The Student Room Group

University of Birmigham

I just checked clearing for law from Birmingham it says A*AA and I got an offer of AAA I'm literally panicking cause I felt like I didn't do as well as I wanted in my exams and now I feel I have really no chance. Does anyone know if this is a mistake or legit?
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/clearing2019/courses-in-clearing.aspx
Reply 1
Original post by boy55555
I just checked clearing for law from Birmingham it says A*AA and I got an offer of AAA I'm literally panicking cause I felt like I didn't do as well as I wanted in my exams and now I feel I have really no chance. Does anyone know if this is a mistake or legit?
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/clearing2019/courses-in-clearing.aspx

Wow, just BBC to study Modern Foreign Languages BA. Anyway, I wouldn’t worry. What course is your question relating to? A lot of universities tend to jack up course requirements in clearing for more competitive courses (King’s does this - you need A*A*A to get in via clearing for courses such as law and economics instead of AAA/A*AA which are the standard grades on the respective course pages). They sometimes do this to increase their average UCAS tariff points and hence their league table placing, so I really wouldn’t worry🙂
Reply 2
Original post by Bazyli
Wow, just BBC to study Modern Foreign Languages BA. Anyway, I wouldn’t worry. What course is your question relating to? A lot of universities tend to jack up course requirements in clearing for more competitive courses (King’s does this - you need A*A*A to get in via clearing for courses such as law and economics instead of AAA/A*AA which are the standard grades on the respective course pages). They sometimes do this to increase their average UCAS tariff points and hence their league table placing, so I really wouldn’t worry🙂

Thank you for responding, the question is relating to their law degree

It could be legitimate, but it won't necessarily affect you.

It may mean that Birmingham have a small number of places still available, and only want the best students to apply via clearing- law is a top course and they could otherwise end up with loads of students phoning for only a few places.

It doesn't 100% mean they won't accept any near miss students.

It's also normal to feel like you did badly in your exams, so try not to worry too much!
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
It could be legitimate, but it won't necessarily affect you.

It may mean that Birmingham have a small number of places still available, and only want the best students to apply via clearing- law is a top course and they could otherwise end up with loads of students phoning for only a few places.

It doesn't 100% mean they won't accept any near miss students.

It's also normal to feel like you did badly in your exams, so try not to worry too much!

Thank you for responding
Thank you for responding

No worries and good luck for tomorrow.

Maybe try to take this as a good sign- if the course was 100% full and they'd had to reject a lot of students, it wouldn't be in clearing at all.
Reply 6
Original post by SarcAndSpark
No worries and good luck for tomorrow.

Maybe try to take this as a good sign- if the course was 100% full and they'd had to reject a lot of students, it wouldn't be in clearing at all.

Must be less competitive this year. I know someone who got rejected by Birmingham for law with AAB on results day
Original post by Bazyli
Must be less competitive this year. I know someone who got rejected by Birmingham for law with AAB on results day

Yeah, it is. There's less 18/19yos in the UK right now (because of a birth rate dip in the early 2000s). This demographic make up the bulk of uni applicants, so things are much less competitive.

In addition, it's very possible EU applicant numbers are down because of Brexit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending