The Student Room Group

Will my teachers give me a good reference if i have got bad a level grades

Long story short the last two years of alevels have been the worst of my life i was dealing with some personal issues which resulted in me only being able to do 2 a levels instead of 3 which was heartbreaking because i really wanted to go into a a decent uni. My teachers also did not like me much and honestly were quite discouraging and degrading towards me throughout the two years of me being there. My grades did suffer massively but im just starting my gap year and want to use this time to change myself and my grades and retake my alevels which i know are going to be bad.
**My question is will my teachers write me a decent reference if my alevel grades are bad**
How do i change their mind.
Any help would really be appreciated .
Original post by amber2106
Long story short the last two years of alevels have been the worst of my life i was dealing with some personal issues which resulted in me only being able to do 2 a levels instead of 3 which was heartbreaking because i really wanted to go into a a decent uni. My teachers also did not like me much and honestly were quite discouraging and degrading towards me throughout the two years of me being there. My grades did suffer massively but im just starting my gap year and want to use this time to change myself and my grades and retake my alevels which i know are going to be bad.
**My question is will my teachers write me a decent reference if my alevel grades are bad**

Good grades do not equal a good reference (i.e someone could be gifted in a subject but not work hard or have a good attitude to studying). Likewise, bad grades does not equal a bad reference, because you could work hard and have a good attitude to learning but be having a hard time and/or have difficulties with retaining information etc, or even not be good at exams but good at course work etc.

So in short, no they are unlikely to give you a bad reference. Most teachers and schools want pupils to do well and get good uni places/jobs, as it looks good on them. I hope this may be slightly reassuring?
I don't think I've ever seen a UCAS reference that was truly bad. Just that some are more glowing than others :tongue:

Most of the time university courses don't heavily use references into account when deciding offers, anyway.
Original post by amber2106

Will try and answer your question via Facebook Live tonight at 7.

https://www.facebook.com/TheStudentRoom/
Original post by The Learn Ranger
Will try and answer your question via Facebook Live tonight at 7.

https://www.facebook.com/TheStudentRoom/

Yeah, Facebook is a much better platform for this type of thing :ninja:
I don't even think your teachers can give you a bad reference for UCAS? We were told that your teachers can't give you a bad reference, they can avoid mentioning certain things you suck at (like say work ethic/attendance/punctuality) but they cannot actively write you a negative reference
Original post by angelinahx
I don't even think your teachers can give you a bad reference for UCAS? We were told that your teachers can't give you a bad reference, they can avoid mentioning certain things you suck at (like say work ethic/attendance/punctuality) but they cannot actively write you a negative reference

Common misconception about references in general, not just UCAS ones. They can write bad references but they have to be truthful/justified.

In practice, you don't see explicitly bad references being written. Instead they can 'damn you with faint praise'.

Quick Reply

Latest