The Student Room Group

A-level Results Day 2019: Grade Boundaries

A-Level Results day 2019
Thursday 15th August
Grade Boundaries Discussion

After what seems like forever, results day is now almost upon us! :ahhhhh: This thread contains the relevant links to the grade boundaries released by the exam boards below. The vast majority of grade boundaries are now released on results day, so the links will be put up as and when they are released. It always used to be the case that A-level grade boundaries were released the day/night before results day, and many would use these to try and predict their grades. Don't stress though :nah:, your teachers will still have access to your results in advance, so they will be able to advise you about remarks when the grade boundaries come out. :yes:

Before we jump into this stressful day, make sure you all take some time to yourself to relax and reflect on your hard work throughout the past 2 years. You have earned a chance to blow off some steam. :yep: Whatever grades show up on those papers, remember you have worked incredibly hard to further yourself for your future. Be proud! :proud:

Alongside this thread make sure you check out the 2019 Guide to A-level Results Day. We also have an amazing 'Post Your Results' thread this year, and if you managed to bag yourself a place at uni, make sure you shout it out here... you have earned it! Lastly, if things didn't go to plan and you want some advice then head over to advice thread here.

The Grade Boundaries
Below, you'll find the links to each exam board's grade boundaries page, which will be linked when they are posted.

AQA: AS / A level
Edexcel: AS & A level
OCR: AS / A level
WJEC: CBAC / Eduqas AS / Eduqas A level
CIE: AS & A level

FAQ
1.What are grade boundaries and why do they even exist? :dontknow:
Grade boundaries outline the minimum raw marks needed to be awarded a certain grade for a unit (or exam) within your subject. Each subject's grade boundaries are often presented in a table. For exams with different components, each component will be combined together to form a total mark and grade. However, this may be calculated slightly differently from the previous UMS system.

In Wales and Northern Ireland (WJEC-CBAC and CCEA specifications), the unit grade boundaries are still important because the AS exams usually taken in Year 12 form part of the overall A-level grade. It's important that the raw exam scores are converted to UMS marks at each grade boundary to ensure that a candidate's overall grade is calculated fairly and correctly. This no longer applies to English specifications because all exams for a qualification (either AS or A-level) are taken in a single series.

2. What if I am close to the next grade boundary?
Being one or two marks off the next grade up can be extremely disappointing. It can also be incredibly frustrating when it may mean the difference between a place at uni or being sent into Clearing. However, your firm/insurance uni may still accept you and Clearing may mean going to a university that you end up liking more anyway. For more information about Clearing, click here.

If this happens to you, don't panic. You may be thinking about getting your paper reviewed, but this can be expensive, so make sure you think carefully about this option and you discuss it with your teachers. For more information about remarks, click here.

For more information on grade boundaries, check out this article!

Best of luck on results day! :rave:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Good lord someone leak them already
Original post by IIPolaroidII
Good lord someone leak them already

I shouldn't have thought that to be possible. Even school exam officers are unable to access them until midnight tonight, and candidates and teachers won't get to see them until Thursday morning.

The exam boards themselves should be watertight against leaks.
Original post by 学生の父
I shouldn't have thought that to be possible. Even school exam officers are unable to access them until midnight tonight, and candidates and teachers won't get to see them until Thursday morning.

The exam boards themselves should be watertight against leaks.

They "should be", yet they've leaked rather frequently in the last few years (Including 2018).
Reply 4
Fgggc
They "should be", yet they've leaked rather frequently in the last few years (Including 2018).

They've only been leaked historically once the exams officers have access to them, so not quite yet :tongue: If there's leaks they'll likely be tomorrow sometime
Im so scared for results day
Original post by Mermaidqueen
Im so scared for results day

Same
Original post by 13Mahmoods
Same

Me too

Any chance you could get ocr grade boundaries. Thank you
The CIE grade boundaries were released yesterday alongside results?
Can someone leak aqa
Aqa please!!!!
PLEASEEEEE someone leak AQA and OCR
Original post by Saamuelbryan
PLEASEEEEE someone leak AQA and OCR

If u get OCR pm me please
Reply 15
I need ocr and wjec
I need AQA & Edexcel 😣
Need AQA
Reply 18