The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Foundation year at UoM?

I got my grades and I missed my physics offer A*A*A... I got CCDD... lol

I dont know how I got that offer....

so Now I tried applying for a foundation year and when the website said theres no basic requirement their hotlines says I need BBC...

I called once and a woman said theyd consider me but the physics courses are full... I called another time and another lady picked up and she said that I needed BBC when the website says no such thing... and I called 3 times and she pops up!!!! Aaarghhhh!!

Now what do i do??? I need to go to UoM on any case possible!!

Scroll to see replies

University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Alevelissh*t

so Now I tried applying for a foundation year and when the website said theres no basic requirement their hotlines says I need BBC...

I called once and a woman said theyd consider me but the physics courses are full... I called another time and another lady picked up and she said that I needed BBC when the website says no such thing... and I called 3 times and she pops up!!!! Aaarghhhh!!

Foundation years are usually considered on a case by case basis - a lot of the time on websites for courses they say to get in touch to discuss your options. BBC sounds like their minimum requirements (these aren't always made public), so they won't accept lower than this.
The page on the UCAS website says BBC is the offer requirements... You could do a foundation year elsewhere and apply to UoM?

As above, looks like BBC is their minimum offer. Could you retake your A levels or do a foundation course elsewhere? Or look at clearing and see if you can do another course elsewhere? There are a lot of options, you will need to be flexible :smile:
Physics offers at Manchester were absolutely ridiculous this year, I was offered A*A*A with the A*s in further maths and physics. I also got a cambridge offer A*A*AA with the A*s in normal maths and physics.

My results were A*A*A*A- with the A in further maths. Thus, I missed my Manchester offer yet met my cambridge offer. Logic much
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MagnumKoishi
Physics offers at Manchester were absolutely ridiculous this year, I was offered A*A*A with the A*s in further maths and physics.

My results were A*A*A*A- with the A in further maths

I didnt get in... 😔
I didnt get in... 😔

I wouldn't have got in either, asking for an A* in further maths is ridiculous
I wouldn't have got in either, asking for an A* in further maths is ridiculous

Im broken on the inside... everyones abusing and mocking me...

Are they? There's nothing to be ashamed of in not meeting such a high offer
Are they? There's nothing to be ashamed of in not meeting such a high offer

I got CCDD... Im devastated

You've had a nasty shock but you will still have options with CCDD. Has Mancs turned you down for the foundation year? If so, other unis would still take you, Manchester are just a tough uni to get into
Original post by harrysbar
You've had a nasty shock but you will still have options with CCDD. Has Mancs turned you down for the foundation year? If so, other unis would still take you, Manchester are just a tough uni to get into

they put me down too... you dont get it.. I need to go to Manchester only
they put me down too... you dont get it.. I need to go to Manchester only

If you absolutely must be in Manchester, then you could try clearing at Manchester Met
If you absolutely must be in Manchester, then you could try clearing at Manchester Met

a russel group near Manchester would be good
a russel group near Manchester would be good

There's leeds and liverpool around an hour train journey away, but that'd be a pricey commute
There's leeds and liverpool around an hour train journey away, but that'd be a pricey commute

leeds and liverpool sound good... do they have foundation years??

Have you considered resitting your exams next summer instead?

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time of it today :frown:

I'm not sure, it's worth ringing them up if you're in clearing.

But taking a gap year and resitting sounds like a better idea tbh though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending