The Student Room Group

Changed my mind of uni the day before results day

Tomorrow is results day, and this morning I more or less decided, even if I get the grades for my firm and insurance choice (Durham and Bristol), which are globally-recognised unis, I think I'm going to enter into clearing anyway. I realised the course at Newcastle suits me best, and wins all the comparisons I've made between the unis.

Please could I have some advice on this? Is it worth choosing a better course, which suits me well, over a University which could aid me in my future employability, as it is so prestigious, and I could get in with my grades, possibly? I like Durham, but I'm now sceptical of the course and nightlife and the collegiate system and everything.

Thank you!
Original post by bellaskp
Tomorrow is results day, and this morning I more or less decided, even if I get the grades for my firm and insurance choice (Durham and Bristol), which are globally-recognised unis, I think I'm going to enter into clearing anyway. I realised the course at Newcastle suits me best, and wins all the comparisons I've made between the unis.

Please could I have some advice on this? Is it worth choosing a better course, which suits me well, over a University which could aid me in my future employability, as it is so prestigious, and I could get in with my grades, possibly? I like Durham, but I'm now sceptical of the course and nightlife and the collegiate system and everything.

Thank you!

It all seems very sudden but is it, or have you been feeling this way for a while? Do you know whether the course you prefer at Newcastle is even in Clearing? What course is it? So many questions!

Thank you!

Hey!

Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this, and that's really important. Your gut is usually right in situations like this - what's it telling you? How did you come to this decision in the first place?

It's worth putting all the pros and cons into consideration here. If you enter Clearing, you will also have the pressure of finding accommodation, which may not be halls, and also everything that comes with going to a new city which you hadn't been planning originally on living in. Have you visited Newcastle before, or gone to an Open Day? I'd really recommend that you go there before you make any decisions if you haven't visited before, and most Uni's in clearing will have an option to visit so check it out.

However, if you know it's the right course for you, and you really don't want to attend Durham or Bristol, then it sounds like it could be a good decision. You need to think carefully about this before you do it - be sure it's what you want and accept the difficulties that come with making the decision to enter Clearing. However, only you know what you want, so trust your instincts and make sure you've done as much research as possible into what will happen if you do.

Good luck with everything, whatever you decide I hope tomorrow goes well :hugs:

Strawberry
Reply 3
I have quite an airy mind, so for ages I have had a feeling I'd be in Newcastle. Weird. But seriously, when I visited Durham I didn't feel right there. Yeah, the course is in clearing, I've just double-checked! It's combined honours: English Lit and Philosophy!
Thank you for replying, this stuff is a bit last minute hahaha.
Reply 4
Think about accommodation too up in Newcastle:smile: ask them if they guarantee it if you apply through clearing
Reply 5
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Hey!

Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this, and that's really important. Your gut is usually right in situations like this - what's it telling you? How did you come to this decision in the first place?

It's worth putting all the pros and cons into consideration here. If you enter Clearing, you will also have the pressure of finding accommodation, which may not be halls, and also everything that comes with going to a new city which you hadn't been planning originally on living in. Have you visited Newcastle before, or gone to an Open Day? I'd really recommend that you go there before you make any decisions if you haven't visited before, and most Uni's in clearing will have an option to visit so check it out.

However, if you know it's the right course for you, and you really don't want to attend Durham or Bristol, then it sounds like it could be a good decision. You need to think carefully about this before you do it - be sure it's what you want and accept the difficulties that come with making the decision to enter Clearing. However, only you know what you want, so trust your instincts and make sure you've done as much research as possible into what will happen if you do.

Good luck with everything, whatever you decide I hope tomorrow goes well :hugs:

Strawberry

Hey, thank you so much! I've visited Newcastle and I did like it there! I've compared the unis looking at pros and cons, and they're pretty similar except Newcastle's course is better, which is something I'd favour anyway. Accommodation could be an issue ... But I guess there'll be spaces to fill from people who haven't got into Newcastle?
Thank you again:smile:

Bella
Reply 6
Original post by harrysbar
It all seems very sudden but is it, or have you been feeling this way for a while? Do you know whether the course you prefer at Newcastle is even in Clearing? What course is it? So many questions!

I have quite an airy mind, so for ages I have had a feeling I'd be in Newcastle. Weird. But seriously, when I visited Durham I didn't feel right there. Yeah, the course is in clearing, I've just double-checked! It's combined honours: English Lit and Philosophy!

It's good that the course is in Clearing and there is the option this year to self release into Clearing (once you have an unconditional offer from Durham or Bristol tomorrow) so you could apply to Newcastle instead. But it is a big decision.... I would phone Newcastle Admissions for a chat today, they won't be able to discuss your A level results or anything like that but they could give you some general advice such as what grades they will be looking for tomorrow and what your chances would be of gettting decent accommodation as a Clearing applicant.

Thank you!

Hello, :cyber:

You have had some great advice shared already.

I would just like to add that as you will be studying at the university and studying the course for a minimum of three years, you want to make the decision based on where you think you'll be happiest. I chose a university at first based on it being prestigious but after a year had to make the change to Liverpool Hope because I wasn't happy there. If I would of done the research before I made the decision I would of realised that the course at Hope was a lot better suit for me.

I hope this helps,
Tom :biggrin:

Hi bellaskp

It's great to hear that you're interested in coming to study with us!

In terms of Clearing, there is no confirmation of which courses are or aren't available until tomorrow. To find out if a course is in Clearing you would need to call us on 0800 073 5050 from 7am tomorrow morning. Our step by step guide to Clearing can be found here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/clearing/guide/

The good news is that accommodation is guaranteed to all students who receive an offer from us in Clearing :thumbsup:

Do you have any other questions about the Clearing process, or the University or course, which I can help with?

Tina :smile:
Original post by Newcastle University Student Ambassador
Hi bellaskp

In terms of Clearing, there is no confirmation of which courses are or aren't available until tomorrow. To find out if a course is in Clearing you would need to call us on 0800 073 5050 from 7am tomorrow morning. Our step by step guide to Clearing can be found here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/clearing/guide/

The good news is that accommodation is guaranteed to all students who receive an offer from us in Clearing :thumbsup:

Do you have any other questions about the Clearing process, or the University or course, which I can help with?

Hi Tina

The issue of university accommodation worries me (as a parent). When you say that all Clearing students are guaranteed accommodation, what does that mean? Does it mean they are guaranteed a room on campus or they are guaranteed a room in university managed accommodation, and if the latter, are they likely to be placed with other Freshers?
Reply 11
Hi bellaskp

Thanks so much for replying! Do you have any idea how quickly the vacancies fill up?
Original post by harrysbar
Hi Tina

The issue of university accommodation worries me (as a parent). When you say that all Clearing students are guaranteed accommodation, what does that mean? Does it mean they are guaranteed a room on campus or they are guaranteed a room in university managed accommodation, and if the latter, are they likely to be placed with other Freshers?

Hi harrysbar

Clearing students are made the same guarantee of accommodation as all of our new students so the accommodation on offer is the same as if they'd applied and received an offer originally: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/new-students/guarantee/#undergraduate We guarantee all students a place in university-owned or managed partnership accommodation for their first year of study, but can't guarantee their first choice of accommodation within this.

You can find more information about this here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/clearing/accommodation/newcastle/

Our accommodation overview shows you which accommodations are for undergraduates, postgraduates, or both: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacuk/accommodation/files/Accomm%20overview%202019.pdf

For our university-managed residences we still manage the application and allocations of these flats so students would only be with other Newcastle University students which would for the most part be first year students, as we only guarantee accommodation to first years. Students cannot apply to live in these residences separately (so there wouldn't be students from other universities in there for example).

Our accommodation helpline will also be open from 8:30am tomorrow to answer any questions you may have about this: 0191 208 0700

Hope this helps,

Tina
Thanks so much for replying! Do you have any idea how quickly the vacancies fill up?

Hi bellaskp,

I'm sorry there's no way of knowing this, it completely depends on the circumstances of the day. We would always advise you to ring as soon as possible on the day to avoid disappointment.

Tina
Reply 14
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hello, :cyber:

You have had some great advice shared already.

I would just like to add that as you will be studying at the university and studying the course for a minimum of three years, you want to make the decision based on where you think you'll be happiest. I chose a university at first based on it being prestigious but after a year had to make the change to Liverpool Hope because I wasn't happy there. If I would of done the research before I made the decision I would of realised that the course at Hope was a lot better suit for me.

I hope this helps,
Tom :biggrin:

Tom, this is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you so much! I'll keep my options open.
Reply 15
Hi bellaskp,

I'm sorry there's no way of knowing this, it completely depends on the circumstances of the day. We would always advise you to ring as soon as possible on the day to avoid disappointment.

Tina

Okay, thanks again. So, I can call from 7am? And would I be ringing Newcastle's clearing telephone number, not the admissions line??
Reply 16

Have you thought about English Lit and Philosophy at Kent? Could be worth googling the modules: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/20/philosophy#structure

There's a lot of interdisciplinary work between English and Philosophy at Kent, and one of the stengths is we don't do exams in Philosophy (because timed, unseen stressy work is just not conducive to critical thinking?!), so it's a nice place to be.

Also, there is guaranteed accommodation for all incoming students through Clearing.

Let me know if I can answer any questions or help more! English Lit and Philosophy is a great combo. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by LWare
Have you thought about English Lit and Philosophy at Kent? Could be worth googling the modules: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/20/philosophy#structure

There's a lot of interdisciplinary work between English and Philosophy at Kent, and one of the stengths is we don't do exams in Philosophy (because timed, unseen stressy work is just not conducive to critical thinking?!), so it's a nice place to be.

Also, there is guaranteed accommodation for all incoming students through Clearing.

Let me know if I can answer any questions or help more! English Lit and Philosophy is a great combo. :smile:

I've had a look into this and have noted down Kent's clearing number and the English department's number, in case I ring them up to ask for a place through clearing!

Thank you for this - it's good to keep options open.

Bella
Tom, this is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you so much! I'll keep my options open.

You are very welcome. :h:
Okay, thanks again. So, I can call from 7am? And would I be ringing Newcastle's clearing telephone number, not the admissions line??

Hi bellaskp,

I hope results day went well for your yesterday. If you didn't get a chance to ring our clearing lines yesterday, the clearing lines are still open today 8am-5pm. If you have any questions or what to chat to us please do give us a call on 0800 073 5050 we are happy to help :smile:

Good luck!

Louise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending