The Student Room Group

Noob questions about road rules (Motorbike)

Hey guys
I went out to do my CBT today to get on a motorbike. I did everything to a good standard in the off road section but when we went out for our road ride I kind of froze up. I've been doing a lot of research on the theory and the practical side of the bike but I never really did any studying on basic road rules. As a result, they booked me for further training on Wednesday where I can go and try again and get some more training.

I had a couple of noob questions that I was struggling on in the road ride. Sorry if they are very basic questions but getting an explanation from someone will make it easier for me and hopefully get me my CBT.

1. We rode on a lot of residential areas, the roads in these areas weren't separated by white lines but were just a road with cars parked on the sides of the road. I was told I should ride in the centre of the available space, does this mean I should imagine the white lines and ride in the centre of my "Lane" or just ride in the centre of the full road. If a car comes up and there is room for me to pass it but it would be tight, would it be better to stop or slow down and pull into the side and let the car through or just go through as usual, which are the instructors looking for.

2. I'm confused about when I should be checking my mirrors and doing lifesavers. We learnt OSM (Observation, signal, maneuver), do I check my mirrors first, do a lifesaver if I am changing lanes or turning a corner, signal then do the maneuver in that order?

3. A question about lifesavers, I've always thought a lifesaver was a look over your left or right shoulder but when I watch videos of people doing them, they literally just move their head 90 degrees left or right, I thought the purpose of a lifesaver was to see what's behind you and not what's to the side? Or am I completely wrong here?

4. When we were riding in a lane, I genuinely thought I was bang on in the middle but according to the instructor, I was always a bit too to the left or right, is there a way to ensure that I am actually smack in the centre?

5. I'm having a bit of trouble understanding right of way. Something else that I did was when we were riding on a straight road, I slowed down a bit when we reached a side road to see if any cars were coming out so I can stop. Is that something I'm not meant to do? Also should I just assume when I get to any junction and another car opposite me is waiting to pull out they have the right of way to be safe?

Thanks so much for the help guys, like I said the instructors told me that my bike skills were good but my road skills were a bit poor so they booked me in for another half day. So if anyone has any tips or anything else I would really appreciate it cause my wallet cannot afford another session.

Thanks!
Reply 1
I drive a car not a bike, but most should be the same...

1) You don't want to be in the center of the road (especially being a bike oncoming traffic could be an issue), but then you also don't want to be too close to the parked cars... when passing parked cars you want to be about a foot wider than where the door would open to (should be near the center of the road, but still on your side as long as they're parked on the curb). As for stopping for a car, if it's their right of way (I'll get onto this in a min) then deffo stop if it's tight. If it's your right of way, you'll have to judge the situation - if they're not gonna stop/aren't driving safely then you should stop for them to pass.

2) You should be glancing in your mirrors every 15/20 seconds sou you're always aware what's around you (this will also make lifesavers easier as you'll have a good idea of what's there). OSM is the general order, but you should be using mirrors throughout a manoeuvre and after it too.

3) You want to see your blind spot (just Infront of where your mirrors clearly show and behind your usual line of sight. this should be a few metres to the side, about level with your back wheel.

4) Practice.

5) Ok. Basically, if there is something in your way in your side of the road, it's NOT your right if way. If you have to do something other than drive in a straight line, it's NOT your right of way. If the obstruction is on the other side of the road effecting the other lane, then it IS your right of way (although always be aware some people don't know this and will drive anything regardless, so always be careful...). I regards to junctions, there are a lot of variables. always try to make eye contact with someone if you're both waiting opposite a crossroads, and hand signal for them to go (or they should do this for you). This isn't in the highway code, but it's generally what people do...If you're driving down a straight road and pass a side road, you shouldn't slow down as noone should pull out without checking first, but still be aware that someone might.

Hope this helps... 😁
Original post by legendalive
Hey guys
I went out to do my CBT today to get on a motorbike. I did everything to a good standard in the off road section but when we went out for our road ride I kind of froze up. I've been doing a lot of research on the theory and the practical side of the bike but I never really did any studying on basic road rules. As a result, they booked me for further training on Wednesday where I can go and try again and get some more training.

I had a couple of noob questions that I was struggling on in the road ride. Sorry if they are very basic questions but getting an explanation from someone will make it easier for me and hopefully get me my CBT.

1. We rode on a lot of residential areas, the roads in these areas weren't separated by white lines but were just a road with cars parked on the sides of the road. I was told I should ride in the centre of the available space, does this mean I should imagine the white lines and ride in the centre of my "Lane" or just ride in the centre of the full road. If a car comes up and there is room for me to pass it but it would be tight, would it be better to stop or slow down and pull into the side and let the car through or just go through as usual, which are the instructors looking for.

2. I'm confused about when I should be checking my mirrors and doing lifesavers. We learnt OSM (Observation, signal, maneuver), do I check my mirrors first, do a lifesaver if I am changing lanes or turning a corner, signal then do the maneuver in that order?

3. A question about lifesavers, I've always thought a lifesaver was a look over your left or right shoulder but when I watch videos of people doing them, they literally just move their head 90 degrees left or right, I thought the purpose of a lifesaver was to see what's behind you and not what's to the side? Or am I completely wrong here?

4. When we were riding in a lane, I genuinely thought I was bang on in the middle but according to the instructor, I was always a bit too to the left or right, is there a way to ensure that I am actually smack in the centre?

5. I'm having a bit of trouble understanding right of way. Something else that I did was when we were riding on a straight road, I slowed down a bit when we reached a side road to see if any cars were coming out so I can stop. Is that something I'm not meant to do? Also should I just assume when I get to any junction and another car opposite me is waiting to pull out they have the right of way to be safe?

Thanks so much for the help guys, like I said the instructors told me that my bike skills were good but my road skills were a bit poor so they booked me in for another half day. So if anyone has any tips or anything else I would really appreciate it cause my wallet cannot afford another session.

Thanks!

Ride in your lane if there's space for 2 vehicles, ride in the middle if there isn't space for 2 vehicles. You'll just have to work out who gives way based on where you can pull in, tbh I'd always give way to a bike if it's ambiguous as it's easier for me to stop and start. But if one side of the road is clear that side has right of way.

Don't slow as you approach a side road, it could confuse drivers into thinking you are stopping or allowing them out when you're not. Just be mindful and ready to brake if needed.
Reply 3
Original post by Abi)(M

1) You don't want to be in the center of the road (especially being a bike oncoming traffic could be an issue), but then you also don't want to be too close to the parked cars... when passing parked cars you want to be about a foot wider than where the door would open to (should be near the center of the road, but still on your side as long as they're parked on the curb). As for stopping for a car, if it's their right of way (I'll get onto this in a min) then deffo stop if it's tight. If it's your right of way, you'll have to judge the situation - if they're not gonna stop/aren't driving safely then you should stop for them to pass.

2) You should be glancing in your mirrors every 15/20 seconds sou you're always aware what's around you (this will also make lifesavers easier as you'll have a good idea of what's there). OSM is the general order, but you should be using mirrors throughout a manoeuvre and after it too.

3) You want to see your blind spot (just Infront of where your mirrors clearly show and behind your usual line of sight. this should be a few metres to the side, about level with your back wheel.

4) Practice.

5) Ok. Basically, if there is something in your way in your side of the road, it's NOT your right if way. If you have to do something other than drive in a straight line, it's NOT your right of way. If the obstruction is on the other side of the road effecting the other lane, then it IS your right of way (although always be aware some people don't know this and will drive anything regardless, so always be careful...). I regards to junctions, there are a lot of variables. always try to make eye contact with someone if you're both waiting opposite a crossroads, and hand signal for them to go (or they should do this for you). This isn't in the highway code, but it's generally what people do...If you're driving down a straight road and pass a side road, you shouldn't slow down as noone should pull out without checking first, but still be aware that someone might.

Hope this helps... 😁

Hey man, thanks a lot for this, just took my second day and got my CBT. Your tips defo helped me out a ton. Thanks a lot!
Reply 4
Original post by doodle_333
Ride in your lane if there's space for 2 vehicles, ride in the middle if there isn't space for 2 vehicles. You'll just have to work out who gives way based on where you can pull in, tbh I'd always give way to a bike if it's ambiguous as it's easier for me to stop and start. But if one side of the road is clear that side has right of way.

Don't slow as you approach a side road, it could confuse drivers into thinking you are stopping or allowing them out when you're not. Just be mindful and ready to brake if needed.

Thanks for this man, defo helped me out a ton!
Reply 5
Original post by legendalive
Hey man, thanks a lot for this, just took my second day and got my CBT. Your tips defo helped me out a ton. Thanks a lot!

No problem 😊

Quick Reply

Latest