The Student Room Group

Understanding Gas & Electricity Bill

Hi,

I've recently switched Gas and Electricity provider.
The switch date was the 25th of July 2019 but on my final energy bill (attached below) it says how I have 'Balance from your last bill on 08 August 2019'.

What is this balance that I owe and why is the date 08 August 2019 when my previous bill was on the 3rd May 2019 and I switched on the 25th July 2019?

I pay quarterly via cheque.

Thank You.
(edited 4 years ago)
Is the units and charges correct? If yes pay it, if not then call them.
Reply 2
Original post by Grant Thompson
Hi,

I've recently switched Gas and Electricity provider.
The switch date was the 25th of July 2019 but on my final energy bill (attached below) it says how I have 'Balance from your last bill on 08 August 2019'.

What is this balance that I owe and why is the date 08 August 2019 when my previous bill was on the 3rd May 2019 and I switched on the 25th July 2019?

It sounds like you gave the final readings on or after 25th July, and they generated a bill from those readings on 8th August.

The charges will be for energy you used before you switched provider, and any applicable standing charges.

As @doodle_333 suggests, pay it if it looks right, and contact them if not. Did you not get a breakdown of how the figures were calculated?
Original post by martin7
It sounds like you gave the final readings on or after 25th July, and they generated a bill from those readings on 8th August.

The charges will be for energy you used before you switched provider, and any applicable standing charges.

As @doodle_333 suggests, pay it if it looks right, and contact them if not. Did you not get a breakdown of how the figures were calculated?

Thanks for the response martin7
I've attached the breakdown below.
It seems like I was initially billed £251 which I paid May (3 months ago) and they recalculated that I now owe them £326. A £75 surplus.

I'm not sure if it is right or is worth ringing them up.
Reply 4
Original post by Grant Thompson
Thanks for the response martin7
I've attached the breakdown below.
It seems like I was initially billed £251 which I paid May (3 months ago) and they recalculated that I now owe them £326. A £75 surplus.

I'm not sure if it is right or is worth ringing them up.

Did they not issue bills showing how they've calculated these amounts? You should ask for a breakdown of how these have been calculated.

All the bills I get from my electricity and gas suppliers show in detail how the bills have been calculated -- i.e. start meter reading, end meter reading, this many kilowatt-hours charged at this rate, so much standing charge etc.
Reply 5
It looks like your previous bill was based on estimates and now that you have applied to switch to another company the actually meter reading at the point of switch shows that you have an outstanding balance to pay. I would call them anyway for clarification and ask them just to confirm how they have arrived at this figure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending