The Student Room Group

RESULTS! A*AAB for medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40

Might be me, but I cannot see where that says that those that do 4 A levels get better grades than those that do 3?
Original post by justgotmyresults
Hi there!

(I'm pretty new to TSR. I posted this in the medicine forum but I'm not sure which forum is more suitable for this so don't mind me posting this twice lol)

I just got my A Level Results and (I know this will sound like I'm ungrateful but) I'm a little disappointed ngl :/

A* - Chemistry
A - Maths
A - Biology
B - Physics

I expected an A* in Maths, I knew I hadn't done so well in Physics, and I did NOT expect A* in Chemistry. (I was predicted A*A*A*A, the A in Biology). I haven't applied for any course yet and I really REALLY want to do medicine in the UK.

I have a few questions:
1. Will A*AA only be considered? Or will all four A*AAB be considered and will the B bring me down?
2. Is it worth applying for medicine specifically with the B in Physics?
3. Should I retake A2 Physics to get an A (hopefully) ?

Thank you!

A*AA is fine, Medicine only has 3 grade requirements so they will disregard the lowest one, provided it isn't in Chemistry or Biology.

Well done, you should be proud!
Original post by Nuttyy
Lol, so you're telling me OP missed out on Cambridge because they went to a high performing school and shouldve 'statistically' done better as they did 4 A levels? What a joke lol. If OP did 3 A levels they could've easily got 3A*s as there are less subjects to focus on, thereby have a shot at Cambridge. Following on from what you said, OP would've done worse, had they done 3 A levels. What sort of BS logic are you spewing out? 😂😂😂.

Look at what I just posted. The stats are there and published by the Government not me.
Original post by GANFYD
Might be me, but I cannot see where that says that those that do 4 A levels get better grades than those that do 3?

It is a simple inference which I believe is true. These schools make there students do 4 A-Levels and as you can visibly see they are top of the Government's League Table. If you can find a three A-Level school only I'd be surprised.
Original post by justgotmyresults
Hi there!

(I'm pretty new to TSR. I posted this in the medicine forum but I'm not sure which forum is more suitable for this so don't mind me posting this twice lol)

I just got my A Level Results and (I know this will sound like I'm ungrateful but) I'm a little disappointed ngl :/

A* - Chemistry
A - Maths
A - Biology
B - Physics

I expected an A* in Maths, I knew I hadn't done so well in Physics, and I did NOT expect A* in Chemistry. (I was predicted A*A*A*A, the A in Biology). I haven't applied for any course yet and I really REALLY want to do medicine in the UK.

I have a few questions:
1. Will A*AA only be considered? Or will all four A*AAB be considered and will the B bring me down?
2. Is it worth applying for medicine specifically with the B in Physics?
3. Should I retake A2 Physics to get an A (hopefully) ?

Thank you!

CONGRATULATIONS, dw its understandable why you would be a little disappointed success is relative. (cliche ik :biggrin:) hope you can find the answer to your question. again A* in chemistry damn congrats again :h:

good luck for the future
Reply 45
Original post by Vetrix42
It is a simple inference which I believe is true. These schools make there students do 4 A-Levels and as you can visibly see they are top of the Government's League Table. If you can find a three A-Level school only I'd be surprised.

Correlation != causation.

Could be that smart kids go to them schools after being filtered by entrance exams. Then these schools force them to do 4. Such schools end up with students with grades such as A*AAB, however these kids would've got 3A*s had they been allowed to do 3 A levels. Ygm?
Original post by Nuttyy
Correlation != causation.

Could be that smart kids go to them schools after being filtered by entrance exams. Then these schools force them to do 4. Such schools end up with students with grades such as A*AAB, however these kids would've got 3A*s had they been allowed to do 3 A levels. Ygm?

Regarding your point that is another example of Correlation != causation. However, it is quite obvious that schools that do 4 A-Levels is because the school is good lmao. But that isn't necessary true your point as schools doing 3 A-Levels you don't see them with 3A*'s just cos they do 3 lmao.

That’s not true. Most schools are 3 a Levels only, few are 3 a Levels and one AS. Those that do 4 a Levels probably showed that they would be capable of doing so and therefore chose to, for whatever reason whether it be personal challenge, or applying to Oxbridge.

This is because most uni offers only require 3 Alevels, so doing three is unnecessary and may even result in lower grades
Reply 48
Regarding your point that is another example of Correlation != causation. However, it is quite obvious that schools that do 4 A-Levels is because the school is good lmao. But that isn't necessary true your point as schools doing 3 A-Levels you don't see them with 3A*'s just cos they do 3 lmao.

You misunderstood my point. I'm saying, if those good schools allowed students to do just 3 A levels instead of 4, then they would get a much more competitive grades, such as 3A*s. Forcing them able students to do 4 only lowers their chances. 3A*s are better and more competitive than A*AAB to unis.

Obviously average schools wouldnt/shouldn't make students do 4 A-Levels.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by sunnyun
That’s not true. Most schools are 3 a Levels only, few are 3 a Levels and one AS. Those that do 4 a Levels probably showed that they would be capable of doing so and therefore chose to, for whatever reason whether it be personal challenge, or applying to Oxbridge.

This is because most uni offers only require 3 Alevels, so doing three is unnecessary and may even result in lower grades

I understand your point. Universities require only 3 A-Levels which is fine. However, doing 4 doesn't necessarily lower your grade unless your incapable of doing 4.

Original post by Nuttyy
You misunderstood my point. I'm saying, if those good schools allowed students to do just 3 A levels. Then they would get a much more competitive grades such as 3A*s. Forcing them able students to do 4 only lowers their chances. 3A*s are better and more competitive than A*AAB to unis.

That's true. The schools aren't retarded they are required by Ofsted to do this. If these schools could do 1 or 2 A-Levels and that was fine for Universities they would.
Reply 50

There is nothing in the information you have posted that says people who do 4 A levels do better than people who do 3. I have randomly looked at some of the higher performing schools and they clearly state an applicant can drop an A level if they wish after the end of a term.
They are mostly selective schools so all it shows is that if you take the top performing students, they do better in exams. Not that a student sitting 4 does better than a student sitting 3. Some of these schools actually manage to remove value in terms of the education they give students as can be seen by their progress score. Brighter students who have done well in GCSEs or admissions test are more likely to do well in A levels - this is not rocket science. But this in no way says that people who do 4 A levels are likely to achieve better grades than those who do 3. You might wish to persuade yourself this is what is shown, but there is nothing in there to even say this is true, let alone that "statistically speaking students who do 4-A-Levels get better grade than people that do with 3-A-Levels". You have taken 2 possibly completely unrelated pieces of information (and I do not think that information even shows this) and decided there is a link between the two without removing bias, confounding variables or any other statistical calculations needed to make this claim
Reply 51
The schools aren't retarded they are required by Ofsted to do this. If these schools could do 1 or 2 A-Levels and that was fine for Universities they would.

Where does Ofsted require schools to make their students sit 4 A levels? Independent schools are not even directly inspected by Ofsted. My children attend a selective state Grammar School with excellent results and they can sit as many A levels as they agree are suitable
Original post by GANFYD
There is nothing in the information you have posted that says people who do 4 A levels do better than people who do 3. I have randomly looked at some of the higher performing schools and they clearly state an applicant can drop an A level if they wish after the end of a term.
They are mostly selective schools so all it shows is that if you take the top performing students, they do better in exams. Not that a student sitting 4 does better than a student sitting 3. Some of these schools actually manage to remove value in terms of the education they give students as can be seen by their progress score. Brighter students who have done well in GCSEs or admissions test are more likely to do well in A levels - this is not rocket science. But this in no way says that people who do 4 A levels are likely to achieve better grades than those who do 3. You might wish to persuade yourself this is what is shown, but there is nothing in there to even say this is true, let alone that "statistically speaking students who do 4-A-Levels get better grade than people that do with 3-A-Levels". You have taken 2 possibly completely unrelated pieces of information (and I do not think that information even shows this) and decided there is a link between the two without removing bias, confounding variables or any other statistical calculations needed to make this claim

I agree. I should have used better-wording.
Original post by GANFYD
Where does Ofsted require schools to make their students sit 4 A levels? Independent schools are not even directly inspected by Ofsted. My children attend a selective state Grammar School with excellent results and they can sit as many A levels as they agree are sui

Ofsted requires schools with exceptionally high results do diversify their curriculum and to do that they do their normal subject choices + 1 facilitating subject and that is what you'll find in the top schools.
Reply 54
Ofsted requires schools with exceptionally high results do diversify their curriculum and to do that they do their normal subject choices + 1 facilitating subject and that is what you'll find in the top schools.

That is just how some schools choose to "diversify their curriculum", there is no requirement from Ofsted for it to be in this manner, it may involve an EPQ, volunteering, AS levels, and about 101 ways schools may chose to do this. Academic schools chose an academic means of doing this, but it is not the only way allowable by UCAS. As I say, my sons' school has excellent results and almost everyone only does 3 A levels, plus an extra half day a week of enrichment activities
That's every-school on a Wednesday afternoon they do enrichment activities that's not the same thing lmao. What is this school called?

Original post by GANFYD
[post="84725018"]save[/post]That is just how some schools choose to "diversify their curriculum", there is no requirement from Ofsted for it to be in this manner, it may involve an EPQ, volunteering, AS levels, and about 101 ways schools may chose to do this. Academic schools chose an academic means of doing this, but it is not the only way allowable by UCAS. As I say, my sons' school has excellent results and almost everyone only does 3 A levels, plus an extra half day a week of enrichment activities
Reply 56
That's every-school on a Wednesday afternoon they do enrichment activities that's not the same thing lmao. What is this school called?

I am not naming my children's school on an open forum......Though they are in the top 10% of state schools.
These enrichment activities are exactly what Ofsted are looking for.
The guidelines are:
The quality of education
This judgement will be based on curriculum intent, implementation and impact.
Intent will reflect how the curriculum addresses social disadvantage, the sequence of learning identified by the school, how the curriculum addresses any gaps in knowledge and skills resulting from the local context
“At the heart of an effective key stage 4 curriculum is a strong academic core: the EBacc.” As Stephen Tierney has pointed out, there might not be much disagreement over the first half of that sentence but there could well be over the second half.
Inspectors will look for high levels of academic, vocational and technical ambition for all pupils.
“Schools taking radically different approaches to the curriculum will be judged fairly.” They will be assessed favourably if leaders can show that their curriculum has “appropriate coverage, content, structure and sequencing”.
“Inspectors will be particularly alert to signs of narrowing in key stages 2 and 3…”
A school could well be “good” even if still developing and embedding its curriculum provided that inspectors are satisfied that leaders “have an accurate evaluative understanding of current curriculum practice…and have identified appropriate next steps…”
The judgement will be partly based on how schools are equipping pupils with “cultural capital”: “…the essential knowledge that pupils need to be educated citizens…helping them to engender an appreciation of human creativity and achievement”.

A 4th A level is not necessary, or otherwise it would be compulsory at all top performing schools and it isn't.

Quick Reply

Latest