The Student Room Group

Uni clearing finance advice needed

So I applied to university to do deferred entry (gap year) to start in 2020. Therefore I did not apply for any student finance or accommodation.
I’ve recently decided that I want to start uni this year and do a different course so I am planning on going through clearing (still at the same uni I applied for)

I started my student finance application today and I’m worried that it will take a while for the documents to come and for it all to be sorted and that I might miss my payments if I did start this year. Can someone please advice me what to do? Should I ring up the student finance place tomorrow (on results) to let them know my situation?
Takes at least six weeks, might get lucky. But will probably be piled up more with all the clearing applications. Perhaps take a year out to make sure what course you actually want to do, a sudden change does not hold much confidence.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by random_matt
Takes at least six weeks, might get lucky. But will probably be piled up more with all the clearing applications. Perhaps take a year out to make sure what course you actually want to do, a sudden change does not hold much confidence.

It isn’t really a sudden change it was more of a procrastinated change... I knew I was going to want to start this year but until now completely forgot about the things I would have sorted out had I been starting this year anyway.
If I were to take the gap year (not by choice but because it would be more practical if finance issues arise), is there a way to cancel the student finance application? Or would I still end up needing to pay?
Original post by 000jn
It isn’t really a sudden change it was more of a procrastinated change... I knew I was going to want to start this year but until now completely forgot about the things I would have sorted out had I been starting this year anyway.
If I were to take the gap year (not by choice but because it would be more practical if finance issues arise), is there a way to cancel the student finance application? Or would I still end up needing to pay?

You can cancel on your accounts dashboard. The university will understand, it is normal that some students will have late payments and will likely be fine in waiting. You just need to make sure you will have some money to live on until your loans come through.
Reply 4
Original post by random_matt
You can cancel on your accounts dashboard. The university will understand, it is normal that some students will have late payments and will likely be fine in waiting. You just need to make sure you will have some money to live on until your loans come through.

I have some savings that were ready for my gap year so I know I’ll have enough to hold me over a while, but will I still receive the full payment amount? (Just at a delayed time)?
Thanks for answering btw!
Original post by 000jn
I have some savings that were ready for my gap year so I know I’ll have enough to hold me over a while, but will I still receive the full payment amount? (Just at a delayed time)?
Thanks for answering btw!

You should receive whatever you are entitled to, phone SFE if you are worried.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending