The Student Room Group

Applying fo unis

Hey guys I have been predicted ACC and although these are a good set of average predicted grades is it possible to raise them to A*AA-AAB I really want to apply for some Russell Group Unis to do Law inshallah. I have done some additional work over the summer and I plan to do more once year 13 starts. I do English Literature, History and Psychology btw. If not could I apply to good Russell groups like UCL, KCL, LSE through adjustment???
(edited 4 years ago)
If you want your teachers to up your predicted grades in time for applying this winter you will need to do some proper extra work this summer and take proof to them to show that you want to improve. They won’t want to predict you grades they don’t think you’ll achieve because it reflects badly on them and puts you in a vulnerable position. Adjustment is always an option but not guaranteed. Your best bet is trying to increase your predicted grades through some hard work and applying for unis that match your predicted grades (whatever they end up being) with maybe 1 or 2 applications a little bit higher. You want to get offers so don’t apply for unrealistic courses. And it’s not all about going to a Russel Group uni, yes there is that pull of status and such but you’ll get a law degree wherever you go. You need to find unis that excite you and that won’t just be because it’s Russel Group.
Reply 2
Original post by Biscoffeater
If you want your teachers to up your predicted grades in time for applying this winter you will need to do some proper extra work this summer and take proof to them to show that you want to improve. They won’t want to predict you grades they don’t think you’ll achieve because it reflects badly on them and puts you in a vulnerable position. Adjustment is always an option but not guaranteed. Your best bet is trying to increase your predicted grades through some hard work and applying for unis that match your predicted grades (whatever they end up being) with maybe 1 or 2 applications a little bit higher. You want to get offers so don’t apply for unrealistic courses. And it’s not all about going to a Russel Group uni, yes there is that pull of status and such but you’ll get a law degree wherever you go. You need to find unis that excite you and that won’t just be because it’s Russel Group.

Thanks for this and yes I do realise that Russell Groups aren't the main thing about university but it would be nice to get into one! And I am redoing essays I have gotten low in and such so I hope I could at least get my grades up to A*AB or AAB. Thanks again and if don't mind me asking- are you in year 12/13 or in university?
Original post by zmuraina
Hey guys I have been predicted ACC and although these are a good set of average predicted grades is it possible to raise them to A*AA-AAB I really want to apply for some Russell Group Unis to do Law inshallah. I have done some additional work over the summer and I plan to do more once year 13 starts. I do English Literature, History and Psychology btw. If not could I apply to good Russell groups like UCL, KCL, LSE through adjustment???

You'd really need to discuss with your teachers to see whether they think this is realistic and whether they could suggest some additional support/teaching.

Whether you could apply to these universities really depends whether they have any spaces left at the time, something which is impossible to predict. There is no public listing for adjustment vacancies so you would need to contact the universities directly at the time.
Thanks for this and yes I do realise that Russell Groups aren't the main thing about university but it would be nice to get into one! And I am redoing essays I have gotten low in and such so I hope I could at least get my grades up to A*AB or AAB. Thanks again and if don't mind me asking- are you in year 12/13 or in university?

I’m waiting on A Level results tomorrow so I’ve just been through the whole application process. Hoping to go to Birmingham in September for Theoretical Physics
Reply 5
Oh okay thanks for taking the time for giving me advice in this stressful time mate! I hope you are able to cope with whatever occurs tomorrow! Best of luck!
Reply 6
Original post by Charlotte's Web
You'd really need to discuss with your teachers to see whether they think this is realistic and whether they could suggest some additional support/teaching.

Whether you could apply to these universities really depends whether they have any spaces left at the time, something which is impossible to predict. There is no public listing for adjustment vacancies so you would need to contact the universities directly at the time.

On my letter my head of sixth form informed me it’s possible to raise my grades, in English I save gotten an A* once before so I don’t think it would be hard to convince my teacher. In history I can push my teacher to predict me a B and psychology I’m going to work harder to get to me an A! I have already done some work so I’m confident I can pull it off!
On my letter my head of sixth form informed me it’s possible to raise my grades, in English I save gotten an A* once before so I don’t think it would be hard to convince my teacher. In history I can push my teacher to predict me a B and psychology I’m going to work harder to get to me an A! I have already done some work so I’m confident I can pull it off!

While it seems like a good idea to get the highest predicted grades possible, it's important that you have a discussion with your teachers in terms of what is realistic for you. Universities recognise that predicted grades are sometimes highly inaccurate so they don't place too much emphasis on it.
Reply 8
Original post by Charlotte's Web
While it seems like a good idea to get the highest predicted grades possible, it's important that you have a discussion with your teachers in terms of what is realistic for you. Universities recognise that predicted grades are sometimes highly inaccurate so they don't place too much emphasis on it.

Thank you I feel so much better about what I’m going to do going into year 13 and what not to do. I’m going to definitely discuss with my teachers! And my personal statement is going to be really good aswell! I will update this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending