Is d of e a waste of money? Watch

Lilysmithxoxo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My school charges somewhere over £200 to do d of e. To some people that’s not a lot but to others it may be. It seems unfair that if u don’t have the money u can’t get the achievement when in reality all you’re paying for is the examiners when you’re actually doing everything yourself. Is it actually worth paying for?
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is this for the expedition?
You're paying for the transport to wherever you are doing the walk, any accomodation for the first night or costs to rent out a campsite, then there are the costs for any equipment you are borrowing plus the assessor. It's not cheap

Wether or not it is worth it will vary from person to person- what do you hope to gain from it, answer this and I could tell you if it may be worth it for you (or advise)
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lilysmithxoxo)
My school charges somewhere over £200 to do d of e. To some people that’s not a lot but to others it may be. It seems unfair that if u don’t have the money u can’t get the achievement when in reality all you’re paying for is the examiners when you’re actually doing everything yourself. Is it actually worth paying for?
It depends. If you're going to get something out of it, whether it be the team working skills, independence etc, then that can be worth it.

I know it's a lot of money and it wouldn't have been possible for me if I'd have wanted to do it at school/college, but I know a number of my peers fundraised as part of the whole experience in order to raise the funds to go
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did mine through Rangers (guiding) and don't remember paying a fee! Maybe have a look at your local guiding centre?
mez_merising
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, don’t bother. Everyone does it nowadays so it’s nothing unique or will help you stand out.
DoritoEvie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've never done DoE. I never even heard of it before going to the UK... I'd say unless it's really going to make your resume shiny, don't bother with it...
Nikky200174
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would do it because it will get u a good job and a high pay
Tabathaxx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
have you asked (quietly without others knowing) if there is any financial support available thro school. they may be able to help if your family are struggling as 200 is a lot for many to afford.

as for is it worth it that's up to you, yes a lot of people do it so don't do just it for the sake of saying you have dofe but the volunteering and other activities will be really worthwhile .. you will gain lots o skills that could help you in your future.

finally .. yes scouts, guides, army cadets and others similar groups very often offer dofe free so that is another option !
OR321
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly, you should only do it if it relates to something you want to do in the future. Otherwise, I don’t think universities or employers really care that much about it anymore because it’s so overdone 🤷*♀️
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
D of E is great for experiences but not worth doing just to put on personal statement if you have no real interest in it. I would ask the school about any bursaries/funding that is available for less well off pupils.
Talon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That is a lot of money. In the Army Cadets we charge the basic enrolment fee (~£25 at the moment) and then around £15 per expedition at Bronze and Silver level. Gold goes up to around £40 for the expedition. Whether it is worth it or not really depends on what other extracurricular activities you do. If you do nothing else then yes I would say it is worth it for the experiences and makes it looks like you actually get off your arse. If your week is already full of sports etc then perhaps not.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
I did mine through Rangers (guiding) and don't remember paying a fee! Maybe have a look at your local guiding centre?
I looked into it through girlguiding as well (was a brownie leader).
I deffo wouldnt pay for it though.
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That's a lot, my school does it for £20 (this year it's £30 though), and in my local cadets squadron it's only £10 (excluding the fees)
powerpuff674
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I found it a waste of money because it doesn’t really help with uni applications or jobs etc. However, if you do it for yourself and self growth, then it is worth it. You need to figure out what you want from it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (29)
6.92%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (245)
58.47%
No (145)
34.61%

Watched Threads