The Student Room Group

If you mess up A levels, what to do next?

Say for example you miss both your firm and insurance, and are applying for a fairly competitive course (CS, Maths etc.) with fairly high ambitions.
None of the major Russel Group unis offer this competitive course through clearing, since they're all taken. What can you do?
With the new linear A levels, do we resit the entire year? And if so, do the major Russel Group unis accept your resit grades? Since you can't resit specific modules anymore, and can only retake the entire year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Martin2343
Say for example you miss both your firm and insurance, and are applying for a fairly competitive course (CS, Maths etc.) with fairly high ambitions.
None of the major Russel Group unis offer this competitive course through clearing, since they're all taken. What can you do?
With the new linear A levels, do we resit the entire year? And if so, do the major Russel Group unis accept your resit grades? Since you can't resit specific modules anymore, and can only retake the entire year

There are definitely lots of options in clearing for maths and some for CS and there will be more tomorrow- so if you're interested in clearing then you will have options. Have a look on UCAS course search! Maths applications are down this year I believe so there will be some places available.

You would have to retake the whole year. These days, most unis do accept resits. It might make you a bit less competitive as a candidate, but outside of Oxbridge, you'll probably get offers (obviously it does depend on how badly you do in your A-levels this year).

Is there a particular reason you think your A-levels won't be great this year?
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
There are definitely lots of options in clearing for maths and some for CS and there will be more tomorrow- so if you're interested in clearing then you will have options. Have a look on UCAS course search! Maths applications are down this year I believe so there will be some places available.

You would have to retake the whole year. These days, most unis do accept resits. It might make you a bit less competitive as a candidate, but outside of Oxbridge, you'll probably get offers (obviously it does depend on how badly you do in your A-levels this year).

Is there a particular reason you think your A-levels won't be great this year?

I've applied for CS and both my firm and insurance offers are fairly high. My firm requires an A in Further Maths, which I don't think i've met, which is my main concern.
I've looked through clearing courses at some reputable unis, such as Manchester, Warwick etc.. but almost none of them offer a Computer Science clearing course, only Electronics. Regardless, i've made a document for all these options.
I was mainly wondering if unis like Imperial etc.. would consider resit students? Though i'd have to likely get 4 A*'s to even be considered. Also, how would it work? who gives me my predicted grades to apply? Does it mean i take 2 years off?
I've applied for CS and both my firm and insurance offers are fairly high. My firm requires an A in Further Maths, which I don't think i've met, which is my main concern.
I've looked through clearing courses at some reputable unis, such as Manchester, Warwick etc.. but almost none of them offer a Computer Science clearing course, only Electronics. Regardless, i've made a document for all these options.
I was mainly wondering if unis like Imperial etc.. would consider resit students? Though i'd have to likely get 4 A*'s to even be considered. Also, how would it work? who gives me my predicted grades to apply? Does it mean i take 2 years off?

Firstly, do bear in mind that people do get into uni as near misses- so even if your firm wants an A and you get a B, it doesn't 100% mean you won't get in.

More courses do usually become available on results day, so if you do end up in clearing then do check on UCAS again! It's also worth ringing up unis on spec sometimes- if they have a few spaces on a popular course, they may not advertise them on UCAS.

Imperial say here that they only don't accept resits for medicine :
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/administration-and-support-services/registry/academic-governance/public/academic-policy/admissions/Undergraduate-Admissions-Policy.pdf

If you're at a state school, they will often support you through resits and teachers will provide predicted grades. Otherwise, you could get predicted grades from a tutor, or some unis will let you apply without them. It wouldn't have to take 2 years to reapply.
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Firstly, do bear in mind that people do get into uni as near misses- so even if your firm wants an A and you get a B, it doesn't 100% mean you won't get in.

More courses do usually become available on results day, so if you do end up in clearing then do check on UCAS again! It's also worth ringing up unis on spec sometimes- if they have a few spaces on a popular course, they may not advertise them on UCAS.

Imperial say here that they only don't accept resits for medicine :
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/administration-and-support-services/registry/academic-governance/public/academic-policy/admissions/Undergraduate-Admissions-Policy.pdf

If you're at a state school, they will often support you through resits and teachers will provide predicted grades. Otherwise, you could get predicted grades from a tutor, or some unis will let you apply without them. It wouldn't have to take 2 years to reapply.

Oops, just saw this, didn't receive a notification.
I hope the Imperial no resit policy is only specific to medicine? Though, understandably, chances of receiving an offer is low.
Also, wouldn't having a private tutor decide your predicted grades be bias?

Resit as private candidate , most unis dont have an issue with resits although might be a higher offer.
Oops, just saw this, didn't receive a notification.
I hope the Imperial no resit policy is only specific to medicine? Though, understandably, chances of receiving an offer is low.
Also, wouldn't having a private tutor decide your predicted grades be bias?

No worries :h:

The resit policy is specific to medicine, but obviously a resit candidate without extenuating circumstances would usually be less competitive.

Predicted grades are notoriously unreliable anyway, and teachers can be biased too. I've never heard of a uni rejecting a reference/predicted grades because they came from a tutor rather than a school teacher.
Reply 7
@SarcAndSpark
Unfortunately the worst happened, things didn't go as planned on results day ;(
As I feared, I managed to miss both my firm and insurance, acheiving ABBB, whereas I needed AAA minimum. My original offers were A*AA for second year direct entry to Edinburgh CS, and A*A*A for UCL CS. I was predicted A*A*AA. First year entry at Edinburgh is AAA, and was assured that they would come down to first year had I missed my second year offer, though somehow I missed both.
I have a place at clearing for Southampton Electronics with AI, which is close to, but obviously not Computer Science. I've looked through the course modules and am scared of the amount of physics involved (since it was one of my weaker subjects at A-Level).
I really didn't expect to be in this situation, I expected to look back at this post and laugh at my fear, but the worst happened.
My two options are now to either retake A-levels (of which i'd retake Maths, Further Maths, and Computer Science, for which I got ABB respectively). I would have to take the hit on physics with a B, I spent so much time and effort and am really dissapointed with the outcome, and would not be retaking Physics so that I can focus on my 3 main A-levels.
Alternatively, I take the Southampton offer.
Any guidance would be much appreciated, I feel so lonely and isolated, especially since my friends made their firms.
I should also add the fact that my grandmother had died a week prior to exams, my parents had to fly to the country for the rituals, I didn't tell anyone at the time as I felt pathetic for getting marks out of this situation. So there was an extenuating circumstance.
(edited 4 years ago)
@SarcAndSpark
As I feared, I managed to miss both my firm and insurance, acheiving ABBB, whereas I needed AAA minimum. My original offers were A*AA for second year direct entry to Edinburgh CS, and A*A*A for UCL CS. I was predicted A*A*AB. First year entry at Edinburgh is AAA, and was assured that they would come down to first year had I missed my second year offer, though somehow I missed both.
I have a place at clearing for Southampton Electronics with AI, which is close to, but obviously not Computer Science. I've looked through the course modules and am scared of the amount of physics involved (since it was one of my weaker subjects at A-Level).
I really didn't expect to be in this situation, I expected to look back at this post and laugh at my fear, but the worst happened.
My two options are now to either retake A-levels (of which i'd retake Maths, Further Maths, and Computer Science, for which I got ABB respectively). I would have to take the hit on physics with a B, I spent so much time and effort and am really dissapointed with the outcome, and would not be retaking Physics so that I can focus on my 3 main A-levels.
Any guidance would be much appreciated, I feel so lonely and isolated, especially since my friends made their firms.
I should also add the fact that my grandmother had died a week prior to exams, my parents had to fly to the country for the rituals, I didn't tell anyone at the time as I felt pathetic for getting marks out of this situation. So there was an extenuating circumstance.

Hi Martin

Firstly, sorry to hear about your situation, you have obviously been going through a stressful time. In hindsight, it might have been better to have focussed on 3 A levels rather than 4, which I'm only saying to help other people who might read this thread in future. UCL was not really an Insurance choice since there was no scenario where you would end up there, so it sounds like you had your heart set on Edinburgh.

