The Student Room Group

Uni of manchester good or not?

I was studying engineering at a semi target (Bristol) and have always thought of finance/middle and back office IB jobs as an alternative if I don't decide to pursue an engineer career. Long story short I got pretty depressed at Bristol and decided to switch unis, I am going to either switch to uni of leeds or Manchester, however I have realised that Leeds is definitely a non-target and Manchester it seems is either a semi-target or a non target (seen different things). My question is for a MO or BO role or a good paying finance job (that pays higher than engineering but not as high as FO IB and has more regular work hours) would it be better to go to manchester than leeds or would it not matter? Thanks
It's complete **** mate
Original post by angelinahx
It's complete **** mate

Care to elaborate?
I got my degree from the University of Manchester so may be slightly biased but..Although I wasn't satisfied with every single aspect of the university and how they did things, overall I really enjoyed my time there and I'd recommend it as a great place to study!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ChemicalEng
I got my degree from the University of Manchester and although I wasn't satisfied with every single aspect of the university and how they did things, overall I really enjoyed my time there and I'd recommend it as a great place to study!

i'm applying to manchester next year, how come you weren't too satisfied? it seemed great when i visited it.
Original post by john_iqbal786
Care to elaborate?

i- i wasn't being srs. it's literally top 30 in the world
I got my degree from the University of Manchester so may be slightly biased but..Although I wasn't satisfied with every single aspect of the university and how they did things, overall I really enjoyed my time there and I'd recommend it as a great place to study!

What were you not satisfied with? Was it the university as a whole or just your department? Also, (I'm assuming you studied chem eng from your name) how did you feel about the course being nearly entirely assessed by exams worth the majority of their units, with coursework/labs not being worth as much. Did you find this to be harder to do well in? and do you think you would have done better if you were assessed more via coursework and labs and had less exams (I'm asking this because the two unis I'm looking at assess my engineering course very differently). Do you think its a big factor to take in when choosing uni? Also, did you feel like there was much of a community at the uni? (sorry for all these questions)
i- i wasn't being srs. it's literally top 30 in the world

Ah, sorry I took it literally, I'm on the verge of choosing either one through clearing lol and trying to get as much info as I can to make a decision
i'm applying to manchester next year, how come you weren't too satisfied? it seemed great when i visited it.

I would say it was due to the department I was in and their sometimes very poor organisational skills! I think that because the engineering department take on so many students, they often struggle to manage them and lots of mistakes get made. Also resources are occasionally lacking because they don't cater for all of us despite knowing the number in each cohort. I've needed to contact the same person many times to get an issue sorted, particularly when it has been really important i.e. exam results. But perhaps that's just because I've been unlucky!
What were you not satisfied with? Was it the university as a whole or just your department? Also, (I'm assuming you studied chem eng from your name) how did you feel about the course being nearly entirely assessed by exams worth the majority of their units, with coursework/labs not being worth as much. Did you find this to be harder to do well in? and do you think you would have done better if you were assessed more via coursework and labs and had less exams (I'm asking this because the two unis I'm looking at assess my engineering course very differently). Do you think its a big factor to take in when choosing uni? Also, did you feel like there was much of a community at the uni? (sorry for all these questions)

The university as a whole was great, I would say I was mainly disappointed with the way in which my department dealt with things. You say that ChemEng at Manchester is almost entirely assessed by exams but I don't feel that it was? I had many modules all the way through to my fourth year that were reasonably coursework heavy (10-40%) and I liked it that way. Although saying that, I'd say it's much harder to achieve the highest of grades through coursework because lecturers use students' work for comparison and there are always students that spend millions of hours on their work. My experience is that it's much easier to achieve the best marks on exam papers which pulled my grades up. Honestly I think that all the content is covered regardless of which uni you've studied it at so personally that wasn't a major factor for me. There was definitely a community spirit on my course and I'm sure all my coursemates would agree.
The university as a whole was great, I would say I was mainly disappointed with the way in which my department dealt with things. You say that ChemEng at Manchester is almost entirely assessed by exams but I don't feel that it was? I had many modules all the way through to my fourth year that were reasonably coursework heavy (10-40%) and I liked it that way. Although saying that, I'd say it's much harder to achieve the highest of grades through coursework because lecturers use students' work for comparison and there are always students that spend millions of hours on their work. My experience is that it's much easier to achieve the best marks on exam papers which pulled my grades up. Honestly I think that all the content is covered regardless of which uni you've studied it at so personally that wasn't a major factor for me. There was definitely a community spirit on my course and I'm sure all my coursemates would agree.

Sorry I should've been clearer, from the modues I had seen, the exam counted for at least 80%/90%. The reason I'm asking this is because the other uni I'm looking at has some modules entirely coursework based and some that are 60%coursework based (labs and assignments like project work). Some also 4 in semester throughout the year which count for a portion of the module each and I believe this would be easier than 1 large exam tested on everything worth most of the module. What do you think about this? Would you say tests throughout the year would be better (still have jan and june exams, just not as many). I personally have applied to the mechatronics course, which is just electrical first year so I could switch. This course structure also seems similar to yours. If you don't mind me asking, what grade did you receive? and how much did you have to work for it? Also, how are you finding looking for jobs not that you have graduated, has the course set you up nicely?
Sorry I should've been clearer, from the modues I had seen, the exam counted for at least 80%/90%. The reason I'm asking this is because the other uni I'm looking at has some modules entirely coursework based and some that are 60%coursework based (labs and assignments like project work). Some also 4 in semester throughout the year which count for a portion of the module each and I believe this would be easier than 1 large exam tested on everything worth most of the module. What do you think about this? Would you say tests throughout the year would be better (still have jan and june exams, just not as many). I personally have applied to the mechatronics course, which is just electrical first year so I could switch. This course structure also seems similar to yours. If you don't mind me asking, what grade did you receive? and how much did you have to work for it? Also, how are you finding looking for jobs not that you have graduated, has the course set you up nicely?

I would say that unless you have a strong preference for being assessed in a particular type of way, it ultimately does not matter. Personally, I find it easier to score higher grades on exams in comparison to coursework so I would prefer modules that have 90% exams and 10% coursework. Sometimes coursework boosted my marks but sometimes it did the exact opposite.

I received a First overall but didn't achieve a first consistently each year over the four years. I worked reasonably hard for it but I also massively enjoyed my time at uni and study was not the only thing I did. I found a graduate job within a few months of graduating in my field of study. I could've and should've found one earlier but I didn't take the time to do enough applications in my final year. The course has set me up nicely and I've found the ideal graduate job. Best of luck with uni!
I would say that unless you have a strong preference for being assessed in a particular type of way, it ultimately does not matter. Personally, I find it easier to score higher grades on exams in comparison to coursework so I would prefer modules that have 90% exams and 10% coursework. Sometimes coursework boosted my marks but sometimes it did the exact opposite.

I received a First overall but didn't achieve a first consistently each year over the four years. I worked reasonably hard for it but I also massively enjoyed my time at uni and study was not the only thing I did. I found a graduate job within a few months of graduating in my field of study. I could've and should've found one earlier but I didn't take the time to do enough applications in my final year. The course has set me up nicely and I've found the ideal graduate job. Best of luck with uni!

Thank you very much, that's put more confidence into me for the course. One last question, do you know of anyone on your course or just in the engineering department in general who's gotten internships or a job at an investment bank after graduating (doesn't have to be a role in the front office, I'm looking for middle office and tech ) and did you ever consider one of these roles?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending