The Student Room Group

What are the BEST A-Levels for Law?

A Law degree generally has no requirements, but which A-Levels give you the best chance? Obviously, you’re best to pick subjects you enjoy and will do well in, but in a world where you enjoy each subject the same and are just as good at each, which 3 or 4 subjects/combination(s) of A-Levels give you the most competitive application?
Reply 1
For A-Levels I picked Law, English lit, Psychology and Polish. At this UCAS convention, I was told that some law universities like 'traditional subjects', and apparently these subjects are traditional (except for Polish).
I picked law partly to get a taste of what it would like to be in university, at my school we have been told that they have brought down some content from university in order to make our transition from A-Levels to university easier. I picked Psychology because I thought it would really accompany law in the sense that there is a reason behind the defendant's actions, and you can have a better understanding of cases. Polish (and that goes for all languages taken in A-level) is highly respected regardless of the course you are taking. A lot of universities like it because it shows initiative and the ability to effectively communicate with a larger group of people. English I took because it's a passion of mine, I also figured it would suit better than biology (Which was my other option).
I have also been told History is good to accompany with law (but I reallllllly don't like history so it really wasn't an option for me).
The thing that links them all together is that they are all essay based subjects, which show to universities that you have extremely developed writing skills and it's actually quite challenging because of the volume of work that is demanded.
I hope that was helpful!
People I know who applied for law took subjects such as English literature and History. I myself applied for law (joint with business/a language though) and took history, politics and Spanish (I originally chose English but changed it before starting a levels since I picked it due to parental pressure). I know quite a few people who applied for law and study law who took politics as an a level, and taking politics definitely helped me when applying to law since the government side is related to constitutional law. Essay subjects are the go-to for law but some unis suggest they like to see a range of subjects. For example, subjects like maths can be related to law because they require use of logic and problem solving.
My school did not offer a level law, but I didn’t consider it anyway since unis said it was unnecessary and it wasn’t a ‘facilitating’ subject (though that label is being scrapped). It won’t hinder you at all but it won’t put you above anyone else either.
Basically: definitely at least one essay subject.
Your grades will determine whether your application is competitive, not the subjects you attained those grades in (with a few exceptions such as critical thinking, general studies, media studies etc).
Original post by Palmyra
Your grades will determine whether your application is competitive, not the subjects you attained those grades in (with a few exceptions such as critical thinking, general studies, media studies etc).

Yeah, I think I said that pretty clearly in my original post! I’m asking that in an ideal world where you have the ability to get an A* in any subject, and you love all the subjects equally, which would be best. Obviously Drama, Music and Dance would not be a good combination and you likely wouldn’t even be considered a competitive applicant.
Original post by WikiZz
but I reallllllly don't like history so it really wasn't an option for me

most relatable thing anyone has EVER said ahahhaha
Original post by taylor swift !!
A Law degree generally has no requirements, but which A-Levels give you the best chance? Obviously, you’re best to pick subjects you enjoy and will do well in, but in a world where you enjoy each subject the same and are just as good at each, which 3 or 4 subjects/combination(s) of A-Levels give you the most competitive application?

go for law, eng lit, psych, and philosophy if you have it!
Reply 7
Original post by Palmyra

Critical Thinking and General Studies no longer exist as A levels.
Reply 8
History, Maths, English Lit and a foreign language.
Original post by Compost
Critical Thinking and General Studies no longer exist as A levels.

Even more reason not to do them.

In terms of the subjects that will give you the most relevant skills for a Law degree, I'd say: History, Philosophy and English Lit.

History has to be, hands down, the most useful and relevant subject to Law.
Original post by Quick-use
In terms of the subjects that will give you the most relevant skills for a Law degree, I'd say: History, Philosophy and English Lit.

As always we agree - I also think RE is very relevant; in some schools they call it RS or Philosophy & Ethics
Original post by harrysbar
As always we agree - I also think RE is very relevant; in some schools they call it RS or Philosophy & Ethics

Yes! Completely agree with you.

OP, either Philosophy or RS / Philosophy & Ethics would be good.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Quick-use

yeah, but I don’t think you’re supposed to do all three are you? I think an admissions officer at Oxford said that doing three essay based subjects gives you little variety and only really shows one/a few skill(s)
yeah, but I don’t think you’re supposed to do all three are you? I think an admissions officer at Oxford said that doing three essay based subjects gives you little variety and only really shows one/a few skill(s)

You asked for the 'best' subjects which means absolutely nothing. I interpreted it as the most relevant.

Admission teams literally do not care about subject combinations. As long as you have the required subjects (if any) and the necessary grades, you're good to go. Ergo, you could do all 3 of the above subjects, be predicted A*s and you'll have a good chance of securing an offer.
I was just thinking about this again (for some reason). In an ideal world where I could literally do any subject possible and I wanted to study Law, I would, personally, do: A level History, Latin, Classical Civilisation, Economics and Chinese Mandarin. :rambo:
philosophy, history and another subject of your choice

Quick Reply

Latest