The Student Room Group
Original post by IceMaiden2000
Would be grateful for advice please! If I were offered a Science Foundation year at Manchester should I take it or go into clearing to go straight into a physics degree at a mid tier uni? If I did take the foundation, is there the possibility of transferring to the first year of physics degree, after the first term perhaps, if I show I'm capable of it?

This is something you would need to decide. If you're offered the foundation year then speak to Manchester about the possibility of upgrading into year 1 during the foundation year. I doubt they would agree to this to be honest.

You'll need to look into what's available in clearing and decide if you want to risk declining the offer from manchester. They might be able to offer reassurance that you can opt to apply elsewhere in clearing but come back to them if you don't find something you prefer to the foundation year.

It's worth talking to your teachers about the possibility of resitting your exams too. That often works out a lot cheaper and give you more options than a foundation year.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by PQ
This is something you would need to decide. If you're offered the foundation year then speak to Manchester about the possibility of upgrading into year 1 during the foundation year. I doubt they would agree to this to be honest.

You'll need to look into what's available in clearing and decide if you want to risk declining the offer from manchester. They might be able to offer reassurance that you can opt to apply elsewhere in clearing but come back to them if you don't find something you prefer to the foundation year.

It's worth talking to your teachers about the possibility of resitting your exams too. That often works out a lot cheaper and give you more options than a foundation year.

Thanks-I re-sat some exams from last year as I'd been very ill the year before so another re-sit isn't really an option! I guess my insurance choice might accept me but I can't really think of anywhere I want to go other than Manchester 😭
Original post by IceMaiden2000
Thanks-I re-sat some exams from last year as I'd been very ill the year before so another re-sit isn't really an option! I guess my insurance choice might accept me but I can't really think of anywhere I want to go other than Manchester 😭

Yes your Insurance uni might accept you, would you be happy to go there if it came to it? Because you wouldn't have to accept the foundation course at Manchester if they made you a changed offer onto that course, and it might be preferable to go to your Insurance instead, if they were able to offer you a place?
Original post by harrysbar
Yes your Insurance uni might accept you, would you be happy to go there if it came to it? Because you wouldn't have to accept the foundation course at Manchester if they made you a changed offer onto that course, and it might be preferable to go to your Insurance instead, if they were able to offer you a place?

Even though my insurance is a really good uni, I really don't want to go anywhere other than Manchester and if I went somewhere else I'd just feel I was settling. I know I probably shouldn't have set my heart on Manchester but the minute I arrived for my interview I knew it was the place for me. Despite the extra debt and the come down of having to do a foundation year, if it was offered I'd probs take it. If I was offered a place at my insurance though and I took it, what are the chances of transferring to Manchester in my second year if I do well enough and still want to go there?!
Hi in a similar predicament wondering what you ended up doing?

Latest

Trending

Trending