The Student Room Group

Who else finds that talking about their problems doesn't help?

I'm just wondering if anyone feels the same. We're all told that if we talk about our problems we feel better but whether it's in therapy or with a friend or even on here I only end up feeling worse.

Scroll to see replies

Not me, why do you think its not helping?
Reply 2
Original post by HumbleBee_x
Not me, why do you think its not helping?

Just seems to make things worse.
Reply 3
i guess it's just me then.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm just wondering if anyone feels the same. We're all told that if we talk about our problems we feel better but whether it's in therapy or with a friend or even on here I only end up feeling worse.

In what way does it make you feel worse?
I feel the same way.

me too. I don't really find "sharing" my problems helpful - it just makes me feel awkward and embarrassed.
Me! I’m awkward when it comes to talking to people anyway, so topics like this just make me feel even more awkward so I prefer not to. Personally feel it causes me more stress than it’s worth and than I get from not talking about things. I would like to talk about things like that, but can’t convince myself to. Just wish people were psychic so they could say it for me and let me nod😂😂
Reply 8
Original post by black tea
me too. I don't really find "sharing" my problems helpful - it just makes me feel awkward and embarrassed.

Same here
To be honest, there's something to that. Rarely is there someone who can really dive into the problem and analyse, sometimes someone may offer a little bit of empathy and that's it. At the end of the day my problems are my own and it is for me to solve them as, let's be real, noone is going to do that for me. However, occasionally there are these people who can objectively look at the situation and offer some kind of advice - and then there's usually a tradeoff and decision-making that is ultimately up to us and often difficult to make.
To be honest, there's something to that. Rarely is there someone who can really dive into the problem and analyse, sometimes someone may offer a little bit of empathy and that's it. At the end of the day my problems are my own and it is for me to solve them as, let's be real, noone is going to do that for me. However, occasionally there are these people who can objectively look at the situation and offer some kind of advice - and then there's usually a tradeoff and decision-making that is ultimately up to us and often difficult to make.

people say just talking about it makes you feel better but it doesn't make a difference to me.
It doesn’t solve the problem so why should it help
Original post by Wellnowhe
It doesn’t solve the problem so why should it help

so why does everybody say it does lol.
Same. My issues are my biz.
I think sharing the issues with right person is what helps. It helps only a little anyways, just momentarily unburdens you.
Talking about problems does not automatically provide a magic solution.
But talking calming to positive, helpful people who are trusted can help get a problem into perspective and lead to feeling calmer/less burdened.
May open the door to a reasonable source of advice that can go somewhat towards identifying possible solutions to the problem.
Talking openly about past difficulties can also provide assistance to other people who are currently experiencing similar situations.

Sharing difficult times creates bonds between humans. Having someone listen to your problems theoretically:
a) Makes you feel cared for
b) Enables you to solve them if the listener is mature and can look at it in an objective way
However this is only a short term solution. In the long run only solving the problem (or not caring about it any more) will help. For example if you’re frustrated at not being able to find a gf/bf (a common problem I get complaints about) the only solution is to find one or train yourself to not bother. Otherwise you keep thinking about/repeating the same thing...
Not me. For me, i feel very alone at times irl so letting out my feelings here has saved me.
Original post by NoTearsLeftToCry
Not me. For me, i feel very alone at times irl so letting out my feelings here has saved me.

I am sure you sharing your feelings also helps others, thus saving them too. :hugs:
Has it? that would be amazing

Quick Reply

Latest