The Student Room Group

Any Smartphone suggestion?

As the 3rd quarter has begun and most of the phones have released by now except the upcoming iPhone 11 and Huawei Mate 30 series, I am planing to buy a new smartphone after saving up for a year now since my old phone died on me. Any suggestions that you guys could add?
I have been recommended OnePlus 7 pro 12gb ram 256gb alot? are there other phone too that I can look into too?
Should I wait for Christmas sales as I am not in a hurry :redface:
(edited 4 years ago)
Google pixel 💯
BEST camera on the market at the moment.
Decent battery life.
Nice size too.
Reply 2
iPhone XS Max 256 gigabytes
I have always had iPhones but I just bought a Samsung s8 - 2 years old now but still a great phone. Could get s9 as a more modern version, I did consider Huawei too but thought this was best.
It's my favourite phone, how come I forgot about that! BTW Pixel 4 is upcoming this Fall season too :u: I hope it doesn't come with a horrible notch design again!
Original post by Deggs_14
iPhone XS Max 256 gigabytes

iPhone 11 is near the corner now. XS Max still sells for 1100 Quids, might have to wait before iPhone 11 releases this september :redface:
Original post by Mr. Petrol Head
It's my favourite phone, how come I forgot about that! BTW Pixel 4 is upcoming this Fall season too :u: I hope it doesn't come with a horrible notch design again!

Mine too! :five:
I know :smile:
Original post by JamesManc
I have always had iPhones but I just bought a Samsung s8 - 2 years old now but still a great phone. Could get s9 as a more modern version, I did consider Huawei too but thought this was best.

I have heard some good things about samsung s9 phones, I might look into them too :wink: Cheers bro :smile:
I love stock android. Have you tried Google pixel series phones?
(edited 4 years ago)
As the 3rd quarter has begun and most of the phones have released by now except the upcoming iPhone 11 and Huawei Mate 30 series, I am planing to buy a new smartphone after saving up for a year now since my old phone died on me. Any suggestions that you guys could add?
I have been recommended OnePlus 7 pro 12gb ram 256gb alot? are there other phone too that I can look into too?
Should I wait for Christmas sales as I am not in a hurry :redface:

You've also got the upcoming Pixels that are well worth considering.

As for currently released recommendations, you can check my buyer's guide. I need to add Huawei's phones back in (the P30 Pro and Mate 20 Pro are among my top choices for regular flagships, the Honor 8X and Honour Play are top recommendations for budget phones, the P30 Pro is my #1 camera phone recommendation, and the Mate 20 X is the best large screen phone on the market) but besides that it's mostly up to date.
I really fancy those Pixel series of phones. But they tend to be very pricey for the specifications they come in. Man, I love that crazy 50x digital AI zoom on the P30 pro! Its also a battery beast! I have short listed that phone for now :smile:
I really fancy those Pixel series of phones. But they tend to be very pricey for the specifications they come in. Man, I love that crazy 50x digital AI zoom on the P30 pro! Its also a battery beast! I have short listed that phone for now :smile:

It's a good time to buy Huawei's current generation flagships, prices took a big hit after Trump temporarily banned US companies from working them and a couple of months after being reinstated prices have climbed a bit but remained lower than they would have been if they had just depreciated naturally. The Mate 20 Pro is an especially good buy right now and actually arguably the better phone over the P30 Pro outside of it's crazy camera system, you can find it for under £500 now which is nuts.
I guess trump ban is a win win situation for us buyers now :biggrin: Both have kirin 980 processor, and 500 quids is just hilariously nuts compared with p30 pros's 800 price :lol:
I am really falling for the oneplus 7 pro :love:
Reply 14
I have a Zenfone 6. It has a few key advantages over the Oneplus:

Cheaper (I bought mine for about £420)

Same processor, main camera sensor

Bigger battery (5000 Mah compared to 4000 Mah)

Headphone Jack

Expandable storage via Micro-SD

Flippy camera (Means amazing selfies, and wide angle on the front camera)

Also a few disadvantages:

LCD screen (Not a massive deal, but some people prefer AMOLED)

No telephoto lens

Screen is 60Hz, not 90Hz

No form of waterproofing

Hard to get hold of in UK (I had to import mine)

Hope this gives you another perspective.

I should also add that RAM is not a massive deal in phones. After about 6GB, there are really no use-cases where more RAM is an advantage. You could save money by going for a variant with less RAM.
Original post by znedd1
I have a Zenfone 6. It has a few key advantages over the Oneplus:

Cheaper (I bought mine for about £420)

Same processor, main camera sensor

Bigger battery (5000 Mah compared to 4000 Mah)

Headphone Jack

Expandable storage via Micro-SD

Flippy camera (Means amazing selfies, and wide angle on the front camera)

Also a few disadvantages:

LCD screen (Not a massive deal, but some people prefer AMOLED)

No telephoto lens

Screen is 60Hz, not 90Hz

No form of waterproofing

Hard to get hold of in UK (I had to import mine)

Hope this gives you another perspective.

I should also add that RAM is not a massive deal in phones. After about 6GB, there are really no use-cases where more RAM is an advantage. You could save money by going for a variant with less RAM.

Asus makes killer phones man. The new ROG phone 2 is even cheaper now with 120hz amoled and 6000mah battery!! I will definitely look into both of them :smile:
i would like to suggest, try out the phones first. And then see which one is more suitable for your use.

You might be surprise how Huawei has improved over the years. Especially the P30 Pro
And the performance gets better and faster over the years. Unlike some other phones.
There's the Xiaomi Mi 9

Flagship specs while costing what flagships used to cost a few years ago. The 128GB model will set you back about £450

The usual specs

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
So guys, I just bought the new OnePlus 7 8gb ram and 256gb storage :colondollar:
Thanks for your opinions and recommendations 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending