The Student Room Group

Really worried about getting fired - please help :(

Hi

Messed up at work, a customer came in and said a part of his product that had been delivered was missing.

I gave him the part from another identical product but the one I took it from is due to be delivered on Monday and the spare part hasn't come in time!

What do I do? Will I get fired?

Scroll to see replies

Just tell the manager you made a mistake.

You are human, humans make mistakes !

If they don’t understand that, they are in the wrong.
Reply 2
Original post by yousman3357
Just tell the manager you made a mistake.

You are human, humans make mistakes !

If they don’t understand that, they are in the wrong.

Thats true, do you think I should call the customer or wait for them to complain?
Original post by Anonymous
Thats true, do you think I should call the customer or wait for them to complain?

You could call / email them to let them know their order will come in 2 different packages due to be dispatched at different times

Call them.

Tell the manager first
Hi

Messed up at work, a customer came in and said a part of his product that had been delivered was missing.

I gave him the part from another identical product but the one I took it from is due to be delivered on Monday and the spare part hasn't come in time!

I think that was quite sensible to sort the other customer out quickly - it's not Monday yet so might the part still arrive? I would tell your boss what you did so you doesn't upset a customer.
Reply 6
Call them.

Tell the manager first

Okay, I will do this at work later, hopefully the part arrives
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
I think that was quite sensible to sort the other customer out quickly - it's not Monday yet so might the part still arrive? I would tell your boss what you did so you doesn't upset a customer.

Thats what I was thinking, the other customer would have been annoyed if he could have had the part there and then but we didn't give it to him.
Reply 8
Call them.

Tell the manager first

What if the customer shouts at me?

Well, it’s a “what if” question. He/she may not

Fist thing I would suggest anyone learning when in retail or dealing with customers in general is to learn to apologise whether it's your fault or not. My sales manager has built a 30 year career on groveling.
Well, it’s a “what if” question. He/she may not

True but I'm panicking over it
Original post by Guru Jason
Fist thing I would suggest anyone learning when in retail or dealing with customers in general is to learn to apologise whether it's your fault or not. My sales manager has built a 30 year career on groveling.

I will apologise even if she doesn't have a problem :/
I will apologise even if she doesn't have a problem :/

If she shouts then apologise. You may or may not have done something wrong but if the customer feels you are doing something about it then ultimately you will come out ahead.
Original post by Guru Jason
If she shouts then apologise. You may or may not have done something wrong but if the customer feels you are doing something about it then ultimately you will come out ahead.

Alright, thanks for the advice
Haha I think it's more the thought of what might happen that is worrying me
True, that makes me feel better. Shouldn't be wasting my time worrying about this after work haha.

Funny story though! Thanks for your reply
Just thought I'd update everyone! Went into work and the spare part had arrived! All is good.
Hi

Moved to the Careers and Job section :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending