The Student Room Group

akward / funny gym moments

please share

Scroll to see replies

Nope
Your certainly fun at parties
tell us your stories. my sessions are generally uneventful
i went on this one that you're meant to stand on and its a sort of weight that goes down when you stand on it. i jumped off thinking it would stay there or go down slowly but nope, all 50kg of it crashed down loudly and everyone stared and the people who work there came over thinking i was attacked by some dumbells idk😭lol
hahhahaha thats made me laugh out loud at 2am lol. Whats wrong with the leg press though? its not great ik , Btw i've never done deadlift before, should I try and face my fear?
Reply 6
Saw a guy doing pelvic thrusts on the cables.

Might be practicing for his gf/wife but it was pretty funny.
Reply 7
I was on set 1/5 of bench press. This girl walks over to the bench and stares blankly at me. I do my second set and she's still there (hasn't moved at all). I do my third set and she's still there (hasn't moved). I give a friendly smile and receive the same blank stare. I complete my 4th set and she's still there (hasn't moved). I then politely ask her if everything is ok. She feebly says yes and asks if she can borrow the 10kg weight (that I wasn't even using). I say yh take it then she apologises and says she was scared to ask. I'm not going to beat you up lol the worst I can do is say no.
At my university gym some guy was waving to his friend behind me. Because I speak to lots of people and forget some people I waved back. It was awkward when I realised it was actually to the person behind me :biggrin:.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by STLJA
I was on set 1/5 of bench press. This girl walks over to the bench and stares blankly at me. I do my second set and she's still there (hasn't moved at all). I do my third set and she's still there (hasn't moved). I give a friendly smile and receive the same blank stare. I complete my 4th set and she's still there (hasn't moved). I then politely ask her if everything is ok. She feebly says yes and asks if she can borrow the 10kg weight (that I wasn't even using). I say yh take it then she apologises and says she was scared to ask. I'm not going to beat you up lol the worst I can do is say no.

She was just mirin your form, the 10kg thing was clearly an excuse. :tongue:
Simple way to avoid awkward moments: don’t go to the gym.
Reply 11
Original post by dontevenknow2
please share

I saw a dude doing tricep cable extensions. His mate came over and scratched his butthole. It was proper weird. And no, this is not a joke.
My friend was doing squats and farted multiple times on the way up and started apologizing to the guy next to him.

There was this guy who would lift weights and shout "ooga booga booga booga" as he did the eccentric motion.

Some teenager (I'd say 16ish) began recording a video threatening someone it was like one of those Irish gypsy videos where they threaten someone to a fight and you can't understand anything they're saying. Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixFQUpLnr3E he was doing the same invisible lat syndrome thing.

This very fit guy came in once with hello kitty socks, lifted like 1 weight then showed his vanity by dancing and touching himself up whilst looking in the mirror, then lifted a weight once again rinse and repeat many times over.

It's been almost a year since I've been in the gym so I can't remember all the terminology. But I was doing deadlifts, I think around 125kgish and this guy wanted to do that thing where you take turns using the weights and I told him I had x number of sets left, but thought **** this is getting hard but he kept taking weights off readjusting for me and I powered through it. Same thing happened many times on squats; I'll tell them how many I've got left, then I'll think to myself " ****, why did I say that? " or "**** this is getting hard now". And everyone knows how eager people are for the squat rack, because most gyms are crap.
Original post by HGS345
I saw a dude doing tricep cable extensions. His mate came over and scratched his butthole. It was proper weird. And no, this is not a joke.

What a thoughtful friend!
Haven’t had many funny/awkward moments at the gym. There was this one time I was working out and this guy was in the corner looking into the mirror and practicing his boxing skills. He was literally throwing jabs at the air and dancing around while staring into the mirror. Spent about 10 minutes doing that then I thought I’d seen enough and left.
Original post by STLJA

Lmaoo waiting 4 sets is a stretch but understandable, it’s like when you cross the road because there’s a group of boys ahead 😂
Reply 16
Original post by RichPiana
Haven’t had many funny/awkward moments at the gym. There was this one time I was working out and this guy was in the corner looking into the mirror and practicing his boxing skills. He was literally throwing jabs at the air and dancing around while staring into the mirror. Spent about 10 minutes doing that then I thought I’d seen enough and left.

Its called shadowboxing, people usually do it for the warm up/cardio including me (but I never do it in front of people, I can understand the weirdness)
It literally isn't mate :rofl: At least not purely from a hypertrophy perspective, the squat is actually a non-essential quad exercise in terms of bodybuilding.

The squat and leg press exhibit similar levels of quad activation on EMG studies. Same potential for progressive overload which makes both suitable as a primary exercise, in fact the leg press may be superior in that regard as you can increase the weights more safely and your poundage is less likely to be impacted by your technique. Plus there's the fact that the squat takes a LOT more energy and causes more CNS stress than the leg press despite the same level of quad activation, meaning you can give subsequent quad exercises more effort or recover better from your workouts if they're lower in volume. Plus of course there's the obligatory example of someone it worked for in Dorian Yates, who never did squats and used the leg press as his primary leg exercise and still built humongous quads.

Doesn't have to be either/or of course and you can do both, personally I don't do squats anymore and haven't for a while now, legs are still growing well. Only bad thing you can say about the leg press in comparison to the squat is that the glutes are worked more heavily in the squat, but the squat is a pretty mediocre glute builder anyway and deadlift variants in your routine will provide better glute work anyhow.
I was at the gym once minding my own business. This guy comes in who looks like he has no idea what he's doing as he's doing a lot of just staring at the machines. Then he decides to start doing every machine he could figure out on the maximum weight possible which depending on the machine can go up to 150kg. It was funny to watch him do a leg press as each time he did one he would scream out loud. He got loads of funny looks throughout his workout.

Quick Reply

Latest