The Student Room Group
Original post by Teagyyx
14 year old went to get her nose pierced in Claire’s today, they said she’s not allowed as she has to be 16 ! However everywhere else says 13 with parent present

It’s usually 16 I thought?

Claire’s is a big company, they can’t make mistakes like doing underage piercings.
Claires pierce ears and noses with a piercing GUN rather than needle so honestly its best that this girl was refused because of her age. Its extremely dangerous and unhygienic to pierce using guns which is why you should always go to a qualified piercing studio to get piercings.
Original post by 421salpho
Claires pierce ears and noses with a piercing GUN rather than needle so honestly its best that this girl was refused because of her age. Its extremely dangerous and unhygienic to pierce using guns which is why you should always go to a qualified piercing studio to get piercings.

Why would a needle be more hygienic?
Do research first into using a gun! I looked into it and it’s unhygienic and it can cause damage to the cartilage! Go to a proper piercer.
Guns can't be sterilised as they come straight from the manufacturer, opened with the earring already inside then forced through the ear. Needles can be sterilised (and always will be if you go to a qualified piercer) and they remove the actual tissue making it easier to heal rather than forcing something through.
Remember, Claires workers are usually people who are trained in customer service- NOT a qualified and professional piercer.
Guns can't be sterilised as they come straight from the manufacturer, opened with the earring already inside then forced through the ear. Needles can be sterilised (and always will be if you go to a qualified piercer) and they remove the actual tissue making it easier to heal rather than forcing something through.
Remember, Claires workers are usually people who are trained in customer service- NOT a qualified and professional piercer.

Guns use disposable cartridges that are sterile, and Claire's employees do get training before they are allowed to do piercings! And doing piercings is hardly rocket science...
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by black tea
Guns use disposable cartridges that are sterile, and Claire's employees do get training before they are allowed to do piercings! And doing piercings is hardly rocket science...

They’re not stored in a sterile environment and can’t be sterilised before use. Claire’s employees are most likely middle aged customer service workers who get what, a few hours of “training” and then shove a blunt piercing into someone’s nose/ear. Piercings have a lot more to them than just putting it wherever and pushing something through tissue they require knowing the nerves and muscles in your body, what jewelleries work best for the customer, teaching the customer breathing skills etc. Dunno about you but i’d rather get my piercings from a qualified piercer who knows what they’re doing and uses sterile equipment than go to claire’s where they use unhygienic and dangerous methods
They’re not stored in a sterile environment and can’t be sterilised before use. Claire’s employees are most likely middle aged customer service workers who get what, a few hours of “training” and then shove a blunt piercing into someone’s nose/ear. Piercings have a lot more to them than just putting it wherever and pushing something through tissue they require knowing the nerves and muscles in your body, what jewelleries work best for the customer, teaching the customer breathing skills etc. Dunno about you but i’d rather get my piercings from a qualified piercer who knows what they’re doing and uses sterile equipment than go to claire’s where they use unhygienic and dangerous methods

The bits that touch the customer are sterile and the method is perfectly safe (else it would not be used in the UK). I very much doubt that many piercers have a degree in anatomy :rolleyes:
The bits that touch the customer are sterile and the method is perfectly safe (else it would not be used in the UK). I very much doubt that many piercers have a degree in anatomy :rolleyes:

There’s no way for them to be sterilised. The method isn’t safe as it can shatter cartilage and damage tissue as the stud is punctured through by blunt force. Drinking and smoking aren’t safe yet the UK allows that. I doubt it too however any qualified piercer will have the knowledge of the anatomy they pierce to ensure it’s a safe area and method they use. :smile:

Look at what professional piercers say, I would rather take their advice than Claire’s. Plus people are trying to get them banned in the UK.
Original post by Teagyyx
14 year old went to get her nose pierced in Claire’s today, they said she’s not allowed as she has to be 16 ! However everywhere else says 13 with parent present

Moved to the Fashion and Beauty section :smile:
Reply 12

This is absolutely the truth! Piercing guns pierce with Force and will Destroy cartilage. The only thing that should be pierced with a gun is earlobes.
Reply 13
See above.
(edited 7 months ago)

Latest