Southampton is a very good uni and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend you accepting their offer if it were for CS, but I understand your reservations about the course they have offered you. Maybe you could phone the department and ask to speak to someone in more depth about the course to see if you could really see yourself enjoying it? If it doesn't sound right for you, you might be better off phoning other unis that do still have vacancies for CS, although I understand that you want to go to a highly respected university. It is not an easy decision but I think if the course at Southampton is not right for you and you don't like the sound of any ot the other unis offering CS degrees in Clearing, your best bet is probably to retake the 3 A levels instead. This would mean you would be able to make 5 fresh applications to CS unis starting next year. The vast majority of unis don't mind resits but UCL do, so don't waste another application on them (not sure about Edinburgh).

A resist year is never ideal but I think even with your achieved grades of ABBB you would get accepted by some excellent unis (Southampton would probably have accepted you onto CS had the course not been full, they often seem to ask for higher grades than they actually accept, and this is not uncommon even amongst RG unis) and if you could raise that up to AAAB then you would have so many more options.

Hopefully you will get a response from others too, but this is my take on your situation, Good Luck with whatever you decide and try not to feel too bad as ABBB are still good results and this is just a blip
Reply 9
Original post by harrysbar
Hi Martin

Firstly, sorry to hear about your situation, you have obviously been going through a stressful time. In hindsight, it might have been better to have focussed on 3 A levels rather than 4, which I'm only saying to help other people who might read this thread in future. UCL was not really an Insurance choice since there was no scenario where you would end up there, so it sounds like you had your heart set on Edinburgh.

Southampton is a very good uni and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend you accepting their offer if it were for CS, but I understand your reservations about the course they have offered you. Maybe you could phone the department and ask to speak to someone in more depth about the course to see if you could really see yourself enjoying it? If it doesn't sound right for you, you might be better off phoning other unis that do still have vacancies for CS, although I understand that you want to go to a highly respected university. It is not an easy decision but I think if the course at Southampton is not right for you and you don't like the sound of any ot the other unis offering CS degrees in Clearing, your best bet is probably to retake the 3 A levels instead. This would mean you would be able to make 5 fresh applications to CS unis starting next year. The vast majority of unis don't mind resits but UCL do, so don't waste another application on them (not sure about Edinburgh).

A resist year is never ideal but I think even with your achieved grades of ABBB you would get accepted by some excellent unis (Southampton would probably have accepted you onto CS had the course not been full, they often seem to ask for higher grades than they actually accept, and this is not uncommon even amongst RG unis) and if you could raise that up to AAAB then you would have so many more options.

Hopefully you will get a response from others too, but this is my take on your situation, Good Luck with whatever you decide and try not to feel too bad as ABBB are still good results and this is just a blip

Thanks for the response
The only reason to put UCL as insurance was because they did not specify Further Maths in their offer, yet Ediburgh specified in the second year entry offer of A in Further Maths.
The most ideal case would be that if I retake and get offers for second year entry at Edinburgh, or get offers from UCL/Imperial (which is unlikely understandably). I have contacted Ediburgh twice about retakes for Computer Science, and this is what I have noted:
First year entry: Would want A*AA on resit (one grade higher on each retaken subject), less competitive.
Second year entry: not sure, specific to every applicant, still possible
However, looking on their website admissions statistics, their offer rate for Informatics in 2018 was around 72%, with 217 offers being made and only 39 acceptances. Presumably due to the fact that Ediburgh is most people's insurance choice? Since AAA is a low offer for CS comparitively. (though I failed to even meet that)
https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/rest_of_uk_admissions_statistics.pdf
It's quite risky to retake, and Southampton would be the easier option, especially since they're well reputed for their electronics department specifically. But I don't know whether the risk would pay off.
I haven't heard back from UCL/Imperial.
Thanks for the response
The only reason to put UCL as insurance was because they did not specify Further Maths in their offer, yet Ediburgh specified in the second year entry offer of A in Further Maths.
The most ideal case would be that if I retake and get offers for second year entry at Edinburgh, or get offers from UCL/Imperial (which is unlikely understandably). I have contacted Ediburgh twice about retakes for Computer Science, and this is what I have noted:
First year entry: Would want A*AA on resit (one grade higher on each retaken subject), less competitive.
However, looking on their website admissions statistics, their offer rate for Informatics in 2018 was around 72%, with 217 offers being made and only 39 acceptances. Presumably due to the fact that Ediburgh is most people's insurance choice? Since AAA is a low offer for CS comparitively. (though I failed to even meet that)
It's quite risky to retake, and Southampton would be the easier option, especially since they're well reputed for their electronics department specifically. But I don't know whether the risk would pay off.

I’ve just finished resits and you’re in a difficult situation so I’ll try and give my advice :smile:

Firstly, considering your predicament, your grades are very good and you should be proud of them. It must have been crushing to not get into Edinburgh but everything happens for a reason, no matter how cliche that sounds.

Judging off the stats, Edinburgh could give you an offer, but it’s a risky choice and you may be looked at less favourably. Imperial I think would be out of the question as it’s so competitive normally, while UCL I imagine would be similar with a CS course.

Honestly, I would be more inclined to take the Southampton offer. It’s a very good uni and if you speak to someone about the course and get inspired about it, there’s more motivation for you.

I just don’t think resits are the best idea because a) you’ve already got a great set of grades and b) in the instance Edinburgh/UCL don’t accept you, that could be pretty demoralising and make it seem like a wasted year.

From experience, resits are difficult and I wouldn’t advise them to someone unless they’re 100% sure and have no alternatives. You’ve got a great offer on the table so take it I say :smile:
Thanks for the response

Ok that makes sense about you insuring UCL now :smile:

It is risky to retake where unis will be making you even higher offers (and not an easy year, as Arisapo says), but what you should do (if retaking) is have some easier choices to unis that don't mind resits and won't raise the grade requirements - I would check out places like Bath (if they don't mind resits), Exeter, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol & Southampton. That way, you can leave the decision as to which uni to firm until the Spring, when you will have a clearer idea of how the resits are going.

But if you can find out more about the course you have been offered at Southampton and if you think it sounds appealing enough, there is nothing wrong with accepting that option either. You may even be able to transfer courses once you start there, but they probably won't guarantee that.

It's a hard choice, sorry there's no easy answer
Original post by Arisapo
I’ve just finished resits and you’re in a difficult situation so I’ll try and give my advice :smile:

Firstly, considering your predicament, your grades are very good and you should be proud of them. It must have been crushing to not get into Edinburgh but everything happens for a reason, no matter how cliche that sounds.

Judging off the stats, Edinburgh could give you an offer, but it’s a risky choice and you may be looked at less favourably. Imperial I think would be out of the question as it’s so competitive normally, while UCL I imagine would be similar with a CS course.

Honestly, I would be more inclined to take the Southampton offer. It’s a very good uni and if you speak to someone about the course and get inspired about it, there’s more motivation for you.

I just don’t think resits are the best idea because a) you’ve already got a great set of grades and b) in the instance Edinburgh/UCL don’t accept you, that could be pretty demoralising and make it seem like a wasted year.

From experience, resits are difficult and I wouldn’t advise them to someone unless they’re 100% sure and have no alternatives. You’ve got a great offer on the table so take it I say :smile:

I must say, as much as my ego was hurt with these results and the spur I have to improve them, Southampton is probably the safest option as you say.
Even if I were to get a first year offer for Ediburgh, the course is 4 years long for a bachelors and I would simply not consider that worthwhile for the 2 extra years i'd spend. So i'd be dependent on getting the second year entry offer, which is presumably tougher with these circumstances.
I completely agree that I would be demoralised further by not getting Edinburgh/UCL offers this time round.
Only thing stopping me from Southampton is having to stick with these A-levels, and them acting as a barrier in the future (for internships etc.. maybe?). I appreciate Southampton is really good for electronics, on par with UCL, and I got lucky to get it through clearing.
I must say, as much as my ego was hurt with these results and the spur I have to improve them, Southampton is probably the safest option as you say.
Even if I were to get a first year offer for Ediburgh, the course is 4 years long for a bachelors and I would simply not consider that worthwhile for the 2 extra years i'd spend. So i'd be dependent on getting the second year entry offer, which is presumably tougher with these circumstances.
I completely agree that I would be demoralised further by not getting Edinburgh/UCL offers this time round.
Only thing stopping me from Southampton is having to stick with these A-levels, and them acting as a barrier in the future (for internships etc.. maybe?). I appreciate Southampton is really good for electronics, on par with UCL, and I got lucky to get it through clearing.

Honestly, I think you’re overthinking it slightly.

Your degree grades will matter far more than your A-Levels will; it’s not even like your grades are bad either and ABBB would still be competitive if you get a first or 2:1.

And to be honest, resits aren’t necessarily going to be looked on favourably either if you’re worried about being competitive as they’d wonder why it took you 3 years compared to people taking 2.

Take the Southampton offer and smash your degree :smile:
Original post by Arisapo
Honestly, I think you’re overthinking it slightly.

Your degree grades will matter far more than your A-Levels will; it’s not even like your grades are bad either and ABBB would still be competitive if you get a first or 2:1.

And to be honest, resits aren’t necessarily going to be looked on favourably either if you’re worried about being competitive as they’d wonder why it took you 3 years compared to people taking 2.

Take the Southampton offer and smash your degree :smile:

That's true. I guess you only have one real shot at it.
Yeah, i'd definitely be aiming for a first class, taking this as a huge life lesson.
Thank you, that makes me lean more towards Southampton for sure, how did your retakes go btw?

@harrybear
It would be slightly dissapointing to end up back at Southampton after putting in effort to retake, but understandably I would have to put unis as such in my top 5. It would be nice if you could tell me whether ABBB would hold me back for future, as mentioned above. If not, seems as though I got lucky with Southampton, and will have to push through to get my first class.
@harrybear
It would be slightly dissapointing to end up back at Southampton after putting in effort to retake, but understandably I would have to put unis as such in my top 5. It would be nice if you could tell me whether ABBB would hold me back for future, as mentioned above. If not, seems as though I got lucky with Southampton, and will have to push through to get my first class.

Well Southampton was just an example of a uni that doesn't mind resits and it would be for CS this time.

I don't think ABBB would hold you back, that is an impressive set of grades by most people's standards, achieved at first sitting. All that bothers me is that they offered you a different course, and if you're ok with that, then I don't see a problem.
Original post by harrysbar
Well Southampton was just an example of a uni that doesn't mind resits and it would be for CS this time.

I don't think ABBB would hold you back, that is an impressive set of grades by most people's standards, achieved at first sitting. All that bothers me is that they offered you a different course, and if you're ok with that, then I don't see a problem.

I'm dissapointed as I was predicted A*A*AB, and was far off from those predictions.
I'm not too sure about the course either, the electronics and computer science department at Southampton are the same. Just worried if i'd be able to cope up with the physics in electronics
Bit of an update:

I applied for my special consideration and remarking, and have managed to get my grades up to A*ABB in Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics respectively

I'm so gutted because I was 2 marks off both CS and Physics from an A. My school appealed for the CS coursework to be remoderated, as the whole school's coursework marks were moderated down. The result of this remoderation will be after the university deadline (30th August), so in 2 days.

I contacted Edinburgh, explaning all my circumstances yet they still rejected me given I did not achieve A*AA. I asked about first year entry for AAA, and they still rejected. I was really hoping they would be more lenient.

I'm happy on one hand to get my grades up but also sad that I once again had a bit of hope and missed out narrowly.

The only real difference these new grades means is that if I choose to retake, I could perhaps only retake one subject instead of three. I'm not sure if this changes your suggestions @harrysbar @Arisapo
Though I have read that the top unis require you to sit all three subjects in one sitting
(edited 4 years ago)
@SarcAndSpark
As I feared, I managed to miss both my firm and insurance, acheiving ABBB, whereas I needed AAA minimum. My original offers were A*AA for second year direct entry to Edinburgh CS, and A*A*A for UCL CS. I was predicted A*A*AB. First year entry at Edinburgh is AAA, and was assured that they would come down to first year had I missed my second year offer, though somehow I missed both.

Hey, sorry for not getting back to you on this sooner.

My personal opinion is that it's not a great idea to go to uni for a course you're not 100% sure on. If you're happy to retake I honestly do think that is a good option and it sounds like there are reasons you didn't do quite as well as hoped.

I think taking the hit on physics will be fine - doing 4 A-levels is unusual these days anyway and if you expect to get AAAB that would be great for a lot of unis.

How long do you have to decide about the Southampton offer?

I'm sorry this has happened and good luck for the future.
Have you considered a year out and applying for computer science without retaking A levels? You should have some really good options and benefit from a year to do other things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending