The Student Room Group

Brit school -> architecture?

Hi! I have recently finished my GCSEs and have now been accepted onto the visual art strand at the Brit school but am unsure whether I would be able to use the qualification (UAL Level 3 Art and Design Extended Diploma, as well as an A Level in Mathematics for the side subject) to go into architecture afterwards, at various unis, possibly Russel group...? 😬😬😬 Thanks anyone if you can help. 😁😁 Would a more A-level route be preferable?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Joseph654982
Hi! I have recently finished my GCSEs and have now been accepted onto the visual art strand at the Brit school but am unsure whether I would be able to use the qualification (UAL Level 3 Art and Design Extended Diploma, as well as an A Level in Mathematics for the side subject) to go into architecture afterwards, at various unis, possibly Russel group...? 😬😬😬 Thanks anyone if you can help. 😁😁 Would a more A-level route be preferable?

An extended diploma plus A level maths would be accepted by pretty much all architecture schools.

The only thing to watch for is that the UAL extended diploma only comes with D/M/P marks which ranges from 168 tariff points for a D to 72 for a P so the cut off for dropping a grade is severe.
Original post by PQ
An extended diploma plus A level maths would be accepted by pretty much all architecture schools.

The only thing to watch for is that the UAL extended diploma only comes with D/M/P marks which ranges from 168 tariff points for a D to 72 for a P so the cut off for dropping a grade is severe.

Hi! When you say 'pretty much' all architecture schools, are you thinking of any particular unis which might not accept these qualifications..? Thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by Joseph654982
Hi! When you say 'pretty much' all architecture schools, are you thinking of any particular unis which might not accept these qualifications..? Thank you so much! :smile:

If you were aiming at a very engineering-y course where they prefer physics and maths (strathclyde iirr and bath and manchester might be worth checking with first as they've had preferences for certain A levels in the past) then that might make you less likely to get an offer, and the very academic courses (I'm thinking mainly Cambridge here tbh) might just not recognise the UAL Extended diploma as a suitable qualification (because they don't deal with them often enough to know what it involves! - cambridge explicitly rule out applications with BTECs and vocational qualifications except as an addition to 2 or 3 normal A levels https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements ).

But courses like Bartlett at UCL explicitly say that they take the BTEC extended diploma (and so will certainly accept the UAL Extended Diploma plus maths A level). Any course taught somewhere with an art school will be familiar and welcoming of the UAL ED.
Original post by PQ
If you were aiming at a very engineering-y course where they prefer physics and maths (strathclyde iirr and bath and manchester might be worth checking with first as they've had preferences for certain A levels in the past) then that might make you less likely to get an offer, and the very academic courses (I'm thinking mainly Cambridge here tbh) might just not recognise the UAL Extended diploma as a suitable qualification (because they don't deal with them often enough to know what it involves! - cambridge explicitly rule out applications with BTECs and vocational qualifications except as an addition to 2 or 3 normal A levels https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements ).

But courses like Bartlett at UCL explicitly say that they take the BTEC extended diploma (and so will certainly accept the UAL Extended Diploma plus maths A level). Any course taught somewhere with an art school will be familiar and welcoming of the UAL ED.

Thank you! I will defenitely consider your advice! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest