The Student Room Group

Bad AS results for medicine

Today I got my AS results; I'm disappointed with my results:
Maths: A
Biology: B
Physics: B
Chemistry: C
EPQ: A*

I'm dropping physics and going into A2 with chem, maths and bio. I did not take AS seriously (blah blah blah) and crammed a day before just as I did for GCSE (apparently that doesn't work for AS!).
My GCSEs are average and so add nothing to my application (6A* 2A 2B) and I have my UCAT in 2 weeks, been averaging 720-800 in mocks.

Do I stand a chance..? I'm thinking of applying to Newcastle and so I need to smash the UCAT, but I have no clue where else to apply where I stand a slight of chance.
I've just got my results and I'm going to Newcastle to study medicine this September !! I didn't do AS so I'm not sure if you use your AS grades or Predcitions when you apply. I'm pretty sure its predictions though, try to get AAA prediction, anything less and you wont be considered by majority of the unis. Your gcses are more than good enough. If you manage to get 690+ in UCAT than it's pretty much garaunterd interview at Newcastle. Manchester give everyone who's score is in the top 30% an interview so thats worth a try too. Usually thsts around 660. Sheffield Is also a UCAT heavy uni so if your scores good enough than that's worth a choice too. Your good across the board so I would recommend searching around and finding the uni you wanna go to. Usually different medical schools focus on different stats for example Birmingham really care about your gcses. 6 A*s may be enough for an interview but no guarantee
Reply 2
Original post by Ahsan0916
I've just got my results and I'm going to Newcastle to study medicine this September !! I didn't do AS so I'm not sure if you use your AS grades or Predcitions when you apply. I'm pretty sure its predictions though, try to get AAA prediction, anything less and you wont be considered by majority of the unis. Your gcses are more than good enough. If you manage to get 690+ in UCAT than it's pretty much garaunterd interview at Newcastle. Manchester give everyone who's score is in the top 30% an interview so thats worth a try too. Usually thsts around 660. Sheffield Is also a UCAT heavy uni so if your scores good enough than that's worth a choice too. Your good across the board so I would recommend searching around and finding the uni you wanna go to. Usually different medical schools focus on different stats for example Birmingham really care about your gcses. 6 A*s may be enough for an interview but no guarantee

Congrats on getting a place! I'll try to convince my teachers to predict me an A for chemistry. Do you know whether Newcastle just wants the requirements met or do they favour over achievers in AS?
Original post by earl2334
Congrats on getting a place! I'll try to convince my teachers to predict me an A for chemistry. Do you know whether Newcastle just wants the requirements met or do they favour over achievers in AS?

I'm pretty sure they just want requirements met. A friend of mine had A*A*B and they wouldnt let him in through normal entry due to the B
Reply 4
I'm not sure how nice my teachers will be with their predictions but I'm willing to work my *** off from the start of A2 now that I know what level I should be revising at. But I know I'm capable of achieving them if I start revision as soon as A2 starts.
Reply 5
Original post by Ahsan0916
I'm pretty sure they just want requirements met. A friend of mine had A*A*B and they wouldnt let him in through normal entry due to the B

Ah, that's fine then. Do you know any other Unis which don't care much about AS/academics but put emphasis on UCAT?
Ah, that's fine then. Do you know any other Unis which don't care much about AS/academics but put emphasis on UCAT?

Sheffield, Manchester and Newcastle are the main 3 I know of. All medical schools just want you to meet the minimum A level prediction of AAA. They may accept you with AAB on results day but they went the 3 As prediction to consider your application. Medic portal have a list of unis which focus on higher UCAT scores. They also show which unis dont focus on UCAT alot so worth looking there. I'd recommend really researching the uni and finding out what they focus on the most. theres no point wasting an option at a uni which looks heavily at 1 particular thing which you may have not done too well at. Birmingham and Cardiff put a lot of emphasis on gcses and the average offer holder has like 7 ot 8 A*s so it's a risk applying there. Bristol has just switched to looking at UCAT only this year, so Bristol is worth an option too as long as you have a strong UCAT
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Today I got my AS results; I'm disappointed with my results:
Maths: A
Biology: B
Physics: B
Chemistry: C
EPQ: A*

I'm dropping physics and going into A2 with chem, maths and bio. I did not take AS seriously (blah blah blah) and crammed a day before just as I did for GCSE (apparently that doesn't work for AS!).
My GCSEs are average and so add nothing to my application (6A* 2A 2B) and I have my UCAT in 2 weeks, been averaging 720-800 in mocks.

Do I stand a chance..? I'm thinking of applying to Newcastle and so I need to smash the UCAT, but I have no clue where else to apply where I stand a slight of chance.

Nowhere cares about AS levels as long as you are predicted at least AAA
Reply 8
Original post by GANFYD
Nowhere cares about AS levels as long as you are predicted at least AAA

But wouldn't being predicted AAA put me at a disadvantage because presumably, most medicine applicants will have A*A*A/A*A*A* predictions?
If you’re not predicted an a things will be harder and you may have to push as some schools are only minded to go one grade higher but so long as you get a UCAT score, apply strategically, get an interview and then an offer you would only have to meet your predictions then to get in and would only have to go up 1 grade in 2 subjects and 2 in your other from as to a level
Hey! This is literally me 3 years ago... I got BBBC at AS (dropped maths which had the C). Then went on to get AAA at A2 and go to do medicine at newcastle! The UCAT (or UKCAT in my day) is crucial for NCL. Get a good score in that and you'll be fine :smile: Also my GCSE's were 5A* and 5A if you were wondering so not amazing either
Reply 11
But wouldn't being predicted AAA put me at a disadvantage because presumably, most medicine applicants will have A*A*A/A*A*A* predictions?

No, unless you apply to somewhere that selects using A levels or has minimum requirements of A*AA. And most appicants do not have those sort of predictions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending