The Student Room Group

How much do AS results for dropped subjects matter?

At my school we do 4 subjects at AS , drop one and do a real AS paper in the dropped subject.

For the subjects I haven't dropped I've been predicted A*AA which is fine for law. However I'm pretty sure I did terribly on my dropped subject AS paper Maths (C or D) - will this affect my UCAS application or how unis view me, or am I fine as long as I have the right predicted grades for A2?

Thanks
Original post by tzi_12
At my school we do 4 subjects at AS , drop one and do a real AS paper in the dropped subject.

For the subjects I haven't dropped I've been predicted A*AA which is fine for law. However I'm pretty sure I did terribly on my dropped subject AS paper Maths (C or D) - will this affect my UCAS application or how unis view me, or am I fine as long as I have the right predicted grades for A2?

Thanks

You're fine, the dropped subject won't affect your application for Law. It's not a required subject and unis will only be looking at your top 3 A level subjects
Reply 2
Original post by harrysbar
You're fine, the dropped subject won't affect your application for Law. It's not a required subject and unis will only be looking at your top 3 A level subjects

Thanks! Just out of curiosity, what is the point of sitting real AS papers for dropped subjects then if unis only look at the A2 results?

Basically wasted all that time doing Maths if it doesn't count towards anything right? (Even if I did end up doing well)
Original post by tzi_12
Thanks! Just out of curiosity, what is the point of sitting real AS papers for dropped subjects then if unis only look at the A2 results?

Basically wasted all that time doing Maths if it doesn't count towards anything right? (Even if I did end up doing well)

In your case I can't see that there was much benefit to sitting A/S level maths in addition to the other 3, but a pass in Maths AS is always going to look good on your CV (even if the grade is average) so there's that.

The vast majority of people are better off sticking to 3 A levels and putting all their time and energy into getting the best possible grades in those 3. But some people want to do 4 and some schools put pressure on people to do 4, because the extra points make them seem better on school league tables
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
In your case I can't see that there was much benefit to sitting A/S level maths in addition to the other 3, but a pass in Maths AS is always going to look good on your CV (even if the grade is average) so there's that.

The vast majority of people are better off sticking to 3 A levels and putting all their time and energy into getting the best possible grades in those 3. But some people want to do 4 and some schools put pressure on people to do 4, because the extra points make them seem better on school league tables

Thanks a lot! Makes sense
Original post by tzi_12
Thanks a lot! Makes sense

No problem. Good Luck for tomorrow, let us know if you want any help with anything or just want to talk about your great results :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending