The Student Room Group

Clearing Help!!!

Hi everyone,
I just got some REEEALLY bad grades (80 UCAS points) but I really want to get into medicine. I know it will be very difficult AND competitive but I would be grateful if anyone has any advice? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, do you know if there are any foundation courses? (UCLAN)
Original post by Doodle_786
Hi, do you know if there are any foundation courses? (UCLAN)

Hey there!

UCLan offer a Medical Sciences Foundation Entry course - after the first year of this course there is the opportunity for students to transfer to the MBBS course but it is important to note that whilst there is the opportunity to apply for Medicine MBBS at UCLan after one year on the BSc Medical Science (Foundation Entry), this is not a guaranteed progression route and there is no guarantee of an interview for the MBBS. Application to MBBS is a very competitive process.

You can find out more about the course, including course requirements here https://www.uclan.ac.uk/courses/bsc-hons-medical-sciences-foundation-entry.php

Hope this helps
Ryan
Hi,

Unfortunately there are no places available for 2019 entry in our MBBS Medicine degree. We do however offer a foundation course that might be of interest to you: BSc (Hons) Medical Sciences foundation entry:

This programme is a scientific degree that runs in the university's School of Medicine. The benefit of this is that you get additional support if you want to apply for UCLan's medicine course for 2020 entry including practice interviews etc.

On the foundation entry, dependent on your grades in first year you can potentially apply for the UCLan MBBS, Physician Associate Studies, Dental Hygiene and Dental Therapy, Pharmacy or Biomedical Sciences.

Please feel free to take a look at the course page linked above and if you have any further questions feel free to ask away.

Euan
Reply 4
Original post by UCLan Ambassador
Hi,

Unfortunately there are no places available for 2019 entry in our MBBS Medicine degree. We do however offer a foundation course that might be of interest to you: BSc (Hons) Medical Sciences foundation entry:

This programme is a scientific degree that runs in the university's School of Medicine. The benefit of this is that you get additional support if you want to apply for UCLan's medicine course for 2020 entry including practice interviews etc.

On the foundation entry, dependent on your grades in first year you can potentially apply for the UCLan MBBS, Physician Associate Studies, Dental Hygiene and Dental Therapy, Pharmacy or Biomedical Sciences.

Please feel free to take a look at the course page linked above and if you have any further questions feel free to ask away.

Euan

Hi, I have accepted the offer for the Foundation Entry on the UCAS website however it states that the University needs to confirm this offer. I was wondering when would the university confirm this offer? I also wanted to know are there going to be any open days for the university before, I start my course.

I can't wait to start in September. :smile:
Original post by Sanya.sh
Hi, I have accepted the offer for the Foundation Entry on the UCAS website however it states that the University needs to confirm this offer. I was wondering when would the university confirm this offer? I also wanted to know are there going to be any open days for the university before, I start my course.

I can't wait to start in September. :smile:

Hi :smile: congrats! We'll DM you because we'll need to get some further info to look into the status of your application. In regards to the Open Day, you can get a feel for our Preston City Campus by joining a student led campus tour throughout August, where dedicated staff and academics will be on hand to help you through Clearing and find the right course for you. No need to book, just turn up to our Students' Union on Fylde Road. See times and dates below:
Thursday 15 August, 10am-6pm
Friday 16 August, 10am-5pm
Saturday 17 & Sunday 18 August, 10am-4pm
Monday 19 - Friday 23 August, 10am-2pm
Tuesday 27 - Friday 30 August, 10am-2pm

If you can't make these dates you can arrange to go on a campus tour on a later date.
Thanks, Euan
Reply 6
Original post by UCLan Ambassador
Hi :smile: congrats! We'll DM you because we'll need to get some further info to look into the status of your application. In regards to the Open Day, you can get a feel for our Preston City Campus by joining a student led campus tour throughout August, where dedicated staff and academics will be on hand to help you through Clearing and find the right course for you. No need to book, just turn up to our Students' Union on Fylde Road. See times and dates below:
Thursday 15 August, 10am-6pm
Friday 16 August, 10am-5pm
Saturday 17 & Sunday 18 August, 10am-4pm
Monday 19 - Friday 23 August, 10am-2pm
Tuesday 27 - Friday 30 August, 10am-2pm

If you can't make these dates you can arrange to go on a campus tour on a later date.
Thanks, Euan

Thank You I will be attending City Campus Tour very soon.
Thank You I will be attending City Campus Tour very soon.

We look forward to meeting you soon!
Reply 8
Original post by UCLan Student
Hey there!

UCLan offer a Medical Sciences Foundation Entry course - after the first year of this course there is the opportunity for students to transfer to the MBBS course but it is important to note that whilst there is the opportunity to apply for Medicine MBBS at UCLan after one year on the BSc Medical Science (Foundation Entry), this is not a guaranteed progression route and there is no guarantee of an interview for the MBBS. Application to MBBS is a very competitive process.

You can find out more about the course, including course requirements here https://www.uclan.ac.uk/courses/bsc-hons-medical-sciences-foundation-entry.php

Hope this helps
Ryan

Hi! Thanks,

I have applied after getting a verbal offer so will be coming to Burnley campus this September!
I was wondering where I could find more information? i.e. example week timetable, what modules we study in 1st year and assessments?
Also how and when can we apply for funding?

Thanks!
Hi! Thanks,

I have applied after getting a verbal offer so will be coming to Burnley campus this September!
I was wondering where I could find more information? i.e. example week timetable, what modules we study in 1st year and assessments?

Thanks!

Amazing news! Can't wait to see you on campus in September!

You can see some info about the course on the webpage here: https://www.uclan.ac.uk/courses/bsc_hons_medical_sciences.php
But do feel free to contact the School of Medicine who will be able to contact academics for you and give you some more info about the modules (mention that you will be studying at the Burnley Campus):
Telephone: +44 (0)1772 891889
Email: [email protected]

Timetables are currently being finalised but they may be able to give you some generic info based off of previous years.

Info about funding can be found here: https://www.uclan.ac.uk/study_here/fees_and_finance/index.php
You will also find the contact details for the fees and finance dept. here too

Hope this helps!
Ry :smile:
Hi everyone,
I just got some REEEALLY bad grades (80 UCAS points) but I really want to get into medicine. I know it will be very difficult AND competitive but I would be grateful if anyone has any advice? Thanks.

Hi! Thanks,

Thanks!

Hey I am looking for a flat mate to share an apartment with, would love if you could get in touch I am also studying at Burnley Campus.
Reply 11
Hey I am looking for a flat mate to share an apartment with, would love if you could get in touch I am also studying at Burnley Campus.

Hi!
Sorry, staying at home.
Are you studying the foundation medical science?
Original post by DJLeeds2357

Yes I am. Are you? And is your campus at Burnley?
Yes
Do you know how many students they took on for medicine from this course.
What do you think to this course?
No I don’t I am afraid , I think this course is a good opportunity to look into many different degree it’s a good starting point. Are you going to book accommodation or do you already live there?
If i chose the course, then i will live there.
Have you any idea of accomodations?
If i chose the course, then i will live there.
Have you any idea of accomodations?

Yeah I am looking to share an apartment with another female. Near Burnley Campus. The apartment I saw is only a few minutes away from the campus. Because in Burnley they only do private accommodation for this year as the student accommodation is still in the making. What other course have you got in mind?
Reply 18

Yes
Hi my son will be commencing the medical sciences foundation degree at Burnley. It's a last minute decision as he initially applied for medicine in hull but unfortunately didn't get the grades. He didn't realise there's no onsite accomodation until 2020. Can anyone give advice as to accomodation as near as possible to campus? He hasn't been given his sign in details yet. Also does anyone have copies of previous years timetable to give him an idea of what to expect? Good luck to all starting this year. 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending