The Student Room Group

failure

So i got CCE in my A levels so heart broken i was in clearing got place at Hertfordshire to do biomed. but i really wanted to do medicine so i need advice for what i should . my school is just rubbish i failed maths because of my maths teacher

please any advice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yes i can , I'm determined to do this but i feel like i have no reassurance, sucks to be in this position. i just want some advice and tips so i know what steps i need to be taking
Reply 2
do you think graduate medicine is also a good option too ?
i really am broken completely, i feel lost
Hi,
Just wanted to ask about the foundation programmes. Do you know if the foundation med will accept retakes?
I couldn't find anything on uni websites :frown:
Reply 4
Its just that i have to reply by tomorrow and accept the offer, so i would like to know if thats a smart choice or not. i've thought about it back to back but i feel like i need an opinion too
Original post by May123s
So i got CCE in my A levels so heart broken i was in clearing got place at Hertfordshire to do biomed. but i really wanted to do medicine so i need advice for what i should . my school is just rubbish i failed maths because of my maths teacher

please any advice

Hi
I'm in exactly same position as you! I think I'm going for a retake and will apply again :frown:
What have you planned?
Got the same grades as you and applying through clearing right now.
Reply 7
Original post by idontknow786
Hi
I'm in exactly same position as you! I think I'm going for a retake and will apply again :frown:
What have you planned?

Firstly, well done no matter what you still worked for the grades
I would want to retake but I'm worried how I'm gonna manage that alongside with UCAT and BMAT. Do you have a place for biomed? because then we can do biomed aim for first and do all the necessary work and do GEM
Reply 8
Hi I'm in the same position. Stuck between accepting a biomed offer or retaking, don't know if I have the willpower to go through the application process and A levels again though...
Original post by May123s
Firstly, well done no matter what you still worked for the grades
I would want to retake but I'm worried how I'm gonna manage that alongside with UCAT and BMAT. Do you have a place for biomed? because then we can do biomed aim for first and do all the necessary work and do GEM

Yeah exactly...am worried about that as well, and also getting AAA after such low grades.
I got offers for other courses, not biomed though, but they also have transfers to Med, but to be honest I don't think it's worth it, it way more competitive than normal med. Same with GEM, it's way harder to get in compared to normal med.
I feel like I'll stick with a resit, work extremely hard for the year and try again. Have you made your mind up yet?
Original post by May123s
do you think graduate medicine is also a good option too ?
i really am broken completely, i feel lost

Ecolier has given you really good advice, although I think your shock will make it hard for you to absorb.
Graduate entry is much harder.
This shows how many applicants per place you will be competing against although you can divide by four as people get four choices.
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

If you feel those results dont reflect your true ability, then the most cost effective way is resits.
Many medical schools will not accept resits
As Ecolier said CCE to AAA is a long journey.
Original post by 1968
Hi I'm in the same position. Stuck between accepting a biomed offer or retaking, don't know if I have the willpower to go through the application process and A levels again though...

I am in the same position as well. I hv decided to do Bioscience and enter as graduate entry. I don’t think I can go through the stress of UKcat BMAT and interviews and not sure how my retake is gonna turn out!!
Reply 12
I know this sounds weird but I’m so happy I found you ! I literally opened my results and I had gotten CCD and am looking to retake the year. I’m so determined to get all A’s !
Reply 13
Original post by Explorer29
I am in the same position as well. I hv decided to do Bioscience and enter as graduate entry. I don’t think I can go through the stress of UKcat BMAT and interviews and not sure how my retake is gonna turn out!!

same here! I'd have to resit all 3 a levels which terrifies me and my ukcat went awful last year and I don't think I could cope going through that again. I've decided to get for the biomed because even I'm not sure whether my heart is in medicine 100 percent, so at least this way I have other options after the 3 years :smile:
Original post by 1968
same here! I'd have to resit all 3 a levels which terrifies me and my ukcat went awful last year and I don't think I could cope going through that again. I've decided to get for the biomed because even I'm not sure whether my heart is in medicine 100 percent, so at least this way I have other options after the 3 years :smile:

All the best! I am still gonna apply for graduate medicine but I dunno how but I thought of resitting my science subjects on my first year uni. Since chem n Bio is covered, I might be able to get it done. I am thinking about it but not sure
Original post by May123s

please any advice

hey so I was in a similar position last yr. got offers for med but missed my grades too. I have just finished first yr biomed at st Georges. while I do love being in a position where I'm one step closer to medicine, I would suggest retaking and reapplying for next yr. its easier to get into undergrad med than grad med and its cheaper in the long run. however, if you're tired of a levels and want a change, doing biomed and then applying for grad med isn't a bad idea either! biomed is a v versatile degree and your options are v much open after you finish your degree - it will also give you time to rly think about what you want to do whether its medicine or research
All the best! I am still gonna apply for graduate medicine but I dunno how but I thought of resitting my science subjects on my first year uni. Since chem n Bio is covered, I might be able to get it done. I am thinking about it but not sure

You can do it. I have just had my gap yr after yr 13 and honestly last yr i was in the same position as u guys and didnt wanna take a gap yr but it was the best decision i ever took. i learnt so much abt myself, earnt money, and unis love gap yrs u can resit whtever subjects u want, gain LOADSSSS of experience and get the grades u want to do medicine without havin to do biomed. u have legit a yr till exams u can defo 100000000000% get all A*s if u resit cos u partially already know the subjects and u have a lot of time honestly.btw i rlly wanted to do medicine and was willing to do biomed to do it but omg after my gap yr i realised that i was not for it and am now going to go do Economics and couldnt be happier! good luck!
Reply 17

thank you, you too! i still have grad med in the back of my head also, already been looking into volunteer places at nearby hospitals at my chosen uni haha. i was thinking the same but i don't know whether resitting during first year would be worth it since many grad med courses have low/no thresholds for a level grades anyway, depends where you end up applying though. aim for firsts in every year and hopefully we'll make it somehow!
Original post by May123s

please any advice

best friend got CEE, took a gap year didn’t apply cos knew she wouldn’t get offers with those grades, got great grades for results day and now is applying for medicine 2020 entry (basically took 2 gap years). It’s so worth it so please take a gap year and just buckle down from now on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending