The Student Room Group

2020 GCSE discussion

Scroll to see replies

I recently did my GCSE language speaking endorsement and word of advice, don't freak out when the time comes to do yours. All you really need is a pass, but try aiming for a distinction this is coming from a person with social anxiety issues and introversion tendencies. You'll do well as long as you use standard English engage with the AUDIENCE e.g. ask questions, remain eye contact and try not to just stand still in one place reading off a piece of paper. I mean, you don't have to, but, I memorised mine just so I could hold eye contact with everyone in the room and some people just took a flash card out with them, with some bullet points as prompts. I even had a boy in my class just take up a mind map as extra help, incase he forgot his points. If you have problems with public speaking, foci on the words and not the audience, it'll help to look at the wall behind your audience instead of directly at them. Good Luck.
im in year 10 now gonna do my gcses in 2020 but im so stressed cuz i want to revise but cant !!
same bro i feel ya type f
1v1 fortnite anyone?
Just realised I'm like a year late to most of these comments, but hi, I too am doing GCSEs 2020. Anyways I'm taking triple science, geography, German, Music, computing, and obviously Maths, English lit and English Lan. So if you're looking for a good way to revise try filming yourself make a mindmap/notes and then time-lapse it. It looks really pretty at the end, but most importantly it stops you getting distracted, as it would ruin the timelapse and it stops you going on your phone, because you are filming with your phoneWhat books and poems have you guys done for lit yet?
I am just doing my GCSEs

Maths
English
Triple science
Music
Geography
Computer science
Religious studies
Chinese
2020 gang - im doing latin, german, geog, re, double science and english and maths. i need to improve in maths and im worried about physics
Let me just jump on this anxiety-filled bandwagon.
Hi, Year 11 now. Soon at least. I'm doing my GCSE's in 2020.
My subjects are:
Maths
Triple Science
English Language and Literature
History
Geography
Art (Definitely going to fail that one but I gave up with it a long time ago)
Music
I am getting 7's in my triple science (Chemistry and Biology), Physics is a 5 and I have 7/6's in English. In my opinion, one of the best ways to revise is active recall. You make flashcards (I have a flashcard pack for every topic in a CGP book e.g. Biology Topic 1: Cell Biology) and you test yourself on them before you go to bed. Then the next morning, you take a piece of paper and write out everything you remember from the pack. This is useful as it strengthens the connections to that memory in your brain and increases the likelihood of you remembering those facts. I have a sort of system where if I get the whole pack right, you then move onto testing it every two days, then five, then in a week, then 2 weeks. Soon enough you are testing yourself on the material every couple of weeks and you're acing it every time. All you have to do is carry on up until your exams and then boom, your grades will significantly increase. Also, stick some sticky notes around your bedroom of the facts you don't get right and make a point to look over them every day, and remember (especially when you get to test yourself via active recall every few weeks) to also test yourself using the original question and answer flashcards. They are like practise papers leading up to the big exam which is the active recall day.
Good luck, guys!
Original post by mollymop902
Let me just jump on this anxiety-filled bandwagon.
Hi, Year 11 now. Soon at least. I'm doing my GCSE's in 2020.
My subjects are:
Maths
Triple Science
English Language and Literature
History
Geography
Art (Definitely going to fail that one but I gave up with it a long time ago)
Music
I am getting 7's in my triple science (Chemistry and Biology), Physics is a 5 and I have 7/6's in English. In my opinion, one of the best ways to revise is active recall. You make flashcards (I have a flashcard pack for every topic in a CGP book e.g. Biology Topic 1: Cell Biology) and you test yourself on them before you go to bed. Then the next morning, you take a piece of paper and write out everything you remember from the pack. This is useful as it strengthens the connections to that memory in your brain and increases the likelihood of you remembering those facts. I have a sort of system where if I get the whole pack right, you then move onto testing it every two days, then five, then in a week, then 2 weeks. Soon enough you are testing yourself on the material every couple of weeks and you're acing it every time. All you have to do is carry on up until your exams and then boom, your grades will significantly increase. Also, stick some sticky notes around your bedroom of the facts you don't get right and make a point to look over them every day, and remember (especially when you get to test yourself via active recall every few weeks) to also test yourself using the original question and answer flashcards. They are like practise papers leading up to the big exam which is the active recall day.
Good luck, guys!

This really helped thankyou :smile: Also how much content do you like to include on each flashcard. At the moment I am doing one sided flashcards for example a heading 'Plant cells' but I'm not sure if they are worthwhile and if I should put a question on the other side? I don't know. It might sound like a stupid question but I am finding it hard to recall the information and don't know whether to write them out again.
Recalling information doesn't only have to be through flashcards :smile:
You use active recall when answering practice tests and doing questions. Therefore you may not even need to write down answers, you could simply write down questions and try to recall the answers in your head. Another thing to do to strengthen your memory is by using spaced repetition. This prevents you forgetting the information you've learnt when the exams come by, this way you'll save plenty of time and you won't have to spend all your time revising even when during your exam period. More information on spaced repetition and active recall is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLnPbIffxE

One more thing I'd like to say is, for subjects like Physics and your GCSEs as a whole, don't focus on just memorising everything, understanding everything is the main thing you're going for and you truly understand something if you can explain it to someone else.

The fact that you're concerned about your GCSEs shows how much you care and so I hope you do very well :smile:
Hey so it’s almost September 2019 and I’m going into yr 11, the same as you! I’m so scared ngl. Is the passing grade for us a 4 or a 5?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Graace_P
Hey so it’s almost September 2019 and I’m going into yr 11, the same as you! I’m so scared ngl. Is the passing grade for us a 4 or a 5?

passing gade is a 4 but c'mon u can aim for so much more than just a passing grade
Original post by _summerxo
This really helped thankyou :smile: Also how much content do you like to include on each flashcard. At the moment I am doing one sided flashcards for example a heading 'Plant cells' but I'm not sure if they are worthwhile and if I should put a question on the other side? I don't know. It might sound like a stupid question but I am finding it hard to recall the information and don't know whether to write them out again.

I'm glad it helped! I do believe that using one-sided flashcards when you are putting 4-5 points onto one flashcard can help for some, but likely it won't help you remember it long term. In my opinion, the method is much similar to cramming, even if you plan to read over them more than once it still isn't the most effective way to revise. One of the most helpful ways is likely to use the revision guides you have been given (hopefully, but if not, Bitesize is a good resource) to help make the flashcards. You're looking for KEY information which the guide is there to point out for you, and from then you can make question and answer flashcards by reworking the information into a question (e.g. 'The halogens are in period 7 of the periodic table' to QUESTION: 'Period 7 of the periodic table contains?' ANSWER: 'The Halogens') It is also important to note that if you make question and answer flashcards, one of the worst mistakes (as I have purposely done in the example above) is not using full sentences in your answer. You must make as much reference back to the question as you can. The answers are what we are trying to remember, so we often forget what the question was, therefore we lose that connection between them.
If you have a phone or computer which I am guessing you have, try using Quizlet, an app/website designed specifically for making flashcards. This helps as it reduces the time making handheld flashcards, you can access them almost wherever you have wifi and there is no limit to how many flashcards you can make in one set. This allows for a collection of in-depth QUESTION AND ANSWER flashcards. Like I have said in my before post, having to actively search through all the information stored in your brain to find that one bit of information to help answer the question, it will allow you to easily remember it with practice.
Whilst revising your question and answer flashcards, it is also important that you understand the topic you are revising. For some, it is quite easy to visually remember the answer to a question but not understand what the question is even talking about (this is definitely me sometimes) This is why if you feel unsure about a part of a topic, you NEED to actively search it up on google, youtube or ask your teachers, as relying on the flashcards giving you the information is not going to be enough to solidly understand what this topic is about.
Furthermore, I cannot stress this one enough. DO PRACTICE PAPERS. It's all well and good getting all 40 questions right during your active recall, but once you actually try a paper, you will really see where your mistakes are stemming from - be it, you don't understand a section, or you haven't revised it enough.
Hope this helps answer the questions you had! If you have any more, feel free to ask, I'm more than happy to help.
Also, are you doing AQA Sciences, if so, I can direct you to my Quizlet account which has almost all the sections done for Biology and Physics paper 1. I am almost finished completing Chemistry Paper 1, and then will be moving on to Paper 2. If not, then I'm sure there are other accounts ready with flashcards from your spec.
Have a nice day!
Reply 73
I'm a geography teacher. Enjoy your GCSEs. The main thing you can do is just keep well organised notes which will make revision quick and easy when the time comes. Be inquisitive and try and find your interests :smile:
Original post by mollymop902
I'm glad it helped! I do believe that using one-sided flashcards when you are putting 4-5 points onto one flashcard can help for some, but likely it won't help you remember it long term. In my opinion, the method is much similar to cramming, even if you plan to read over them more than once it still isn't the most effective way to revise. One of the most helpful ways is likely to use the revision guides you have been given (hopefully, but if not, Bitesize is a good resource) to help make the flashcards. You're looking for KEY information which the guide is there to point out for you, and from then you can make question and answer flashcards by reworking the information into a question (e.g. 'The halogens are in period 7 of the periodic table' to QUESTION: 'Period 7 of the periodic table contains?' ANSWER: 'The Halogens') It is also important to note that if you make question and answer flashcards, one of the worst mistakes (as I have purposely done in the example above) is not using full sentences in your answer. You must make as much reference back to the question as you can. The answers are what we are trying to remember, so we often forget what the question was, therefore we lose that connection between them.
If you have a phone or computer which I am guessing you have, try using Quizlet, an app/website designed specifically for making flashcards. This helps as it reduces the time making handheld flashcards, you can access them almost wherever you have wifi and there is no limit to how many flashcards you can make in one set. This allows for a collection of in-depth QUESTION AND ANSWER flashcards. Like I have said in my before post, having to actively search through all the information stored in your brain to find that one bit of information to help answer the question, it will allow you to easily remember it with practice.
Whilst revising your question and answer flashcards, it is also important that you understand the topic you are revising. For some, it is quite easy to visually remember the answer to a question but not understand what the question is even talking about (this is definitely me sometimes) This is why if you feel unsure about a part of a topic, you NEED to actively search it up on google, youtube or ask your teachers, as relying on the flashcards giving you the information is not going to be enough to solidly understand what this topic is about.
Furthermore, I cannot stress this one enough. DO PRACTICE PAPERS. It's all well and good getting all 40 questions right during your active recall, but once you actually try a paper, you will really see where your mistakes are stemming from - be it, you don't understand a section, or you haven't revised it enough.
Hope this helps answer the questions you had! If you have any more, feel free to ask, I'm more than happy to help.
Also, are you doing AQA Sciences, if so, I can direct you to my Quizlet account which has almost all the sections done for Biology and Physics paper 1. I am almost finished completing Chemistry Paper 1, and then will be moving on to Paper 2. If not, then I'm sure there are other accounts ready with flashcards from your spec.
Have a nice day!

Thankyou so much for all of your advice and I will definitely start making some Q&A flashcards like you have suggested. I do AQA science so directing me to your Quizlet account would be extremely helpful (if you don't mind). My mocks are in November so will make sure to use your advice. THANKS again!
Reply 75
Hey guys i'm wondering on what i should do at the start of year 11.
Should i start revising and consolidate previous topics as i'm aiming for getting 8, or hopefully 9s.
My current grades on average is around grade 7+ overall.
My mocks start this December. Do i have enough time to boost my grade?
And if so, how can i do it before December?

I'm doing:
Maths higher
English (Language and lit)
Single sciences higher
Geography
DT product design
Computer science

Thanks a lot.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by _summerxo
Thankyou so much for all of your advice and I will definitely start making some Q&A flashcards like you have suggested. I do AQA science so directing me to your Quizlet account would be extremely helpful (if you don't mind). My mocks are in November so will make sure to use your advice. THANKS again!

You're very much welcome,
My Quizlet Account is mollymop902. This is also for anyone else wanting to revise for AQA Sciences.
Have fun revising!
Advice for English Language Spoken: I got a distinction in my spoken and i wrote it up and memorized it the morning of the exam ( i do not recommend this). What i did was speak about a topic i was familiar with and i had a personal relation to which is what you need to do for top marks. Try speaking about something that you can include a personal experience in because for top marks a personal experience is incredibly necessary. Try avoid just speaking out information you found in google because that's not what the exam board are looking for. I also recommend memorizing your speech so you can keep engaging with the audience and keeping eye contact with them but write down prompts on small flashcards in case you forget what to say. If you're stuck for a speech structure try watching some ted talks because they're engaging and can give you inspiration on how to structure your speech but don't copy the ted talks.

Some Speech Ideas I had:
- Do video games really cause violence?
-Video game addiction
-Vaccinations and autism argument
-Politics
-Freedom of speech
For those worried about scoring 3s or 4s in Y9, please know that "being clever" is no guarantee of good results. Hard work is what brings results. The results you get will depend on how much revision you do and your revision technique. Recalling info and writing practice questions is what it takes. Plus, listen to what your teachers are saying, and write that in your answers.
(edited 4 years ago)
yeah for the speaking I think the most important thing is to do a topic you're genuinely interested in. Don't just pick a topic because you think it would be easy, and try not to do something too generic (e.g. feminism, climate change etc)

I did mine on if we're living in a computer simulation, and managed to get a distinction. @blobfish90 it's interesting what you said about personal experiences, I knew a lot of people who didn't do any of that and still got distinctions but I guess it would help.

Also slides help but don't just read from it, i used beutiful ai fo slides

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending