The Student Room Group

Starting Uni at 22/23

So I start a HNC course in Computer Science in a week, and once i complete that, i can use it to skip to 2nd year on a Degree. However when i start 2nd year, i'll be 23. Is there usually issues with people being a bit older? The uni's that do the course i want to are a while away from where i live (2+ hours drive time), so id have to find some form of student accommodation, do people recon id have an issue with this?

Starting uni alot later than others my age only because at 16 i didn't know what i wanted to do, so didn't start the qualifications to get here until i was 21.
No, it isn’t old. everyone is there to get their education, no one cares about age.
Original post by Losthawk19
So I start a HNC course in Computer Science in a week, and once i complete that, i can use it to skip to 2nd year on a Degree. However when i start 2nd year, i'll be 23. Is there usually issues with people being a bit older? The uni's that do the course i want to are a while away from where i live (2+ hours drive time), so id have to find some form of student accommodation, do people recon id have an issue with this?

Starting uni alot later than others my age only because at 16 i didn't know what i wanted to do, so didn't start the qualifications to get here until i was 21.

Isn't a problem whatsoever unless you make it one. From what I observed those who were a little older were treated the same but they tended to keep to themselves. Don't do this get stuck in as much as you can and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Most probably wouldn't notice there's an age difference, those who do won't care
Reply 4
I'm starting uni at 2nd year as a 20/21 year old and so far I've been treated like everyone else. They also look up to me somewhat because I'm older and I have more experience. You won't be the only older student, just be nice and respectful and you'll eventually find your group of friends :smile:
I don't think anyone will have a problem with it, especially since you really aren't that much older than some of the other people. My brother started university at 23 too and he had no trouble making friends and said nobody really cared that he was older. Good luck!
I started uni at 24, then switched and started at a different one last year at 25.

It's been fine both times.
No one even realised I was a bit older. If I hadn't mentioned it everyone would've just thought I was 19/20 (many did for 90% of first year).

Quick Reply

Latest