The Student Room Group

Help...urgent ..maths alevel?

I dont have a maths alevel but i am going to be taking my exam in november . Can i still contact unis that need maths for the course and ask for a place by saying i am doing my maths alevel exam in november or in june 2020? is it possible to do that
Original post by moon78
I dont have a maths alevel but i am going to be taking my exam in november . Can i still contact unis that need maths for the course and ask for a place by saying i am doing my maths alevel exam in november or in june 2020? is it possible to do that

If you're looking to start uni in 2019 and you're applying via clearing, they're very unlikely to accept you on this basis.

You'd be better focusing your search on courses where you do meet the entry requirements.

However, there's nothing stopping you calling unis and discussing your situation.
Original post by moon78

They probably wont accept you. I assume this is for entry this year. What subject and unis are you looking at.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
They probably wont accept you. I assume this is for entry this year. What subject and unis are you looking at.

warwick accounting and finance with foundation year
Original post by moon78
warwick accounting and finance with foundation year

From the entry requirements page, it doesn't look like maths is 100% required, so it may be worth a call.

However, the course isn't currently in clearing, and may not become available tomorrow.

https://warwick.ac.uk/study/results/clearing/courses-2019/accountingandfinancefoundation/
Reply 5
Original post by SarcAndSpark
From the entry requirements page, it doesn't look like maths is 100% required, so it may be worth a call.

However, the course isn't currently in clearing, and may not become available tomorrow.

https://warwick.ac.uk/study/results/clearing/courses-2019/accountingandfinancefoundation/

ok thankyou so much
I have just checked Swansea University appear to be offering A&f without foundation and dont mention A level Maths if it interests you. I suspect others will be offering it as well.
I have just checked Swansea University appear to be offering A&f without foundation and dont mention A level Maths if it interests you. I suspect others will be offering it as well.

Swansea is a very different type of uni to Warwick, I'm not sure this is super helpful to the OP.
Reply 8
thankyou for all your help.

am i allowed to call a uni again for another course (through clearing) if they didnt accept me for one course?
e.g- if i first called to aplly for economics but didnt meet the requirements can i call for law?
Original post by moon78
thankyou for all your help.

am i allowed to call a uni again for another course (through clearing) if they didnt accept me for one course?
e.g- if i first called to aplly for economics but didnt meet the requirements can i call for law?

Yes, but you'd have to justify your change of mind to the admissions team.

Law is quite a competitive course, so may not be the best option for this.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Swansea is a very different type of uni to Warwick, I'm not sure this is super helpful to the OP.

It does show there are universities accepting students without A level Maths and as I said there would probably be others which OP could research. OP is choosing the foundation route when he/she could be going into other universities without spending 15,000 to 20,000 on a foundation year so I think it is helpful
Does it have to be Warwick. There are many universities that dont require A level Maths for Economics. I believe Lancaster doesnt.
Reply 12
Does it have to be Warwick. There are many universities that dont require A level Maths for Economics. I believe Lancaster doesnt.

im trying to aim for a russell group uni...but im not keeping my hopes up
Sometimes universities not in the Russell Group are as good as those in it. Lancaster, Bath and St Andrews being examples. I believe Cardiff dont require A level Maths for Economics and they are RG university. From memory I think Nottingham, Lancaster, Liverpool, Newcastle, East Anglia, Reading, Royal Holloway, Kent and Sussex dont but you might need to check these. They are all excellent universities and most are either RG or former 1994 group universities. Many are Sutton Trust universities.
Reply 14
Sometimes universities not in the Russell Group are as good as those in it. Lancaster, Bath and St Andrews being examples. I believe Cardiff dont require A level Maths for Economics and they are RG university. From memory I think Nottingham, Lancaster, Liverpool, Newcastle, East Anglia, Reading, Royal Holloway, Kent and Sussex dont but you might need to check these. They are all excellent universities and most are either RG or former 1994 group universities. Many are Sutton Trust universities.

ok thankyou
Original post by moon78
ok thankyou

The one thing I will add is that you should choose a subject you want to study wherever you go. Economics and Law are very different and you need to choose the. course and university where you will be happy. If its Economics that really interest you then look around for somewhere that accepts you. The problem with foundation courses ids they are very expensive and use 1 year of your 4 years student finance.
Original post by moon78

Hello,

We are offering accounting and finance courses in clearing (but do require an a-level or as level in maths), but our economics (BA) course does not require a-level maths. I would suggest giving the University of Reading clearing hotline a call on 0118 402 0900, and discuss your situation with them, and see how they can help you. Make sure you've got your A-level results and your UCAS/Clearing ID to hand. All the info about the courses are here: https://www.reading.ac.uk/clearing/

Best of luck,
Alice :h:
Final year student ambassador
Original post by moon78
im trying to aim for a russell group uni...but im not keeping my hopes up

As others have said, Russell Group just means they're focused on high standards of research. It doesn't have any effect on your actual course. You'd be better looking at the TEF for their teaching standards as RG and high standards for teaching don't necessarily correlate.

You may find that some universities will allow transfer between similar courses if there's a similar base year. Or you can take the foundation year route to strengthen both your understanding and your position for next year. However, as mentioned, a foundation year would cost you a significant amount of money and you may struggle to maintain motivation if, come your A level results day, you find that you would have been accepted without having to take it. Your best option is to think about what's the most important to you right now, whichever choice you take is right for you.

Quick Reply

Latest