The Student Room Group

Entry requirements for law

Hi; I’m a sixth year student from Scotland, and am looking to apply for several LLB law courses next year. My first choice would be the University of Glasgow, but I’m insure if I would even be made an offer as I only did four highers in S5. I managed to get four As, but I’ve heard that Glasgow and Edinburgh can be quite particular about students doing five highers in S5. This year I’m studying two Advanced Highers and a higher. Any advice/experience would be appreciated:smile:)
Original post by elouise1453
Hi; I’m a sixth year student from Scotland, and am looking to apply for several LLB law courses next year. My first choice would be the University of Glasgow, but I’m insure if I would even be made an offer as I only did four highers in S5. I managed to get four As, but I’ve heard that Glasgow and Edinburgh can be quite particular about students doing five highers in S5. This year I’m studying two Advanced Highers and a higher. Any advice/experience would be appreciated:smile:)

Have you checked websites? These will usually be clear about how many exams they expect to be sat in one sitting. If not, it may be worth emailing unis after this week is over.

@Labrador99 can you help?
Edinburgh is unlikely as I spoke to admissions at the Open day last year and they said they said last year they only offered to applicants with 5As for law. It would be a good idea to email admissions and check as you don’t want to waste a choice. Glasgow may be more flexible. Again, why don’t you ask?
Reply 3
Original post by Shelley12345
Edinburgh is unlikely as I spoke to admissions at the Open day last year and they said they said last year they only offered to applicants with 5As for law. It would be a good idea to email admissions and check as you don’t want to waste a choice. Glasgow may be more flexible. Again, why don’t you ask?

I emailed Glasgow university several months ago using their enquiry form on the website but I didn’t get a response. Is there anyone I should email directly?
[email protected]

Try this address. It worked for me.

First, well done on your highers, that's a really good set of grades! :smile: Did you do 4 highers because your school only lets people do 4, or just because you were doing 4?

Glasgow specifies the minimum entry requirements as AAABB (unless you are a widening participation student), and Edinburgh say 'SQA Highers: AAAAA - AABB by end of S5. If you haven’t achieved this by the end of S5 we may consider your application based on a strong performance in S6. A minimum of BBB must be achieved in one set of exams and by end of S5' though as others have said they get so many applicants with top grades in 5 highers.

There are other unis in Scotland that have less stringent S5 requirements, for example Dundee :smile:

Are you eligible for any of the widening participation programmes? If so, that may lower the requirements.

Original post by SarcAndSpark
Have you checked websites? These will usually be clear about how many exams they expect to be sat in one sitting. If not, it may be worth emailing unis after this week is over.

@Labrador99 can you help?

Thanks Sarc :smile:
Reply 6
I only did four highers due to the way my option form was structured; I wanted to do five, but the only subjects available to me in that column were either full or they were national 5s. My teacher says she will mention this on my application; will this make a difference to applications for Glasgow, Strathclyde etc?
I only did four highers due to the way my option form was structured; I wanted to do five, but the only subjects available to me in that column were either full or they were national 5s. My teacher says she will mention this on my application; will this make a difference to applications for Glasgow, Strathclyde etc?

Since it wasn't your fault, yes it could do...Emailing admissions departments would get you a definite answer on that one though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending