The Student Room Group

Acne!

I’m 16 and these past few years my acne has been getting worse. It got better for about a week now it’s back on the sides of my face and my neck. I’ve been to the doctors and they’ve given me creams antibiotics everything but nothing seemed to work. I drink tonnes of water and my diet isn’t bad. I don’t eat too much sugary things and I only drink orange juice or water. I’ve ran out of options and I don’t know what to do now. If anyone has tried anything that works please let me know.

Scroll to see replies

Sounds hormonal. Try the pill
If you've tried a variety of different things then you could discuss with your GP the possibility of a dermatologist referral for roaccutane. Was the only thing that cleared my skin up.
Stop wearing makeup if you do
Reply 4
Going on the pill was the only thing that helped me
Original post by HumbleBee_x

This is bad advice. Makeup does nothing to contribute to acne if there is underlying hormonal or genetic reasons. OP wear as much makeup as you want
Original post by Anonymous
This is bad advice. Makeup does nothing to contribute to acne if there is underlying hormonal or genetic reasons. OP wear as much makeup as you want

It doesn't cause it, but It definitely worsens it. OP let your skin breathe from time to time!
Reply 7
Original post by olivia.francesca
Sounds hormonal. Try the pill

I’ve heard about it helping. Shall I ask the GP about it or just start using it without asking?
Reply 8
Original post by Precious Illusions
If you've tried a variety of different things then you could discuss with your GP the possibility of a dermatologist referral for roaccutane. Was the only thing that cleared my skin up.

I’ll ask them and see what they say. My GP rarely do referrals which is annoying but I’ll ask
Original post by Queen_1
I’ve heard about it helping. Shall I ask the GP about it or just start using it without asking?

Ask the gp because there is different versions of the pill and some help with acne more than others
Reply 10

I don’t really put makeup on my face other than concealer and it still gets worse. 😭
Reply 11
Original post by olivia.francesca
Ask the gp because there is different versions of the pill and some help with acne more than others

Ok thank youuuu ❤️
Original post by Queen_1
I don’t really put makeup on my face other than concealer and it still gets worse. 😭

concealer is fine. But I think BB/CC cream is better use one for acne prone skin.
Original post by Queen_1
I’m 16 and these past few years my acne has been getting worse. It got better for about a week now it’s back on the sides of my face and my neck. I’ve been to the doctors and they’ve given me creams antibiotics everything but nothing seemed to work. I drink tonnes of water and my diet isn’t bad. I don’t eat too much sugary things and I only drink orange juice or water. I’ve ran out of options and I don’t know what to do now. If anyone has tried anything that works please let me know.

hi, i was the same as you but last year my gp referred me to a dermatologist and it really has made a MASSIVE difference.
my GP doesn't do referrals very often either but you have to exaggerate it a bit on how it's affecting your morale/daily life.
Reply 14
concealer is fine. But I think BB/CC cream is better use one for acne prone skin.

I’ll try it out
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous
hi, i was the same as you but last year my gp referred me to a dermatologist and it really has made a MASSIVE difference.
my GP doesn't do referrals very often either but you have to exaggerate it a bit on how it's affecting your morale/daily life.

I’ll make an appointment and see what they say. If they don’t refer me I’ll just go myself and pay. I think a consultation at skn clinic is £25-£50
Original post by Queen_1

speak to your GP to refer you to a dermatologist and depending on rhe severity of it try isotretonin. It can have severe side effect (though not for me). I had severe acne but now most its gone. It works but the real question is are you willing to take the risk?
Reply 17
Original post by NewSideKick
speak to your GP to refer you to a dermatologist and depending on rhe severity of it try isotretonin. It can have severe side effect (though not for me). I had severe acne but now most its gone. It works but the real question is are you willing to take the risk?

What kind of side effects?? Tbh I would try anything at this point
Original post by Queen_1
What kind of side effects?? Tbh I would try anything at this point

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/isotretinoin-capsules/

This would be a much better source! Please be wary of the side effects!
Original post by Queen_1

You need to go back to your GP and discuss what other options are available.

Quick Reply

Latest