The Student Room Group

Change

My son has a conditional offer for graduation in Chemistry. If his grdades are good, he may wish to change over to Chemical Engineering instead. His A level subjects are Chemistry , Biology and Literature. Yes he dod not have maths at A level, but I think the same University has a foundation year followed by graduating in Chemical engineering ( 3 years ). Is that the right path
It’s a possible path, obviously engineering involves quite a bit of maths, however for example universities such as the university of Lincoln do foundation science courses, which then would allow you to move to an engineering degree. However obviously it would cost another years worth of finance. The other option would be to wait a year to go to university and take an A level maths course.
Original post by SAkap
My son has a conditional offer for graduation in Chemistry. If his grdades are good, he may wish to change over to Chemical Engineering instead. His A level subjects are Chemistry , Biology and Literature. Yes he dod not have maths at A level, but I think the same University has a foundation year followed by graduating in Chemical engineering ( 3 years ). Is that the right path

What does your son think he would get from a chemical engineering degree that he would not get from a chemistry degree?

A foundation year can be quite an expensive option- it uses up a year of student finance and means your son wouldn't get finance if he needed to resit a year. He'd also obviously have all the additional expense of being at uni for another year.

If he does go for a foundation year he needs to research his options carefully- not all foundation years automatically guarantee progression onto the undergrad course, and students can end up left in the lurch.

Personally, if he's got good A-levels grades, I'm not sure going for a foundation year at this stage would be a good choice.
Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark
What does your son think he would get from a chemical engineering degree that he would not get from a chemistry degree?

A foundation year can be quite an expensive option- it uses up a year of student finance and means your son wouldn't get finance if he needed to resit a year. He'd also obviously have all the additional expense of being at uni for another year.

If he does go for a foundation year he needs to research his options carefully- not all foundation years automatically guarantee progression onto the undergrad course, and students can end up left in the lurch.

Personally, if he's got good A-levels grades, I'm not sure going for a foundation year at this stage would be a good choice.

Firstly thanks for your quick response. the answer to your question :-I suppose to land him a job quicker as a Chemical Engineer, compared to being a Chemistry graduate
Original post by SAkap
Firstly thanks for your quick response. the answer to your question :-I suppose to land him a job quicker as a Chemical Engineer, compared to being a Chemistry graduate

Is that 100% what he wants to do? There are loads of great jobs out there open to chemistry graduates, and if he does decide to become an engineer, then I'm sure he'd be able to do a masters- which would be the same amount of time as an undergrad course + foundation year BUT he'd come out more highly qualified.

Personally, I think if he has a firm choice he is happy with, swapping it for a foundation year wouldn't be a smart move. He also does risk not ending up with a place that he wants at all- have you considered this risk?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending