The Student Room Group

Foundation year revised offer

I did not achieve my results I wanted to get into BSc Finance at Aston university however they have given me a revised offer of a foundation year with the undergraduate study after. What would I have to do in regards to student finance and what’s everyone’s opinions on a foundation year.
Original post by GavandeepR
I did not achieve my results I wanted to get into BSc Finance at Aston university however they have given me a revised offer of a foundation year with the undergraduate study after. What would I have to do in regards to student finance and what’s everyone’s opinions on a foundation year.

It really depends what you want to do. Have you checked Clearing vacancies to see if there is anywhere you could access directly? Foundation years are an extra year of study and are not always totally necessary. They also don't guarantee you a place on the full degree.
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte's Web
It really depends what you want to do. Have you checked Clearing vacancies to see if there is anywhere you could access directly? Foundation years are an extra year of study and are not always totally necessary. They also don't guarantee you a place on the full degree.

Do you reckon its worth me phoning aston back and asking if they could place me on another Business course. I got CDD with 1 mark off a C in economics but they want CCC to clear

All you'd have to do is go through student finance and update your course duration details. gov.uk has a good rundown of information on student finance, including foundation years. https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

hope this helps!

*Raman
Do you reckon its worth me phoning aston back and asking if they could place me on another Business course. I got CDD with 1 mark off a C in economics but they want CCC to clear

check out the clearing link attached for other business associated courses. if you are still unsure give us a call on message on our social media platforms and we will get back to you!

https://www2.aston.ac.uk/clearing/index

*Raman

There's certainly no harm in asking.
Reply 6
There's certainly no harm in asking.

Im going to ask as I really wanna go to aston but dont wanna have to do another year. I was super close to the boundaries aswell and its disheartening. So Im going to try. How do you think i should word it
Im going to ask as I really wanna go to aston but dont wanna have to do another year. I was super close to the boundaries aswell and its disheartening. So Im going to try. How do you think i should word it

You just need to clearly explain your situation and suggest the course(s) you would like to be considered for. I'd advise doing this as soon as you can as vacancies will change as the morning progresses.
Reply 8
You just need to clearly explain your situation and suggest the course(s) you would like to be considered for. I'd advise doing this as soon as you can as vacancies will change as the morning progresses.

Yeah im in the hotline queue just waiting for them to pick up. Ill let you know how i get on
Yeah im in the hotline queue just waiting for them to pick up. Ill let you know how i get on

Great - Good luck!
Reply 10
Great - Good luck!

They said they couldnt do anything about it so I just enrolled onto the foundation course which i think is my best offer im gonna get
They said they couldnt do anything about it so I just enrolled onto the foundation course which i think is my best offer im gonna get

That's a shame. Have you considered Clearing options or would you rather just stick with that university?
Reply 12
That's a shame. Have you considered Clearing options or would you rather just stick with that university?

Aston is really where I want to go to so i dont really wanna clear anywhere else. I reckon with the grades I have and the offer Aston have given me I wont get into a business school good enough.
Aston is really where I want to go to so i dont really wanna clear anywhere else. I reckon with the grades I have and the offer Aston have given me I wont get into a business school good enough.

If you're set on Aston then it sounds like the foundation degree is a good bet. At least that gets you into the university and also gives you a taste of their style of teaching which will be beneficial on the full degree.
Just make sure you look carefully at the details because I was offered a foundation year from Aston but I only found out after accepting that it was actually going to be a 5 year course because they make you do a placement year. This was for business management btw.
Reply 15
Oh okay, where are u studying now and what course?
I got quite a lot of offers from Keele, Uclan, edge hill and mmu so I picked MMU to study business management. My grades were BDD so I got lucky 😂
Reply 17
Original post by OR321
Just make sure you look carefully at the details because I was offered a foundation year from Aston but I only found out after accepting that it was actually going to be a 5 year course because they make you do a placement year. This was for business management btw.

Yeah they make you do a foundation year no matter what unless your an international student. However, there are so many benefits to a placement year that make that 1 year worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending