The Student Room Group

Is it worth going to a non top 15 University??

So I missed out on my main choice for doing Biochemistry at University of Liverpool and therefore got put into clearance.

I got offers from Salford + John Moores and Huddersfield for Biochemistry and I'm not sure which one to take and therefore I asked my smart[ass] friend and he said in his opinion its better to not go to Uni than go to Salford or John Moores and said that its not worth going to Uni thats not top 15 as a degree from a low tier uni wont be worth much.

Is this true?? Also for bonus points where do you guys think I should apply?? :/

Scroll to see replies

Unless you really want to go to one of the universities you listed, I would take a gap year and resit. Universities to apply to: Leeds, Sheffield, Lpool, Nottingham, Manchester, Birmingham
Original post by Rohan George
So I missed out on my main choice for doing Biochemistry at University of Liverpool and therefore got put into clearance.

I got offers from Salford + John Moores and Huddersfield for Biochemistry and I'm not sure which one to take and therefore I asked my smart[ass] friend and he said in his opinion its better to not go to Uni than go to Salford or John Moores and said that its not worth going to Uni thats not top 15 as a degree from a low tier uni wont be worth much.

Is this true?? Also for bonus points where do you guys think I should apply?? :/

Hi Rohan George,

I've just graduated from a degree at Staffordshire University, and I can honestly say that in my opinion, it's you that makes your degree worthwhile, not the institution where you studied or the lecturers that taught you. If you are happy because you're in a location that you feel is suited to you, on a course you actually enjoy doing the work for, then that is far more valuable than going to a university purely because they're in the Top 15. I have friends who went to prestigious universities but had a much worse experience than me and were very unhappy by the end. The important thing to remember is it's you who has to live or commute there, it's you who has to do the work and it's you who has to spend years of your life studying, so the decision needs to be in your best interest personally if you want a worthwhile university experience.

Hope that helps! If you have any questions, feel free to send them back to me!

Best of luck,
Hayley
Original post by StaffsUniHayley
Hi Rohan George,

I've just graduated from a degree at Staffordshire University, and I can honestly say that in my opinion, it's you that makes your degree worthwhile, not the institution where you studied or the lecturers that taught you. If you are happy because you're in a location that you feel is suited to you, on a course you actually enjoy doing the work for, then that is far more valuable than going to a university purely because they're in the Top 15. I have friends who went to prestigious universities but had a much worse experience than me and were very unhappy by the end. The important thing to remember is it's you who has to live or commute there, it's you who has to do the work and it's you who has to spend years of your life studying, so the decision needs to be in your best interest personally if you want a worthwhile university experience.

Hope that helps! If you have any questions, feel free to send them back to me!

Best of luck,
Hayley

Thanks Hayley, say if I wanted a specific job thats kinda competitive, will others have an advantage over me if say they went to a more prestigious University?
Original post by trZ15
Unless you really want to go to one of the universities you listed, I would take a gap year and resit. Universities to apply to: Leeds, Sheffield, Lpool, Nottingham, Manchester, Birmingham

Is it because of better learning experience or what?? Why do you think I should ?? :/ please be more specific!
Is it because of better learning experience or what?? Why do you think I should ?? :/ please be more specific!

Yeah an overall better environment and you'll be with like-minded people who want to achieve highly. Also for job prospects, unfortunately some places do discriminate and only seek employment from top universities, so although it will not necessarily guarantee employment, your job opportunities will be wider.

Thanks Hayley, say if I wanted a specific job thats kinda competitive, will others have an advantage over me if say they went to a more prestigious University?

If you have a good degree and experience employers will be interested. The majority are looking for 'graduates' and won't focus on university.
If you are able to get an internship/placement while you're studying that would really boost your CV.

Some people do shout pretty loudly about league tables and rankings. What matters most is what you think.

Which university are you feeling more drawn too? :smile:

It's hard to say without knowing the job and the employer but really, just holding a degree shows that you have an ability to work hard and stay dedicated to one thing, and many employers will see that as an advantage. At the same time, having the degree itself may not be the most desirable thing on your CV to an employer - they might prefer to see the experience you have in your chosen field, which university can give you the opportunities to get.

Just to give you an example - I'm in employment with a 12 hour contract, and I managed to get this job a month before I graduated, so it definitely wasn't the degree that got me the job!

Hayley
Depending on the job the Uni you go to can be very relevant. Do you think you could get into a 'better' Uni next time though?
Original post by Duane2501
Depending on the job the Uni you go to can be very relevant. Do you think you could get into a 'better' Uni next time though?

I mean ... yes... I was one grade off clearing for the Uni I wanted to go to which is a red brick Uni
Original post by She-Ra
If you have a good degree and experience employers will be interested. The majority are looking for 'graduates' and won't focus on university.
If you are able to get an internship/placement while you're studying that would really boost your CV.

Some people do shout pretty loudly about league tables and rankings. What matters most is what you think.

Which university are you feeling more drawn too? :smile:

Honestly I am so torn between decisions many of the smarter people I know are telling me its a bad decision and told me to resit the year but I feel resitting is gonna hold me back a year and I've heard Salford and John Moores are not good Universities idkkkkkk but John Moores does a sandwich degree so maybe what would you do if you were in my situation?
What would you guys do if you were in my situation [be ruthlessly honest] ?
Honestly I am so torn between decisions many of the smarter people I know are telling me its a bad decision and told me to resit the year but I feel resitting is gonna hold me back a year and I've heard Salford and John Moores are not good Universities idkkkkkk but John Moores does a sandwich degree so maybe what would you do if you were in my situation?

How are you feeling about Huddersfield?

Can you visit one of the universities this weekend?

The universities that your friends are referring to are mainly Russell Group universities - they have a strong name and research intensive which means they are generally placed higher up the league tables. The universities you have offers with are newer universities - I would check out TEF rankings and NSS scores for the courses you're interested in. This information should be on the web pages for these courses.

Your the one that will be living this experience so it has to feel right for you :smile:
Maybe wait a few days n the "better" universities might take u with ur grades as they've also got places to fill I wouldn't necessarily say go to top 15 or dont go at all there r some good universities 20-30 in the ranking obviously if u think a university is not good enough n I can fo better definitely retake take a gap year wat ever u have to do to go to a university that makes u happy n ur proud of
Original post by amal99
Maybe wait a few days n the "better" universities might take u with ur grades as they've also got places to fill I wouldn't necessarily say go to top 15 or dont go at all there r some good universities 20-30 in the ranking obviously if u think a university is not good enough n I can fo better definitely retake take a gap year wat ever u have to do to go to a university that makes u happy n ur proud of

Hello Amal any idea how long clearing is open till? Like I've got offers with John Moore and Salford but I don't want to end up losing those offers because I took too long.
Original post by She-Ra
How are you feeling about Huddersfield?

Can you visit one of the universities this weekend?

The universities that your friends are referring to are mainly Russell Group universities - they have a strong name and research intensive which means they are generally placed higher up the league tables. The universities you have offers with are newer universities - I would check out TEF rankings and NSS scores for the courses you're interested in. This information should be on the web pages for these courses.

Your the one that will be living this experience so it has to feel right for you :smile:

Huddersfield is a top Uni but I feel its too far away and its still not a top prestige university. But yeah I looked at the TEF rankings it bronze for Salford and John Moores doesn't have one but thank you for your advice
Clearing is open till mid Sept
Huddersfield is a top Uni but I feel its too far away and its still not a top prestige university. But yeah I looked at the TEF rankings it bronze for Salford and John Moores doesn't have one but thank you for your advice

Try ringing around tomorrow and see what's still on offer :smile:

You have to go where feels right for you.

Good luck!
There r quite a few universities in clearing offering biochemistry have u called them
Original post by amal99
There r quite a few universities in clearing offering biochemistry have u called them

Yeah but I got BBC so no top Universities [near me] asking for that grade range I really want to go to Uni of Liverpool though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending