlo_bel
Above, I see a lot of buzzwords with very little meaning

Please, elaborate :>
Why do you feel the need to identify as non binary when females don't have to be feminine and males dont have to be masculine. Isn't being non binary reinforcing those stereotypes rather than challenging them?
Genuine question, am not trying to be disrespectful
Original post by CoolCavy
Why do you feel the need to identify as non binary when females don't have to be feminine and males dont have to be masculine. Isn't being non binary reinforcing those stereotypes rather than challenging them?
Genuine question, am not trying to be disrespectful

Ah, I get this a lot, i understand your confusion, don't worry!
Some people - misinformed, in my opinion - use the term non-binary to promote non-conforming presentation (where females don't have to like 'female' things, and the same for males). Nonbinary is under transgender, it's an actual gender and in most cases, we feel dysphoria! For example, my chest gives me dysphoria as it is a normally* female attribute. This makes me pretty depressed, to the point of su/cidal, because I feel like I don't belong in my body. I can look in the mirror and see someone completely different, if that makes sense?
1- Non-binary is a separate gender from male and female! Someone who is non-binary is neither male nor female.
2- And identifying as a gender means that you are a gender, I suppose. It's a way to express who you are, and it makes it easier for transpeople to get surgeries or hormones in a way!
3- Yes, to an extent? If they're in a dangerous mental position because they haven't been treated as they are/identify as, then I believe so. As long as people aren't breaching human rights, I think it's a difficult case to be sure.
4 - I'm centrist, but I lean more towards the conservative (which is perceived to be right wing) party currently. I do, however, take stands on some left wing issues, such as abortion, but I think LGBT is a humans rights issue and not/shouldn't be a political one.

Thanks for answering :smile: I've tried asking similar questions before but no one ever seems willing to answer.

1. Yeah, I know the definition. I guess I wanted to know specifically what it means to you.

2. How do you know that you are a specific gender? I understand that some people have a condition called gender dysphoria but how does that make you something else (I've seen the brain scan studies, but they were done after the participants had already taken cross-sex hormones)? Also, seeing as the suicide rate doesn't really change post-transition, do you believe that hormones and surgery are always the best thing to offer to a person with dysphoria?

3. I disagree with you, but respect your opinion. I definitely do not believe that all trans people are predators or anything, however self-identification has been misused on numerous occasions. I think people should have to go through a lengthy process to be legally recognised as a member of the opposite sex. Agree to disagree though.

4. Fair enough. I was asking because the majority of "non binary" people I've seen are left-wing. I agree to some extent that LGBT rights aren't/shouldn't be a political issue, however it is mostly left-wing groups pushing to have these issues taught in schools. What is your opinion on adding LGBT lessons to the curriculum?

5. (Extra question, if you don't mind). Do you think people should be forced to use someone's "preferred pronouns"? Although I probably would use someone's pronouns to be polite, I don't think anyone should be compelled to do so - and I certainly don't believe that not using certain pronouns is an "act of violence" or requires legal repercussions.

Also, just in case I come across as such, I'm not trying to be inflammatory or anything. I'm just genuinely curious as to what your opinions are. I support LGBT rights - marriage, adoption, being able to do everything that other people can etc. But I do take issue with some of the "agenda" (probably not the correct term, but you get the gist).
Original post by chlo_bel
I would rather not, as I know how sensitive (or - to use a buzzword of my own - 'triggered'??!!) that people of our generation get when challenged with the truth

As I said, as long as you're respectful, as I will be! Your opinion is your opinion, and I respect that you have one different from my own, it's what makes us human. But of course, you don't have to share what you mean lol.
-I live with a retired military captain, nothing you say will phase me xD-
Ah, I get this a lot, i understand your confusion, don't worry!
Some people - misinformed, in my opinion - use the term non-binary to promote non-conforming presentation (where females don't have to like 'female' things, and the same for males). Nonbinary is under transgender, it's an actual gender and in most cases, we feel dysphoria! For example, my chest gives me dysphoria as it is a normally* female attribute. This makes me pretty depressed, to the point of su/cidal, because I feel like I don't belong in my body. I can look in the mirror and see someone completely different, if that makes sense?

Thanks for explaining :smile: so it's more a disconnect with secondary sex characteristics itself rather than gender expression? Have just always wondered as am quite a masculine girl but have never thought of myself as anything but a tomboy.
Is interesting to learn about different people's lives :smile:
I am someone who is not male or female! Nonbinary is a gender that doesn't conform to the binary.

And yeah, I was AFAB (assigned female at birth) but I was always attracted to both stereo typically masculine and feminine things. Growing up, I started to hate the femininity of by name, and I hated being perceived as a girl, but i didn't know why. As soon as I cut my hair, a few teachers mistook me as a guy and I felt a rush of euphoria. But I was confused, because I knew I wasn't a guy, either. Eventually, I stumbled upon the term Non-binary, and much like with sexual orientation it just clicked. I knew it was me, I felt comfortable!

I love to do a lot of things. I'm in art college, I make music, I play video games and basket ball. I love spending time with my dog more than anything though!

Would you say you're transgender?

Have you been able to identify why you hated being perceived as a girl?

Some people think that being transgender is a mental illness. Considering that most people live tough lives and have a wide array of problems, do you think you have specific issues (mental or physical) that binary people don't usually exhibit?

What kind of music do you like? (I like Attack on Titan music.)
Oops I'm hopping on the bandwagon-

Disclaimer: idc if you believe in the gender binary or not, but this is who I am, and if you're going to debate or voice your opinion then I'd appreciate you being respectful about it as I will be to you! :>

//If anybody insults transpeople then I'm gonna ignore you and report you, oops.//

How old are you, and when did you realise you were non-binary (or around when)?
Original post by sk3ptic
Thanks for answering :smile: I've tried asking similar questions before but no one ever seems willing to answer.

1. Yeah, I know the definition. I guess I wanted to know specifically what it means to you.

2. How do you know that you are a specific gender? I understand that some people have a condition called gender dysphoria but how does that make you something else (I've seen the brain scan studies, but they were done after the participants had already taken cross-sex hormones)? Also, seeing as the suicide rate doesn't really change post-transition, do you believe that hormones and surgery are always the best thing to offer to a person with dysphoria?

3. I disagree with you, but respect your opinion. I definitely do not believe that all trans people are predators or anything, however self-identification has been misused on numerous occasions. I think people should have to go through a lengthy process to be legally recognised as a member of the opposite sex. Agree to disagree though.

4. Fair enough. I was asking because the majority of "non binary" people I've seen are left-wing. I agree to some extent that LGBT rights aren't/shouldn't be a political issue, however it is mostly left-wing groups pushing to have these issues taught in schools. What is your opinion on adding LGBT lessons to the curriculum?

5. (Extra question, if you don't mind). Do you think people should be forced to use someone's "preferred pronouns"? Although I probably would use someone's pronouns to be polite, I don't think anyone should be compelled to do so - and I certainly don't believe that not using certain pronouns is an "act of violence" or requires legal repercussions.

Also, just in case I come across as such, I'm not trying to be inflammatory or anything. I'm just genuinely curious as to what your opinions are. I support LGBT rights - marriage, adoption, being able to do everything that other people can etc. But I do take issue with some of the "agenda" (probably not the correct term, but you get the gist).

No problem! I see a lot of NB people get pissed over simple questions, when most likely people are just curious or don't understand, so I try to remain neutral!

1- Ah, well, I guess it means the definition? It's my gender, I suppose. I'm not really sure what else to say to that ^^;

2- Well, its hard to describe - it's like with sexual orientation, it just clicks and you know. With my dysphoria, (I'm pre-transition) I feel strongly I am not in the body that I should be in. Its a really frustrating position because so many people see you as someone you aren't, it's hard to describe if you haven't felt it. It's just the way i'm most comfortable identifying as :smile:

3 - Fair enough, I have the same view with bathroom use tbh. There should be more gender neutral bathrooms - not just for equality - but so that less people commit crimes in such places under the mask of being 'transgender'. It really gives us a bad name, and it's awful for the victims. I completely agree that people who aren't trans that claim to be so they can get away with things, are disgusting and it's an issue that needs to be sorted out. However I also think actual trans people shouldn't be left out of the equation.

4 - I agree with it, honestly. Whether you're left wing or right wing, it's good to have knowledge of it to prevent homo/transphobic acts of violence in the future, and to educate kids on the fact that its okay to be yourself! There should be a lot more knowledge on, if there is a trans kid in that class, what dysphoria is, safe ways to battle it and things such as that.

5 - I believe that if someone misgenders a trans person on purpose, they're rude. You can't really force someone to change their way of thinking, you just have to suck it up and move on. Accept that they're wrong and just ignore them, I guess - it's the same with anything. You're always going to have someone who will do that to annoy you or to disrespect you.

And I getcha, some of us really push our identities in peoples faces and its annoying even to me lmao. I think we should be who we are, the same as everyone else in the world.
Original post by CoolCavy
Thanks for explaining :smile: so it's more a disconnect with secondary sex characteristics itself rather than gender expression? Have just always wondered as am quite a masculine girl but have never thought of myself as anything but a tomboy.
Is interesting to learn about different people's lives :smile:

I mean, I guess it's both? But I think dysphoria makes a huge difference.
Idk, it depends who you talk to about it I guess!
when you open a new yogurt, do you lick the lid ?

:holmes:
Original post by Kiritsugu
Would you say you're transgender?

Have you been able to identify why you hated being perceived as a girl?

Some people think that being transgender is a mental illness. Considering that most people live tough lives and have a wide array of problems, do you think you have specific issues (mental or physical) that binary people don't usually exhibit?

What kind of music do you like? (I like Attack on Titan music.)

Yep! I'm not my assigned gender, so I have transitioned away from it!

It's just a feeling. It's the same as someone calling you the opposite sex your entire life, it's uncomfortable and frustrating I guess? For a long time I didn't know why, but its a lot easier to manage now that I do!

Ah, this is a misconception. Being transgender isn't a mental illness. Being transgender comes with gender dysphoria though, and in a lot of cases it's 'cured' by transitioning and being accepted as your gender! I do have dysphoria, on top of depression and anxiety, which may play hand in hand.

I love linked horizon! (AOT music haha, I was a huge AOT nerd in year 9) Right now, it's between Cavetown and Unlike Pluto!
Original post by runawaytrolley
How old are you, and when did you realise you were non-binary (or around when)?

I'm 16, going on 17. I realised I was nonbinary 3-4 years ago (13 years old). For a long time before that, I was hyper-aware (?) of being called female, and it annoyed tf out of me but i didn't know why!
Original post by the bear
when you open a new yogurt, do you lick the lid ?

:holmes:

Hmm... here's an option: I don't like yogurt :biggrin: imfussy
Hmm... here's an option: I don't like yogurt :biggrin: imfussy

:hand:

:creep:

Latest