The Student Room Group

Vegan cheese vs normal cheese

Which one is healthier for you?

Scroll to see replies

Vegan cheese, it has 0 cholesterol.
Original post by FutureMissMRCS

Sounds good to me, can you recommend any good brands? I really like the taste and texture of Gouda but I’ve never tried any vegan cheese before
Violife one is the best one I’ve tasted. Not too strong like a lot of vegan cheeses
I only ever had the violife cheese slices and sheese mozarella-I thought they were just okay, nothing special, I'm not a big fan of cheese in the first place so probably not the best person to ask. But I hope some other tsr vegans can help out. :colondollar: Sorry that I'm of no use. But I heard the daiya cheese is meant to be good, but haven't had it myself.
For me in particular? Normal cheese.
I only ever had the violife cheese slices and sheese mozarella-I thought they were just okay, nothing special, I'm not a big fan of cheese in the first place so probably not the best person to ask. But I hope some other tsr vegans can help out. :colondollar: Sorry that I'm of no use. But I heard the daiya cheese is meant to be good, but haven't had it myself.

Thank you, I’ll try out these brands. Finding vegan alternatives to dairy that I like is proving a challenge :smile:
Daiya cheese is the best one I've tried so far. Also Tesco do their own brand with jalapenos & chilli in it which I like. Violife is OK as well.

It has like 3 times more saturated fat than normal cheese...
Original post by black tea
It has like 3 times more saturated fat than normal cheese...

This is a bit concerning, can you show me?
Original post by Mo.Hamid
Violife one is the best one I’ve tasted. Not too strong like a lot of vegan cheeses

We call it vile-life because it tastes vile. It has a background vanillery/coconutty taste that tastes OK on first trying it, but then becomes rather sickly the more you eat.

IMO the best vegan alternative to cheese is Tyne Chease
https://www.tynechease.com/
However it is £££
Red Leicester mmmmm
Dunno. Quite expensive in my experience tho, the nice ones. Nutritional yeast tastes like cheese tho.
(edited 4 years ago)
Never mind, got a bit confused with labels. The levels are actually pretty similar so neither is particularly healthy. If you are worried about saturated fat though, have a look at cheese by a brand called "eatlean".
Original post by AngryRedhead
Sounds good to me, can you recommend any good brands? I really like the taste and texture of Gouda but I’ve never tried any vegan cheese before

Have you tried the FYH style Gouda slices?
https://www.planetorganic.com/follow-yh-smoked-gouda-slices-200g/25142/

My dairy allergic best friend loves vegan Gouda.
She also gets koko soft cream cheese alternative, new roots soft camembert, vbites mozzarella slices and fit food smoked vegan deli slices.

I mostly eat vegan cheese to avoid putting on weight and have dairy as a treat or for a special occasion.
Violife is ok as pizza cheese but not a great tasting substitute for someone who can safely eat the dairy versions.
If you are interested in getting to know all vegan cheeses most supermarkets have vegan cheese as part of their free from ranges.
I've bought vegan cheese from asda, tesco, ocado and sainsbury's.
The planet organic vegan range is vast but pricey.
Original post by Nautilus
We call it vile-life because it tastes vile. It has a background vanillery/coconutty taste that tastes OK on first trying it, but then becomes rather sickly the more you eat.

IMO the best vegan alternative to cheese is Tyne Chease
https://www.tynechease.com/
However it is £££

Original post by Obolinda
Dunno. Quite expensive in my experience tho, the nice ones. Nutritional yeast tastes like cheese tho.

Thank you also
Original post by londonmyst
Have you tried the FYH style Gouda slices?
https://www.planetorganic.com/follow-yh-smoked-gouda-slices-200g/25142/

My dairy allergic best friend loves vegan Gouda.
She also gets koko soft cream cheese alternative, new roots soft camembert, vbites mozzarella slices and fit food smoked vegan deli slices.

I mostly eat vegan cheese to avoid putting on weight and have dairy as a treat or for a special occasion.
Violife is ok as pizza cheese but not a great tasting substitute for someone who can safely eat the dairy versions.
If you are interested in getting to know all vegan cheeses most supermarkets have vegan cheese as part of their free from ranges.
I've bought vegan cheese from asda, tesco, ocado and sainsbury's.
The planet organic vegan range is vast but pricey.

Thank you I’ll definitely look into this
Never mind, got a bit confused with labels. The levels are actually pretty similar so neither is particularly healthy. If you are worried about saturated fat though, have a look at cheese by a brand called "eatlean".

Compare the vegan (top) with the normal cheese (bottom)
I don’t really know how you can say they’re similar?
Original post by AngryRedhead
Compare the vegan (top) with the normal cheese (bottom)
I don’t really know how you can say they’re similar?

Similar in term of saturated fat levels
Similar in term of saturated fat levels

The normal cheese has 6.5g per slice to the vegan cheeses 3.8g per slice? It’s nearly half as much less?
vegan cheese isn't real cheese sooo.....

Quick Reply

Latest