The Student Room Group

Can I study Psychology at uni without previously studying it?

I've studied English, Art and RS at A-level, and have no background of studying Psychology but I'm really interested in it as I would like to help people with mental health difficulties in the future, is this enough to study it?
At one of the uni open days I visited, I went to the Psychology talk/lecture and I was the only one who put my hand up, out of a hall full of people, when asked who hadn't studied it before! That was eye opening and really scary. I'm also very weak at maths (got a C in GCSE) and there is a lot of mathematics in Psychology it seems!
How can I prepare myself and gain more knowledge of the subject to be able to study it well at university level? Will I ever be good enough to be on the same level as other students on the course who have all previously studied it? Has anyone else been in this same position or currently in it?

Please help :frown:
Original post by cribabyyip
I've studied English, Art and RS at A-level, and have no background of studying Psychology but I'm really interested in it as I would like to help people with mental health difficulties in the future, is this enough to study it?
At one of the uni open days I visited, I went to the Psychology talk/lecture and I was the only one who put my hand up, out of a hall full of people, when asked who hadn't studied it before! That was eye opening and really scary. I'm also very weak at maths (got a C in GCSE) and there is a lot of mathematics in Psychology it seems!
How can I prepare myself and gain more knowledge of the subject to be able to study it well at university level? Will I ever be good enough to be on the same level as other students on the course who have all previously studied it? Has anyone else been in this same position or currently in it?

Please help :frown:

Do you have an offer for psychology?

If not, although studying psychology at A-level isn't a requirement, science subjects usually are.

You might find that a foundation year would help bridge the gap between your A-levels and uni.

However, if you do have an offer, then the uni obviously think you are capable! If you start to struggle, it's important to seek help early, and maths help is often available at unis for those who are struggling.
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Do you have an offer for psychology?

If not, although studying psychology at A-level isn't a requirement, science subjects usually are.

You might find that a foundation year would help bridge the gap between your A-levels and uni.

However, if you do have an offer, then the uni obviously think you are capable! If you start to struggle, it's important to seek help early, and maths help is often available at unis for those who are struggling.

Hi thanks for your reply!

No, I don't have an offer for psychology but I am thinking of changing my current subject (English Language/Linguistics) to Psychology maybe through clearing, as I enjoy reading about it.

Yes you're right, perhaps I should apply for a course with a foundation year, that could really help.

Thank you:smile:

No, I don't have an offer for psychology but I am thinking of changing my current subject (English Language/Linguistics) to Psychology maybe through clearing, as I enjoy reading about it.

Yes you're right, perhaps I should apply for a course with a foundation year, that could really help.

Psychology courses do usually want some science A-levels, so a foundation year may be your best option- this will also give you a chance to see whether psychology is for you without committing to a 3 year course!

If you have done some reading, then you have some knowledge about the course. The first term will often be a way to get people up to speed, as not everyone will have had the opportunity to study it. Only you can know whether you want to do it - but you will have to potentially convince the people in Clearing about your change of course choice.

Or you could take a gap year and make a decision in a few months :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending